BK SEO

First Name
TOTO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WRANGLER 4DOOR/
Yes.
In Korea (and many Asian countries) I bet if it something doesn’t ship the next day and arrive in your hands the day after it would be considered atrocious!
because...
The land is not as large as the United States

haha.;;;;
Sponsored

OP
OP
BK SEO

BK SEO

First Name
TOTO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WRANGLER 4DOOR/
I ordered a Gobi rack in July of 2020. I'm still waiting for it 8 months later with a big trip planned in two months.

I would advise you not to get too excited when they say that the rack will ship in April. They are very, very far behind on orders. These days I call them about once a week and they're still working on July orders from 2020. Any time they've given me a shipping date that day comes and goes and they never contact me - I have to contact them.

I've spoken with Gobi on the phone many times. They often tell me, "It looks like the rack will be shipped out in two weeks", or, "It looks like it's ready to ship on Monday," or, "It looks like it will ship on the 24th," or, "our Jeep welder called in sick this week", or, "we had a big snow storm last week", or my favorite, "It's ready to go and should be shipping out today!"... I call them one week later after hearing nothing and they tell me it should be shipping in a few days. It's unbelievable.

I hope you get the rack soon, man, I really do. Hopefully we both get them soon. They better be damned good racks, because this has without question been the worst customer service experience I've ever had.

It's April 2021
I will wonder whether you have received the goods

I was looking forward to early April
I am once again disappointed.

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
It's April 2021
I will wonder whether you have received the goods

I was looking forward to early April
I am once again disappointed.
They did finally charge my card for the rack on March 23rd. They said it would be shipping out that week. I’m hoping that it gets delivered this week, but since they don’t give out tracking numbers for their large shipments I have to wait for the freight company to contact me to schedule a delivery. Hopefully it’s this week!

I think it’s safe to and that if your order was placed in September you will probably have to wait at least another two months for them to finish the rack and then add however long it takes to get it shipped to Korea.

I’ll let you know if it’s comes in this week!

OP
OP
BK SEO

BK SEO

First Name
TOTO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WRANGLER 4DOOR/
They did finally charge my card for the rack on March 23rd. They said it would be shipping out that week. I’m hoping that it gets delivered this week, but since they don’t give out tracking numbers for their large shipments I have to wait for the freight company to contact me to schedule a delivery. Hopefully it’s this week!

I think it’s safe to and that if your order was placed in September you will probably have to wait at least another two months for them to finish the rack and then add however long it takes to get it shipped to Korea.

I’ll let you know if it’s comes in this week!

I hope to hear the news you received the goods.

If I receive it in 2 months,

It took less than a year to get it.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

Thanks for letting me know.

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope to hear the news you received the goods.

If I receive it in 2 months,

It took less than a year to get it.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

Thanks for letting me know.
Haha, I don't know either! I think I'll be happy when it's installed, but it has been very frustrating.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BK SEO

BK SEO

First Name
TOTO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WRANGLER 4DOOR/
Haha, I don't know either! I think I'll be happy when it's installed, but it has been very frustrating.

Did you get a lek?
I'm curious about the reviews

I'm still no news...ㅜ

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get a lek?
I'm curious about the reviews

I'm still no news...ㅜ

Yes, it finally arrived last Monday on the 12th. Sorry I forgot to post about it! Here are some photos of it installed. I ordered some Maxtrax brackets which mysteriously did not arrive. When I called they said they were backordered and they should be shipping them this week or next. There was no communication about this ahead of time so that was frustrating. I absolutely do NOT believe they will ship when they say they will given their record on such promises, but, regardless, the rack itself is installed and I'm pretty happy with it. The vehicle definitely feels different even with the rack unloaded. I was averaging 20MPG before it was installed but in the past week or so I've averaged around 17.5/18. I'll have to give it more time to see just how much fuel economy is affected, but there is definitely a change (which was to be expected).

The rack adds a lot of wind resistance as well - it's just harder to move. I drive a manual transmission and I find that after the install I frequently have to drive one gear lower than I'm used to in most situations.

I have lots of plans for the rack: slide out solar panel, privacy curtain (for a hot water shower, changing clothes, and a camping toilet set up), tools/spares storage and potentially a roof top tent in the future, so I think this rack really is perfect for my needs.

I must say that the installation instructions and overall build quality are EXCELLENT - it's really well built, packaged well, it has great installation instructions, and it just looks great in my opinion. I really DON'T like the GOBI branded bracket on the cowl cover. The JK version of the rack didn't have this and I think it looks like cheap fab work, but that's just a preference of mine. I generally don't like that kind of cutout lettering in fabrication - it seems to me that most people like it (or at least don't mind it), so I may have an unpopular opinion there. I thought about it leaving it off but I don't think it's just cosmetic. I think it helps stabilizes the other brackets in that area.

I was surprised that it did not come with a wind deflector. From the reading I did, Gobi doesn't offer this as standard anymore, but they do recommend it if you have a soft top Jeep. I'm not going to bother ordering one because I would be a year older by the time it arrived and I'm genuinely tired of dealing with them.

I was lucky to get two ladders as part of a promo they were doing. I think they look great. They're not as useful as they look in my opinion. Well, the bottom step is useful, but the other two rungs are very small and I had trouble getting my feet in them with boots on. I can also imagine getting my foot stuck, falling and breaking an ankle on those small rungs. You don't really need those rungs to get up to the top, though - that bottom step is all you need. I think I may attach a propane tank on one of the ladders making use of those rungs. Regardless, they look really cool and I do think that it is the best design for the available space. The clearance between the ladders and the back glass when opened is a few millimeters - it's a very precise fit.

It took me a long time to install. I fully installed it and then realized that the frame mount brackets on the back were not equal distance from the fender flares. That was proving to be a problem so I had to reinstall those brackets. You'll need to take your time with this install - read every page multiple times, and DON'T FORGET TO USE ANTI-SEIZE ON STAINLESS STEEL HARDWARE.

I used anti-seize the whole time until I ran out (Gobi provides you with a packet that is almost exactly as much as you need), and then I decided to try and finish up with the ladder install just to see what it looks like with the plan to come back the next day and remove the hardware and add anti-seize. That hardware seized immediately and I had to use a Dremel cutting wheel to get the bolts off, drive to the hardware store and buy replacements, and then try again.

Anyway, I hope these are helpful tips and information about the rack. No doubt it is a great product. That being said, I'm not sure it was worth the hassle of dealing with the company. I know these are particularly difficult times for lots of companies, but they have had a bad reputation for some time now when it comes to production lead times. I don't mind the long wait as much as I mind the constant misinformation about the progress of my order. My last and final complaint was that the the freight company listed pickup as two weeks after I was charged for the order. When I had contacted Gobi after being charged to inquire about the order they assured me it was "going on the truck today or tomorrow". It's of course impossible to say for sure whether they purposely give misleading information when you press them about your order just to get you off their back, but it certainly felt that way by the end.

In summary, yes it's a great product, but for me getting it was a truly terrible experience. And I still am missing the Maxtrax brackets which I was hoping to have for a trip we are leaving for in one month. I fully expect not to have them by then, and that is a for sure annoying because I was ready to be finished dealing with them.

Happy to answer any more questions!

IMG_4356.JPG

IMG_4357.JPG

IMG_4358.JPG

IMG_4359.JPG

IMG_4360.JPG

OP
OP
BK SEO

BK SEO

First Name
TOTO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WRANGLER 4DOOR/
Yes, it finally arrived last Monday on the 12th. Sorry I forgot to post about it! Here are some photos of it installed. I ordered some Maxtrax brackets which mysteriously did not arrive. When I called they said they were backordered and they should be shipping them this week or next. There was no communication about this ahead of time so that was frustrating. I absolutely do NOT believe they will ship when they say they will given their record on such promises, but, regardless, the rack itself is installed and I'm pretty happy with it. The vehicle definitely feels different even with the rack unloaded. I was averaging 20MPG before it was installed but in the past week or so I've averaged around 17.5/18. I'll have to give it more time to see just how much fuel economy is affected, but there is definitely a change (which was to be expected).

The rack adds a lot of wind resistance as well - it's just harder to move. I drive a manual transmission and I find that after the install I frequently have to drive one gear lower than I'm used to in most situations.

I have lots of plans for the rack: slide out solar panel, privacy curtain (for a hot water shower, changing clothes, and a camping toilet set up), tools/spares storage and potentially a roof top tent in the future, so I think this rack really is perfect for my needs.

I must say that the installation instructions and overall build quality are EXCELLENT - it's really well built, packaged well, it has great installation instructions, and it just looks great in my opinion. I really DON'T like the GOBI branded bracket on the cowl cover. The JK version of the rack didn't have this and I think it looks like cheap fab work, but that's just a preference of mine. I generally don't like that kind of cutout lettering in fabrication - it seems to me that most people like it (or at least don't mind it), so I may have an unpopular opinion there. I thought about it leaving it off but I don't think it's just cosmetic. I think it helps stabilizes the other brackets in that area.

I was surprised that it did not come with a wind deflector. From the reading I did, Gobi doesn't offer this as standard anymore, but they do recommend it if you have a soft top Jeep. I'm not going to bother ordering one because I would be a year older by the time it arrived and I'm genuinely tired of dealing with them.

I was lucky to get two ladders as part of a promo they were doing. I think they look great. They're not as useful as they look in my opinion. Well, the bottom step is useful, but the other two rungs are very small and I had trouble getting my feet in them with boots on. I can also imagine getting my foot stuck, falling and breaking an ankle on those small rungs. You don't really need those rungs to get up to the top, though - that bottom step is all you need. I think I may attach a propane tank on one of the ladders making use of those rungs. Regardless, they look really cool and I do think that it is the best design for the available space. The clearance between the ladders and the back glass when opened is a few millimeters - it's a very precise fit.

It took me a long time to install. I fully installed it and then realized that the frame mount brackets on the back were not equal distance from the fender flares. That was proving to be a problem so I had to reinstall those brackets. You'll need to take your time with this install - read every page multiple times, and DON'T FORGET TO USE ANTI-SEIZE ON STAINLESS STEEL HARDWARE.

I used anti-seize the whole time until I ran out (Gobi provides you with a packet that is almost exactly as much as you need), and then I decided to try and finish up with the ladder install just to see what it looks like with the plan to come back the next day and remove the hardware and add anti-seize. That hardware seized immediately and I had to use a Dremel cutting wheel to get the bolts off, drive to the hardware store and buy replacements, and then try again.

Anyway, I hope these are helpful tips and information about the rack. No doubt it is a great product. That being said, I'm not sure it was worth the hassle of dealing with the company. I know these are particularly difficult times for lots of companies, but they have had a bad reputation for some time now when it comes to production lead times. I don't mind the long wait as much as I mind the constant misinformation about the progress of my order. My last and final complaint was that the the freight company listed pickup as two weeks after I was charged for the order. When I had contacted Gobi after being charged to inquire about the order they assured me it was "going on the truck today or tomorrow". It's of course impossible to say for sure whether they purposely give misleading information when you press them about your order just to get you off their back, but it certainly felt that way by the end.

In summary, yes it's a great product, but for me getting it was a truly terrible experience. And I still am missing the Maxtrax brackets which I was hoping to have for a trip we are leaving for in one month. I fully expect not to have them by then, and that is a for sure annoying because I was ready to be finished dealing with them.

Happy to answer any more questions!

Jeep Wrangler JL Hi ~ I'm korean~ Gobi Rack question IMG_4360.JPG

Congratulations!!
You succeeded after a long wait!

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
What you explained is
It contains everything I've been looking for.

Although there are missing parts
I don’t know when the parts will come again, but
I hope you get it safely before you travel.

It was difficult for me to translate long texts because I was not good at English.
It was nice to feel the good heart you want to convey to me.

I hope that someday the day will come to receive the product and install it.
I expect them to arrive before I replace the car.ㅠㅠ
At the time of the order, one ladder was a service, but it’s good to see them remember
(I was worried that I would have forgotten it because it was a long time.)

Seeing the attached picture, it looks nice.

I wish you a wonderful trip.!!!!!

FROM KOREA~
SEO.
Sponsored