First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Basically, what I would like to have would be about a 12” extension cable set that the male ends would stay plugged into the JL’s security gateway module and female ends would plug into the OEM cables male ends that originally plugged into the SGW module.

When the OEM cable ends are installed in the Tazer JL Gateway Bypass Module, the extension cable could be left plugged into SGW module (with the female ends free). So, if/when the Gateway Bypass Module needed to be removed it would a lot easier to plug the OEM cables into the optional extension cables instead of un-fun experience of plugging the OEM cables back into the difficult to reach SGW module.

I am taking my JL in soon for the ORP update and a minor warranty issue, installing and uninstalling the Tazer JL is a dreaded process when having to get dealer service done. A short set of extension cables would make this SO much easier.

I wish the SGW module would have been located in and easier to access location!
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I second that!

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Basically, what I would like to have would be about a 12” extension cable set that the male ends would stay plugged into the JL’s security gateway module and female ends would plug into the OEM cables male ends that originally plugged into the SGW module.

When the OEM cable ends are installed in the Tazer JL Gateway Bypass Module, the extension cable could be left plugged into SGW module (with the female ends free). So, if/when the Gateway Bypass Module needed to be removed it would a lot easier to plug the OEM cables into the optional extension cables instead of un-fun experience of plugging the OEM cables back into the difficult to reach SGW module.

I am taking my JL in soon for the ORP update and a minor warranty issue, installing and uninstalling the Tazer JL is a dreaded process when having to get dealer service done. A short set of extension cables would make this SO much easier.

I wish the SGW module would have been located in and easier to access location!
I was thinking the same!!! Pain in the Butt! LOL

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I lobbied for the same thing after installing my Tazer a couple of months ago

J99

First Name
Josue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2019
I also had issues removing the cables to the SGW. I am dreading the visit to the dealer for service.
If I order a spare SGW (around $75) can I just plug the cables back o that one before going to the dealer for service?

MgcCrkr

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2018 JLU Sahara
I'd also purchase the extension.

Wanted to edit that I have the Tazer Mini and a 2019 JL. There is very limited space, even with panels removed, to plug/unplug the device. My JL has also had several trips to service and is started having more steering issues so will probably be back in the shop soon and part of the fix requires a software flash I believe.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Can't disagree that this would be pretty cool to have.

That said, I've been to the dealer a ton of times since owning my '18 JLUR, mostly for warranty/recall work, and all I do is unplug the OBD2 side of the Tazer (I do use an extension) so that they can plug in their OBD2 device to get mileage and VIN data. They, at least my dealer, could care less if the Tazer's in there or not, as long as it's not related to the work being done.

On that note, if it's an electrical issue the Jeep is encountering, then yes, you'd want to un-marry it and remove it completely so they can rule out what may be causing it.

Have a candid discussion with your service rep. It may save you a ton of time/energy.

J99

First Name
Josue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2019
Would buy it as soon as available!

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Yes a PITA but it gets better the more you do it I promise. You just start figuring out the angles etc. Trust me with an 18 I know.

Having the extension left in is going to tell the dealer something is up and I assume you all are taking out the Tazer for just that reason so I do not see any value in having that extension. I assume the work to make those and the cost he isn't going to make much profit and sales will be miniscule.

MgcCrkr

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2018 JLU Sahara
Yes a PITA but it gets better the more you do it I promise. You just start figuring out the angles etc. Trust me with an 18 I know.

Having the extension left in is going to tell the dealer something is up and I assume you all are taking out the Tazer for just that reason so I do not see any value in having that extension. I assume the work to make those and the cost he isn't going to make much profit and sales will be miniscule.
No. Not trying to hide anything from the from service center, they know I use one and don't care as long as it is removed so they can flash software during service and protect the device from damage. I'm glad you don't seem to have trouble with yours. I have Multiple Sclerosis and an extension would help a great deal.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
The mini doesn't have a component that plugs into the OBD port, I think that is last generation. I too would like the extension. My old bod and big mitts make access difficult.
Sponsored