Hesitant Winch Question.

Vinny1

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 Pontiac Trans am WS6
On some forums this could start a fist fight of words so I will ask as carefully as I can. I just purchased my first Jeep a week ago. 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S 3.6/auto. So far loving it. Got a few accessories coming, tire cover, gas lid, a few tasteful stickers and a Barricade winch bumper. Now this is going to be a 99% urban hauler and everyday ride for me. I was thinking about a winch maybe later (Christmas?) My question is....
What winch in the $500 +/- range for a Jeep that may not use on but once a year or even less (maybe never). I figure the Badlands must be pretty good as I haven't seen any bad reviews, or maybe the Smittybilt. For a little more there is the Warn evo 10. I would guess the warn is the best since it has the name to go with it. I think I want a regular cable as I guess the one with cord may rot over time? What I mainly want is a dependable winch no matter what brand. If sits on the front of the Jeep for a year or more and I finally need it it works.

I know there are probably many threads about this and that but I have a short amount of time to look into this.

Thanks
Vinny
Sponsored

OP
OP

Vinny1

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess the real question I'm asking is about longevity experiences with these.

OP
OP

Vinny1

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I could probably do that 6 to 8 weeks. Whatever I get I hope it would come with a cover or maybe a universal cover? I just worry about how well the motor is sealed.

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If not needed immediately, I would wait for a sale to get the best price available regardless of which winch you choose. I bought my Smittybilt XRC Gen3 two months before getting 2020 JLUR because I found a great deal during the holidays.

I haven’t come across an instance where I’ve needed to use it yet but to the point @Rudolph Hart makes, I do retention it every two months.

In preparation for some trips out west this fall, I’ve been doing some practice pulls with it on trails that certainly don’t require it. I’m a firm believer of practicing in situations you don’t need recovery gear so you know what to do in a real recovery situation.

I’ve been really pleased with it during these practice rounds but we all know its performance only matters when it’s actually needed in a recovery.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Vinny1

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. It's a little surprising to me the the Harbor Freight winch gets good reviews so often. I do buy from them but I also understand what I got is of lower quality and you know what they say! you get what you pay for.
Where, without me looking, is the Smittybuilt winch made?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Thanks for the info. It's a little surprising to me the the Harbor Freight winch gets good reviews so often. I do buy from them but I also understand what I got is of lower quality and you know what they say! you get what you pay for.
china

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
On some forums this could start a fist fight of words so I will ask as carefully as I can. I just purchased my first Jeep a week ago. 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S 3.6/auto. So far loving it. Got a few accessories coming, tire cover, gas lid, a few tasteful stickers and a Barricade winch bumper. Now this is going to be a 99% urban hauler and everyday ride for me. I was thinking about a winch maybe later (Christmas?) My question is....
What winch in the $500 +/- range for a Jeep that may not use on but once a year or even less (maybe never). I figure the Badlands must be pretty good as I haven't seen any bad reviews, or maybe the Smittybilt. For a little more there is the Warn evo 10. I would guess the warn is the best since it has the name to go with it. I think I want a regular cable as I guess the one with cord may rot over time? What I mainly want is a dependable winch no matter what brand. If sits on the front of the Jeep for a year or more and I finally need it it works.

I know there are probably many threads about this and that but I have a short amount of time to look into this.

Thanks
Vinny
Based on what you wrote go with the Warn EVO series. Not the cheapest yet not on the overly expensive side either. It’s a good mid price “insurance policy” winch. I would recommend synthetic line though as it does not easily deteriorate (7 years on my last line in sunny, dry desert heat) is much safer and easier to use especially for someone that does not do a lot of winching or has limited experience with winching.

I have owned my fair share of overly expensive brand name winches and have used them to help out a good number of folks(mostly H2/H3 and Subarus). I have not had to use them for self rescue/recovery and feel I have been “over buying” for that reason. This time around for my 2020 JLUR I am looking at the mid to upper mid priced winches and the EVO series is on top of the list.

It has a big name brand with a history of long term quality and reliability that can be trusted to be there when needed, but at a price point more suited to the “insurance policy” type usage.

OP
OP

Vinny1

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that's what I have been thinking. I can get the warn for about $200 or so over the badlands.
I don't know I have time. I'll think about it.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Have you also thought about the added weight? you are talking heavy bumper + winch on a stock sport suspension. Your front will sag quite a bit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Vinny1

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have thought about this. Heavier Front springs?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have thought about this. Heavier Front springs?
You have to measure how much you are sagging and add spacers. Another route is to buy a rubicon suspension, but that one will sag too and you will need spacers anyway, might sag less if you get springs from a metal bumper rubi.

You could also measure the sag and get springs with X numbers higher, where a digit increment in X equals roughly .5in.

Spacers on your stock suspension is the cheapest and easiest if you don't want to upgrade your stock articulation and height.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Warn Evo series winches are manufactured in China too.

OP
OP

Vinny1

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting to know about the Warn. I looked at the Badlands specs and it weighs 86 lbs. I don't know how much the bumper weighs but considering I will be removing my factory bumper I might not be adding but 100 to 120 or so pounds. Would it make it sag that much?

OP
OP

Vinny1

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Barricade bumper weighs 71 lbs. Factory bumper weighs????? 40?
Sponsored