Sponsored

Hertz liquidating JL Wranglers - Are these a good deal?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
if i knew that and that guy was my saleman. i'd have to pretend that i wanted the red wrangler. so he can do the sales tactic. after its all done shown off, i tell him i want the granite on instead of the red one.
But you aren’t as dumb as his customers were.

Another thing he’d like to do was tell the customer to take the vehicle up to 70mph on a back road - and this was in a BRAND new vehicle - and then without warning, would all of a sudden yell out of silence, “OMG STEPPPP ON THE BRAKES!!!!” And then they would panic, slam on the brakes and feel the ABS kick in to which he’d say, “dat right dhere is da smood pumpin abs braking. Right dhere.” And these customers would fall for it.

Every. Single. Time. I won’t name the dealership as this was a very long time ago and I went with this guy on a demo to see what he did that was making him so successful. Of course I didn’t adopt his horrible techniques and never rode with him again.

That fucker. :CWL:
Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Aren't they one of those companies that are continuously "liquidating" their cars when they get 1 year old or a certain number of miles?

Johnczar4

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 Wrangler Sport S
How do most people treat a rental car when they have it... like they don’t care about the car. Not fantastic deals either and car carries no manufacturers warranty as they were commercial vehicles I believe. As others have said. For a few grand more get a new one. Shop online to get the best price then see if local dealer will match

Reactions: VNT

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
There are so many incentives right now from the factory that buying used, especially from a rental car company, doesn't make sense. Also, having a friend who works at Enterprise, he told me that if the rental car company does any repairs to the body in their own in-house shop, the accident and repair will never show up on the CarFax unless the accident was reported to the police or filed with the DMV. In addition, if they do fleet maintenance, good luck on the maintenance records or quality of the work. I never understood the rationale with selling rental cars so high. They more than get back their initial investment from the rental rates and they get to depreciate the asset. It's like car dealers who go back $5,000.00 off of book for a trade and then sell it for mid to high book on the retail end and make $10k over the entire deal and then don't budge on the price. SMH. It's all a sham, a scam and a shame...

Reactions: VNT

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
There are so many incentives right now from the factory that buying used, especially from a rental car company, doesn't make sense.
Used prices don't make that much sense but the incentives are not as good at the low end of the market as some people think. I've been shopping the past few weeks and I'm not finding very much incentive that actually applies. Like I said above I found an absolutely stripped model and the discount was $3k off of MSRP, they said that I didn't qualify for some of the incentives. This was a stripped model and actual price of the vehicle was $35k. Hertz doesn't buy stripped models, theirs are a little bit nicer. New vehicles equivalent to that are running at least $38k in my area right now. So compare the no-haggle prices that Hertz is advertising with $38k for new and decide if it is a good deal or not. But frankly you can find used 2017 JKU sports advertised for $35k, that's why I say the used market is all out of whack. I don't know that the Hertz listings make sense, but they are in line with other used listings and don't really look bad. Now if a person is interested in a Sahara, the Hertz listings start to look pretty good. This is of course ignoring the question of whether you would buy a rental car. I've been so frustrated in trying to buy a new vehicle that a reasonably priced used vehicle sounds good to me.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Have you ever heard the term "drive it likes it's stolen"? Rental cars tend to be abused by many, it's not their ride. I've seen plenty of rental Jeeps that were being abused off road. It happens all the time here in AZ. I can remember one that was a Hertz Rental coming down the Devils Staircase in Sedona where the crowd was yelling "keep chiping away at those rocks, you are making it easier for me to come down". I am always suspect about buying a used Jeep but 100% more with a rental.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can remember one that was a Hertz Rental coming down the Devils Staircase in Sedona where the crowd was yelling "keep chiping away at those rocks, you are making it easier for me to come down".
The fine print in the rental contract usually excludes off road. Bring it back dirty with scratched up skid plates and they might not be happy with you. However I did see a video on youtube where someone took a little Hyundai SUV on some Utah trail and got stuck. The little Hun was pretty torn up underneath by then. What the recovery driver had to do to tow it back up a rough hill didn't help matters. That was probably a pretty expensive rental. I wouldn't mind buying a rental myself but it would have to have enough savings to make it worthwhile.

Gregicon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Here's all you need to know: the CHEAPEST Hertz Wrangler - the 2019 Sport Unlimited 4 pot, with almost 29.5K RENTAL miles on it, is listed for $1,200 dollars MORE than the 2019 Unlimited Sport I bought brand spankin' new from Bournival in Portsmouth NH 5 months ago...

And mine has the full new vehicle warranty, no real miles when I bought it, and that super important new car smell...did I mention it's Punk'n!! Also, 3.6L, anti-spin diff, off road tires, and rock rails!!! Hertz is delusional, but you watch - somewhere out there, they'll find 17 suckers to take the bait....

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's all you need to know: the CHEAPEST Hertz Wrangler - the 2019 Sport Unlimited 4 pot, with almost 29.5K RENTAL miles on it, is listed for $1,200 dollars MORE than the 2019 Unlimited Sport I bought brand spankin' new from Bournival in Portsmouth NH 5 months ago..
You were very lucky with that deal. I have searched extensively within 500 mile radius of my area. I've found a few 2019s, they are almost always priced higher than similar 2020 because they don't have the employee pricing incentive. Like I've said, car pricing is crazy right now, makes no sense.

Gregicon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
You were very lucky with that deal. I have searched extensively within 500 mile radius of my area. I've found a few 2019s, they are almost always priced higher than similar 2020 because they don't have the employee pricing incentive. Like I've said, car pricing is crazy right now, makes no sense.
Roger that.....I've always had good luck buying at the end of a model year, as the new model year is coming into dealers. Seems like that's when the factory cash on the hood is the best.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Don't buy shite from Hertz.
They payed out 12 million dollars in bonuses before filing bankruptcy.
Plus there are no deals there that you cant get from a dealer on a new one that jack shitstain hasn't driven like its a porshe.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I rented this out of Sacramento in December. I probably wouldn't buy this one if you see it around.

20191205_164529.jpg

20191210_153453.jpg

20191210_153651.jpg

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I worked for Enterprise for a brief stint after college. Sold 2 of their rental cars....

Would NEVER recommend someone buying a used rental car (and didn't in the two instances wher the customers wanted to buy them). If you saw how we drove them and how poorly the maintenance was followed as well as unscrupulous Branch Managers (and AMs) who would falsify the records, you'd never consider one.
What about buying from Carmax. Most of their vehicles are fleet vehicles, meaning they get most of their inventory from renatal companies. I bought 2015 Jetta from them with 6k miles and gotta say it was like a new car, including the smell. I guess I got lucky.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That makes me really curious-
that rental back in post #35, how did you manage to break the turn signal lever, seat adjustment lever, AND scuff the tail light?
lol.......sick'o

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No experience with Carmax. Didn't know they sold fleet vehicles....that doesn't mean the one you got was a rental (unless you got a carfax or something)...could have been a fleet car for a company.
They are required to tell you that it was part of a fleet. That's how I knew.
Sponsored