Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Ken, that’s a nice stubby Jeep you got there! ;) Welcome, and congrats! I hope you don’t mind me being a JLU 4-door smartass! The friendly teasing is incessant on this forum, one of the reasons why I love it!
Sponsored

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Nice Jeep you have there. I have always liked the granite grey color....even though I went with Red for mine.

Have you seen the JP easter eggs on the Rubicon floor mats?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Dude!!! It would be stupid of me make fun of a guy who owns the doujo style of Wabujitsu!! Sensei! I am super honored that you even drop me a note and say hi - even though you are self proclaimed smart ass who own a 4 doors JLU! I saw your Jeep and it looks awesome and the stealth black totally fits you! You can go shinobu on your adversary with that awesome jeep of yours and by the time they got pwn'ed its too late (whaaaaa??!!) :bandit: Just like you I really love interacting with people in this forum - and since I am a newbie I am being super mellow (yeah my first target will be Kluk). Thank you for your welcome. Here is looking to have incessant (be careful for what you ask for haha) bantering and joking with you!

Yours respectfully,
Stubby Jeep Kohai

ninja.png
Ken Kohai, that was awesome! I think you are the first person to actually google my username! I suspect that you too have some experience in the arts? A Shinobi, perhaps? If so, I have to keep an eye on your sneaky self! You honor me with your teasing, my friend!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Master Sensei! Yeah I try to do my due diligence. I wish I have any experience in any martial art! The only advantage that I have is that I am Chinese (hence everyone thinks that I know Kung Fu! - in reference to Neo statement in the Matrix) I put a hint to my asian background with the forum title (Herro from New Jersey - as a joke). However, I think I am too stocky to do any serious martial art but I have been honored with the name Po (geddit? Look at the picture below) by my friends :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I take that with much honor (not) (I am called Fuzzy Wuzzy in college - cause I am stocky guy whom err am asian in DNA and you know .... Fuzzy Wuzzy wus a bear... fuzzy wuzzy......err...... you get it) It was kind of funny to strangers that my friends would call me "Hey Fuzz or Hey Fuzzy" and those that don't know me would think - umm do what now? Why do they call him fuzzy... he is nothing but).

Oh Mreow! Life is good! No complain. I will always honor you Master Sensei! I am a disciple of Smartass'ism too!

Hiyaaaaa

po.png
Ken, please call me Jeff. Even when I teach, I don’t care for the titles much. It’s a result of my Judo and BJJ background. However, henceforth I will call you Sifu, a Sifu of KenPo! By the way, the Japanese “kenpo” is “quanfa“ in one of the Chinese dialects.

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Hey Matt!! Thanks. I have heard of Jeep Easter Egg but I did not know that they have a JP for Rubicon floor mat!! I googled but I could not find it. Can you send me an image or a link? THis is pretty awesome!

Also believe it or not - my first color choice for my Jeep was red but the new JL firecracker red was a tad lighter than the previous red. And I am trouble - so I thought that I better not tempt fate (and police car haha) and get something darker! And then I turned my jeep into a JW Jeep!! Figures!! :facepalm:

Look around the 3:35 minute mark.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Okay Jeff!! Name is Ken - you really know the martial art really well. I can never accept the name Sifu - its way too honorary for me to wear. Just Ken is good. It is interesting that you know so much about the term. I cannot read Chinese and the only Chinese words that I can read was Japanese Kanji! Mom is pretty disappointed with me in that dept I would say, but I always make her laugh so she is okay with it.

If you ever wonder over to the tri-state region especially the big apple. Drop me a note and I will take you out to eat! Here's to making new friends! Cheers! :like:
Thank you, my new friend! I will certainly do that, and if you come down to FL, let me know!

An interesting thing about Japanese kanji (kanbun). The spoken languages of Japan and China are quite different, as you know . But...the traditional Japanese kanji is the standard Chinese spelling. I’ve done two military exercises in Japan, and have had Japanese visit my dojo. I have a tattoo on my chest in kanji - the Seven Virtues of Bushido. NONE of the Japanese I have showed it to could read it without running it through a translation app. Most Japanese, unless they are quite old, can only read hiragana or katakana, but NOT the traditional kanji. Even Okinawa had different languages in the Ryu Kyu Islands than the Japanese, before the Japanese Satsuma clan invaded and annexed the islands. Many Okinawans back then also spoke the southern Chinese dialects, as they had a close relationship with them (thus the creation of karate being a homologation of Okinawa Te and Southern Shaolin Kung fu).

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Jeff, I don't know if this forum is the discussion for this but I will be happy to have a personal conversation with you on this. However, Kanji is indeed Chinese writing, but they still stick to the traditional style of Chinese writing - not the simplified version that was introduced in China about a quarter of a century ago. By the way I am not from China.

While I don't doubt that your Japanese friend that visited your doujou understands Kanji - it could be that the Kanji character that was tattoed on you were not written correctly. If you give the tattoo artist a piece of art, they would copy the art - however when it comes to writing Kanji, strokes matter. There are differences between a stroke that started from the bottom or a stroke that started from top. Perhaps he could not recognized the letters or the combination of the Kanji just does not make sense to him.

And again with much respect, any Japanese that can read or writes Japanese do use "traditional" Kanji in their writing or publishing. Most Japanese have Kanji name. Every letter in Kanji can be pronounced in two way depending how it is used. On'yomi which are reading that are derived from traditional chinese meaning and kun yomi which is the japanese reading. Both share the same Kanji but depending on the context it might have slight different meaning.

Take for instance the word " 下 " which essentially means down - in kun'yomi it can be pronounced as " 下 " - し(shi)た(ta) (shita) which mean "down", it can also be pronounced as "下(sa)げ(ge)る(ru) which means "to hang". In On'yomi the same words is being use "下方" (entirely chinese letter) which is pronounced as " 下(か - ka)方(·ほう - hou) " which means "the lower part".
Kanji is commonly used with hiragana and katakana - and all young and old people in Japan if they speak Japanese would be able to read a sentence that have Kanji in it which is a norm. For instance "猫はテーブルの下にいます" -猫 (Neko - Kanji) は ha (in this case pronounced as wa) テーブル (teeburu -katakana)の (no) 下(shita - again Kanji) にいます (niimasu - again hiragana) - neko wa teeburu no shita ni imasu - means "The cat is under the table".

Japanese are very polite people - and I think most probably they are not sure about the Bushido tattoo Kanji and were to polite or leery about being presumptuous or dont want to come across as rude. So they feign innocence. :angel: But believe me -Japanese speakers do read and understand Kanji - of all ages. Children in kindergarten do learn basic simple Kanji. It is also common for a Japanese not to contradict someone that they met for the first time when presented with incorrect statement such as - only OLD Japanese people can read Kanji - they only read hiragana and katakana now. So they keep quiet.

Okinawan even if they are Japanese are different from the mainland Japanese. But that is a separate discussion. I might be pushing boundaries by explaining too much in this Jeep forum. If so my apologies.

The photo below shows Japanese magazines depicting Jeep or American vehicles. Notice that there are Kanji, hiragana and katakana letters all over the sentence.

Again I apologize if I was deviating from the subject matter of this forum. I thought I should clarify. Thanks :like:

91jIvYmFEDL.jpg

s-l640.jpg
Great post, and thanks for the education! I am pretty well educated on Japanese culture. I was talking with JGSDF troops, who are quite a bit more forthright with American troops, for whatever reason. I was told by the JGSDF interpreter that it was the older generation who read Kanji well. I can tell you many funny stories about the Japanese troops’ honesty and forthrightness. They are a funny, refreshing segment of the population there, but I don’t want to bog this thread down further. Peace, my brother. And by the way, my tattoo was designed by a Japanese calligrapher ;)

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Love welcoming another 2 door owner! Now don’t buy any parts or turn a single wrench...you’ll become addicted and start blowing entire nights doing research and paychecks buying parts!

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Jeff - the Japanese are totally one of a kind - they are society with high cultural context. I travel to Japan for vacation every two years or so - and sometimes I still have problem navigating through the society. I remember once, there was this very frail old lady who clearly need seats and I offered my seat in the train for her and oh wow she got angry at me and refuse the seat. My friend told me that I humiliated her independent ability to stand up on her own (say whaaaaat????).

You know who else is one of a kind? DING DING!!! Mr. Jeff Cook! In a good way!! :like:

HEY!!!! DID YOU JUST CHANGED YOUR PROFILE PHOTO??? What are you? Do you like change your profile photo every few days? :bandit:
Okay, I know you’re Chinese but this discussion has now moved into the Japanese realm, and thus I am extremely excited to share some humor. I think this guy’s accent and articulation of Japanese is spot on.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Whoa Rico!!! That is one sexy Jeep!!! I did not get a Rubicon because I don't think that I am doing a lot of off roading - but I do want to slowly modify my jeep as time goes by. But you have a really solid Jeep and it looks great in Ocean Blue!!! Thumbs up!!

Actually had I know about the proximic key entrance that is only available for 2 doors Rubicon I might have gotten a Rubicon too - but I found out that I cannot upgrade my Sport S with that feature until after I got my ride!! I also love the silver frame on the grill. If anyone knows any solution to this proximic entry thingy - ie the car will automatically unlock once I get closer, please share it with me. Thanks :)
Here is one of the threads on it. Not easy.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nstructions-parts-links-on-jl-wrangler.49241/

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I also found out that all the investment that I put into in souping up my Jeep will not increase value of the jeep for resale (I could be wrong but a lot of people told me that)
Everything I have read supports your statement. This is my first Jeep too so I do not have experience selling them. They have traditionally been hot sellers on the used market but with the increased production volumes of the JL I don’t know if that will still be true. But I’ve read many times that you won’t get back your investment in aftermarket parts when you sell. Some people keep stock parts then restore theirs to stock when they sell and they sell the aftermarket parts separately or use them on their next Jeep.

Overall the Jeep doesn’t seem to be an investment vehicle. You buy it to have fun driving and customizing it. You don’t buy it for resale if you customize it and you certainly don’t buy it for the fuel economy :)
Sponsored