Sponsored

Here's the Rubi spec's I plan to buy. Advice?

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
  • Banned
OK....I got some time before I want to take delivery.....so I am going to order a new Rubi on Tuesday. Due to a few other things going on....I dont need this vehicle until right after Christmas. I got a good salesman and dealership that will treat me fairly (10% off MSRP or more) so I think we can make a fair deal. No trade deal.....and I will take advantage of some lower prices for low cost finance (for a few months) then pay it off.

I'm not into hard-core off roading and rock crawling.....but I will do mostly off-road ghost towns and gold mining trails here in AZ that are reasonable and fun with a few friends.....and likely participate in a few group runs to some of these destinations. Not opposed to riding some rock trails along the way....as long as I don't damage the vehicle or get into roll-over situations, etc. Also like to do some hunting, target shooting and exploring in the desert. I could likely get along with less vehicle for my needs.....but why? I do like the capability of the Rubi to handle come what may drives. I plan to add aftermarket bumpers and a winch and a few other basic mods as time permits.

Here is what I am planning to buy:
Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with Penstar V6 and 8 speed AT.
Silver Billet Metallic
Std Black Wheels and std BSW Off Road Tires - (may upgrade to 35" tires and add a lift in the future).
Sky One Touch Power top. (this feature is made for me)
Leather Bucket Seats (black)
8.4" Nav and Alpine premium sound pkg. Nice.
Safety and Security system w/ remote start
Keyless entry
Trailer tow and HD Electrical pkg (w switches)
Safety Group
LED Lighting group
Cold Weather Group
4.10 gears

Last order issue hanging for me at this point is........Still on the fence on body colored fenders....but I think I like the contrasts and durability of this black fenders combo. Keeps everything black and siver.....and to my eye is great. Likely no right or wrong here. I've not been a big detailing guy......so these fenders allow me a bit of scratch freedom. :D

I'd appreciate any advice on things I am missing or may have overthought? The MSRP with shipping is going to be about $57,050 with freight.....and I think my price will be about $51 k before tax and license.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
For the cheap cost to upgrade I'd get painted fenders. You can always sell them for more than the price from the factory if you decide you don't care for them and the factory kits are cheap for unpainted fenders.

Jamin55

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor, Audi Q8, VW Tiguan
For the cheap cost to upgrade I'd get painted fenders. You can always sell them for more than the price from the factory if you decide you don't care for them and the factory kits are cheap for unpainted fenders.
This may not be a concern about standard fenders, but in my experience having owned several jeeps with them, when they get mud and dirt on them for extended periods it becomes embedded. Never really found a good way or cleaner to get it out. Have seen some solutions on the forum but still a pain if you want to keep them clean. Living in the mountains and having cold weather for up to 6 months a year stuff stays on the for long periods of time.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Just to be sure what most people think of as keyless entry is called “remote proximity keyless entry” on a Jeep and is an option. If you lock your doors regularly than it is a very nice feature.

You may have just been abbreviating, but wanted to be sure.

OP
OP
Foggy47

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
  • Banned
^^ Likely good advice Jamin. I have not owned the black fenders....and have not given thought to keeping them clean. I kinda like the contrasted look of the black fenders and their ability to minimize scratches, etc. But I may re-think the painted fenders. Thanks!

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I think you have it planned out well with your thinking and options. I would agree with @WalkingJL and get the painted fenders.

OP
OP
Foggy47

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
I think you have it planned out well with your thinking and options. I would agree with @WalkingJL and get the painted fenders.
I'm going to have a few more looks at the dealers on these black vs painted fenders. One thing you do get with the Sky One Touch option is a body color match on the balance of the roof section (just not the sky one fabric). So that does minimize the funky dirt / stain issues on the most important areas to me. I really like this paint as a part of the Sky One Touch option.

Still.....I just did not consider the maintenance on the black plastic as a negative. I kinda thought it to be scratch resistant and to clean up with a little ______ chemical. The extra price for painted fenders is not that big of a deal.

Processing this idea. THANKS!

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had painted fenders on my JK and the paint chipped off in a couple of places. Given this, I foolishly ordered painted fenders on my JL Rubicon and have no regrets. XD

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Here is what I am planning to buy:
Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with Penstar V6 and 8 speed AT.
Silver Billet Metallic
Std Black Wheels and std BSW Off Road Tires - (may upgrade to 35" tires and add a lift in the future).
Sky One Touch Power top. (this feature is made for me)
Leather Bucket Seats (black)
8.4" Nav and Alpine premium sound pkg. Nice.
Safety and Security system w/ remote start
Keyless entry
Trailer tow and HD Electrical pkg (w switches)
Safety Group
LED Lighting group
Cold Weather Group
4.10 gears
I'd appreciate any advice on things I am missing or may have overthought? The MSRP with shipping is going to be about $57,050 with freight.....and I think my price will be about $51 k before tax and license.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks for any input.
A big nope from me about the Sky One Touch Power top. This is your first Wrangler isn't it? The Sky One Touch is nothing like having the top off a Wrangler. Aside from it being one more thing to break, this guy's video shows how it can pop up from wind (watch at around 8:40):

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR, 2018 Raptor, 2018 GT350R, 2015 BMW 1200GS Adventure
I have owned 5 Wranglers and just ordered number 6. My YJ and anniversary editions both had painted flares. I didn't have a choice that's just how they came. I never has rock chips of any consequence, and they were easier to take care of. I just agonized over the same decision, as well as the color matched top, which I haven't had before. For $495 you can take them off and grab a pair of take off's cheap, if you decide that you want them unpainted. That's my plan. The unpainted version can be a PITA to keep clean, and they do fade eventually.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Foggy47

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A big nope from me about the Sky One Touch Power top. This is your first Wrangler isn't it? The Sky One Touch is nothing like having the top off a Wrangler. Aside from it being one more thing to break, this guy's video shows how it can pop up from wind (watch at around 8:40):
I think this guy is not very knowledgable on these tops. He is mostly guessing and not very good at what he is doing here. I am not overly concerned about water on this unit.....as it's going to spend its time here in the desert of OZ. I like the top, and most that own it so far are quite happy with it too.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I think this guy is not very knowledgable on these tops. He is mostly guessing and not very good at what he is doing here. I am not overly concerned about water on this unit.....as it's going to spend its time here in the desert of OZ. I like the top, and most that own it so far are quite happy with it too.
Well you asked and it's your money... I said what I said with no hidden buyers remorse and after what that guy demonstrated and showed in the video. If it gets pushed up so easily it's not a good fit. If rain is no concern then you might be fine.

Either way it doesn't give the same open air feeling that you get when a Wrangler's soft top is down... not even in the front because it the supporting structure protrudes in to the upwards field of view. Again, you asked and it's your money :)

OP
OP
Foggy47

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you go to the various threads FROM OWNERS of the Sky One Touch......they do not report these issues with this top. Almost to a man (woman) folks LOVE this top. So......I am simply saying this guy's video is out of touch with the real-world OWNERS of the sky one.......whom ALL seem to be satisfied with the performance, quality and water management issues. Just saying.

I so appreciate your concerns.....and can see where you could form a negative impression from the video you offered up.....but I think this guy is full of it. Carry on!

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
and can see where you could form a negative impression from the video you offered up.....but I think this guy is full of it. Carry on!
The part about it obstructing the upwards field of view is not based on what that guy said though. Enjoy your top.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
My Sky One-Touch Power Top fits much tighter. I live in Kansas where the crosswinds blow at 40mph routinely and we do not ha very many trees or traffic. Granted, if the sun is out - my top is down.
I raise and lower my top typically ten times a day. My top is open 95% of the time from March to October and 60% in the winter.
Whenever there is the least amount of tension I fully open the top and then close it. That seems to reset the tension. The have experienced issues is when the top is in motion and I an causing G-forces from a very fast and tight turn.
I have had a lot of Jeeps and convertible cars over the years. This is as good as it gets.
Sponsored