Here’s my thoughts on a budget friendly lift to start off

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I’d especially keep an eye on the track bars. If you wheel they will go fast.
I’m going adjustables next time. Eventually I think I want to do a long arm but that’s a ways off. Still have kids I need to support. 😂
Sponsored

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I am new to jeeps, lifts ect…. With that in mind I have been reading and searching the forums on the subjects there a lot of info, facts and opinions ect… so here my thoughts for a somewhat budget friendly lift to start off with and later move to better stuff. I have a 19 4dr wrangler unlimited sport with the 2.0l turbo. I was thinking of using this Rough Country 2.50-Inch Spring Suspension Lift Kit with Premium N3 Shocks and is it possible to add these to the setup Mopar 68322798AA Front Lower Control Arm for 18-23 Jeep Wrangler JL with 2" Mopar Lift. The reasons I am thinking of these kits are the options for spacers kits seem to not go to the 2.5 range or atleast on extreme terrain anyways unless my selections are not coming up. Also I don’t have to worry about the extended shock brackets for the stock shocks and the whole spacer setup. Which don’t get me wrong seems to work fine for alot of folks as a budget setup and I am in no way knocking it. Also thought about the caster thing as it changes with a lift so if I add the mopar 2” lift lca’s to the front it will bring the caster closer to where it should be stock plus using them are a reasonable cost for the budget and time being lift. What’s the thoughts on this way to go for now? Mostly a DD for me but eventually want to do some mild trails and stuff nothing crazy. But also want the look and go to possibly 35” tires. Thanks for the help and input anyone has on this.
Sounds like you've already been convinced to not do the RC but just to add in I started with a budget lift (2.5 RC suspension) and within a few months the rear was sagging and the ride was terrible. You'll never regret spending the money on a quality lift first.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going adjustables next time. Eventually I think I want to do a long arm but that’s a ways off. Still have kids I need to support. 😂
I definitely recommend doing long arms, best thing I’ve done to my rig by far…..

OP
OP

TIrvin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler unlimited sport
I went with 1.5" teraflex pucks to get me started, fully plan to do a proper lift toward the end of this year, now that I have steel bumper, winch, etc.

I do NOT envy you trying to do this research. There are a million different options, at a million different budgets, and every solution will get you people saying it's awesome and others claiming it's garbage.

The most frustrating part for me is that nearly every "kit" seems to still need this or that later. MOPAR LCAs to correct this, new steering stabilizer to address that, etc.

Also frustrating (and one of the benefits of pucks) is that I don't want a lot of lift. I fully plan to stick with 33s, so anything over ~2-3" is going to be too much.
I agree there are tons of options and ways to go for sure. I want to be able to put 35’s on mine if it’s possible so the 2.5” range is where it’s at for me don’t really want more than that myself. I still have time so and not really is there a so to speak budget way as I am seeing the same thing get this get that or this now or down the road. Lol I guess welcome to the money pit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TIrvin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler unlimited sport
Speaking from experience. I ran the RC 2.5” spacer kit for 2.5 years with 35”s. Switched out shocks to teraflex 9550’s and ran JKS quick disconnects. The ride wasn’t bad and it served me well for the off roading I did do which included blue trails such as crawl daddy and crawlers ridge. I wanted to try some more difficult trails but still keep the good DD driving. I went with AEV 2.5” lift. I netted 4” overall and the on road driving in my opinion is better than stock. It eats up any road deficiencies. I have not had a chance to play on the rocks with it yet but I am sure it will be able to do what I am comfortable with. The reason I like AEV is it is literally no maintenance to the system. I even left off the LCA brackets because I felt they hung to low for the wheeling I do. Only additional items I bought were a teraflex front and rear trac bar axle brackets. 1st pic is the spacer lift and 2nd pic is AEV lift. Also note I did switch to rubi fenders as well. 1st pic is still sport fenders.

7EE33D7E-B753-4149-AEC3-5D20410DFFBD.jpeg

24EE1D15-CDD0-449C-8325-427891BB3D30.jpeg
Thanks for the info

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
haven’t read anything on that lift. I will look into reviews and such thanks.
@wibornz kind of convinced me to be honest. I was crossed between the rancho and the dynatrac lift. Rides very nice for $800 with the rs9000xl shocks. Northridge has a forum discount too so it’s mid $700s if i remember correctly. I’m just shopping around for control arms and track bars next. Might go with rancho for it all to be honest.
Jeep Wrangler JL Here’s my thoughts on a budget friendly lift to start off 3D8E4FB5-03B8-4D28-A188-8460D500D247

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@wibornz kind of convinced me to be honest. I was crossed between the rancho and the dynatrac lift. Rides very nice for $800 with the rs9000xl shocks. Northridge has a forum discount too so it’s mid $700s if i remember correctly. I’m just shopping around for control arms and track bars next. Might go with rancho for it all to be honest.
3D8E4FB5-03B8-4D28-A188-8460D500D247.jpeg
Same here…@wibornz has PLENTY of post showing what the lift can do!

I got the RC Adjustable front and Rear Track Bars but I won’t be doing any wheeling anytime soon and feel they will be adequate for DD until the time I upgrade to the 3.5” MC Game Changer and 37s in a couple years.

Also what isn’t mentioned (and @wibornz again convinced me) is that the Rancho shocks have a full lifetime replacement warranty at no cost.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If you are trying to lift on a budget, a spacer lift is hard to beat. A set of rocksport shocks from metalcloak and the Mopar longer LCAs and you are good to go. If you want a better shock without spending much more, bilstein 5100s are a good balance of quality and price. Our 2019 wheeled all over the west including many trails in moab on a spacer lift and 37's. https://www.extremeterrain.com/allo...economy-spacer-suspension-lift-kit-61004.html
This $200 spacer kit gets you everything you need including bump stop extensions and longer sway bar end links. Add the shocks and lcas and you're only $600 into a suspension that can flex like this, and has the same spring rates as stock for a very similar to stock ride.
Jeep Wrangler JL Here’s my thoughts on a budget friendly lift to start off 20211003_105236
Jeep Wrangler JL Here’s my thoughts on a budget friendly lift to start off 20211003_105216
Jeep Wrangler JL Here’s my thoughts on a budget friendly lift to start off 20211003_105246

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I do like Rough Country, I have a fair amount of Rough Country stuff on my Wrangler. However, I do not trust Rough Country with any moving parts. Suspension systems aren't a good place to skimp.

Not necessarily saying that more money equals better parts here, but I would definitely lean towards the higher end products when doing a suspension lift.

Don't forget, the Rough Country steering stabilizer bar is one of the major reasons people get the steering wheel death wobble.
Jeep Wrangler JL Here’s my thoughts on a budget friendly lift to start off Screenshot_20230326-085743

For The low price of $55, you can have steering death wobble too!!!

On the flip side, like @Zandcwhite said, a spacer lift is hard to beat. I personally have a set of Rough Country 1.25" body spacers sitting in my garage right now. Again, it's a non-moving part, therefore I will skimp on price. ;)

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-b...nd=2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-4wd-756574
Jeep Wrangler JL Here’s my thoughts on a budget friendly lift to start off Screenshot_20230326-090614

I forget where, but I read somewhere a while back that if you're not doing a suspension lift, you shouldn't use any larger than 1.25" body spacers. However depending on the size of suspension lift you use, you can use up to 3" body spacers.

I personally will be running these 1.25" body spacers for the rest of my Wranglers life, even after I put on my 4" suspension lift in another couple years. Mostly because it's going to be a b**** putting it on, I ain't taking that s*** off again!!:LOL:

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I do like Rough Country, I have a fair amount of Rough Country stuff on my Wrangler. However, I do not trust Rough Country with any moving parts. Suspension systems aren't a good place to skimp.

Not necessarily saying that more money equals better parts here, but I would definitely lean towards the higher end products when doing a suspension lift.

Don't forget, the Rough Country steering stabilizer bar is one of the major reasons people get the steering wheel death wobble.
Jeep Wrangler JL Here’s my thoughts on a budget friendly lift to start off Screenshot_20230326-090614

For The low price of $55, you can have steering death wobble too!!!

On the flip side, like @Zandcwhite said, a spacer lift is hard to beat. I personally have a set of Rough Country 1.25" body spacers sitting in my garage right now. Again, it's a non-moving part, therefore I will skimp on price. ;)

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-b...nd=2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-4wd-756574

I forget where, but I read somewhere a while back that if you're not doing a suspension lift, you shouldn't use any larger than 1.25" body spacers. However depending on the size of suspension lift you use, you can use up to 3" body spacers.

I personally will be running these 1.25" body spacers for the rest of my Wranglers life, even after I put on my 4" suspension lift in another couple years. Mostly because it's going to be a b**** putting it on, I ain't taking that s*** off again!!:LOL:
Why would you go through the trouble of installing a body lift?
Sponsored