Here’s my thoughts on a budget friendly lift to start off

TIrvin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler unlimited sport
I am new to jeeps, lifts ect…. With that in mind I have been reading and searching the forums on the subjects there a lot of info, facts and opinions ect… so here my thoughts for a somewhat budget friendly lift to start off with and later move to better stuff. I have a 19 4dr wrangler unlimited sport with the 2.0l turbo. I was thinking of using this Rough Country 2.50-Inch Spring Suspension Lift Kit with Premium N3 Shocks and is it possible to add these to the setup Mopar 68322798AA Front Lower Control Arm for 18-23 Jeep Wrangler JL with 2" Mopar Lift. The reasons I am thinking of these kits are the options for spacers kits seem to not go to the 2.5 range or atleast on extreme terrain anyways unless my selections are not coming up. Also I don’t have to worry about the extended shock brackets for the stock shocks and the whole spacer setup. Which don’t get me wrong seems to work fine for alot of folks as a budget setup and I am in no way knocking it. Also thought about the caster thing as it changes with a lift so if I add the mopar 2” lift lca’s to the front it will bring the caster closer to where it should be stock plus using them are a reasonable cost for the budget and time being lift. What’s the thoughts on this way to go for now? Mostly a DD for me but eventually want to do some mild trails and stuff nothing crazy. But also want the look and go to possibly 35” tires. Thanks for the help and input anyone has on this.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I am new to jeeps, lifts ect…. With that in mind I have been reading and searching the forums on the subjects there a lot of info, facts and opinions ect… so here my thoughts for a somewhat budget friendly lift to start off with and later move to better stuff. I have a 19 4dr wrangler unlimited sport with the 2.0l turbo. I was thinking of using this Rough Country 2.50-Inch Spring Suspension Lift Kit with Premium N3 Shocks and is it possible to add these to the setup Mopar 68322798AA Front Lower Control Arm for 18-23 Jeep Wrangler JL with 2" Mopar Lift. The reasons I am thinking of these kits are the options for spacers kits seem to not go to the 2.5 range or atleast on extreme terrain anyways unless my selections are not coming up. Also I don’t have to worry about the extended shock brackets for the stock shocks and the whole spacer setup. Which don’t get me wrong seems to work fine for alot of folks as a budget setup and I am in no way knocking it. Also thought about the caster thing as it changes with a lift so if I add the mopar 2” lift lca’s to the front it will bring the caster closer to where it should be stock plus using them are a reasonable cost for the budget and time being lift. What’s the thoughts on this way to go for now? Mostly a DD for me but eventually want to do some mild trails and stuff nothing crazy. But also want the look and go to possibly 35” tires. Thanks for the help and input anyone has on this.
It’ll be fine. Just realize the RC stuff is pretty much bottom-of-the-line as far as quality. For the most part you get what you pay for with lifts. I’d try and sway you to the entry level offerings from Rock Krawler or Metalcloak but they’ll cost you a bit more. You’ll spend a little more but you won’t go chasing for more components that the RC kit is lacking. You’ll also have a bulletproof kit that will last a lifetime.

OP
OP

TIrvin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’ll be fine. Just realize the RC stuff is pretty much bottom-of-the-line as far as quality. For the most part you get what you pay for with lifts. I’d try and sway you to the entry level offerings from Rock Krawler or Metalcloak but they’ll cost you a bit more. You’ll spend a little more but you won’t go chasing for more components that the RC kit is lacking. You’ll also have a bulletproof kit that will last a lifetime.
Ok thanks for the input. I will look into them. I certainly understand what you’re saying. Maybe a little extra time of saving up will be worth it. Thank you.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Ok thanks for the input. I will look into them. I certainly understand what you’re saying. Maybe a little extra time of saving up will be worth it. Thank you.
It most certainly will be. You can get into a RK entry-level lift for not much more than what you’d spend on the RC stuff and have worlds better quality. There are forum discounts available at Northridge or call Marcus @River City Offroad . He’ll get you squared away.

OP
OP

TIrvin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It most certainly will be. You can get into a RK entry-level lift for not much more than what you’d spend on the RC stuff and have worlds better quality. There are forum discounts available at Northridge or call Marcus @River City Offroad . He’ll get you squared away.
Ok I will check into all that thank you

Sponsored

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Another possibility is the AEV lift. Not quite as good for offroad as the Rock Krawler or Metalcloak but the AEV comes with a Procal which changes tire size and if that is all you need then it can save you some money if you are going for a lift and larger tires (often added with the lift). The AEV also has different springs for heavy duty overlanding or a slightly lighter spring. I think AEV is worth considering.

PS I don't have a lift yet but my list is AEV, Teraflex, Rock Krawler and Metalcloak. In that order because I don't plan to do a lot of advanced off-roading and am probably more focused on overlanding and wanting good daily driver.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Fully agreed! A bit more money out of the gate for the Metalcloak True Dual Rate kit or the Rock Krawler equivalent, but they can both be completed in time a la carte as funds allow. In the end, it'll be less money spent because it keeps one moving in a forward direction vs doubling back and starting all over in the future.

OP
OP

TIrvin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another possibility is the AEV lift. Not quite as good for offroad as the Rock Krawler or Metalcloak but the AEV comes with a Procal which changes tire size and if that is all you need then it can save you some money if you are going for a lift and larger tires (often added with the lift). The AEV also has different springs for heavy duty overlanding or a slightly lighter spring. I think AEV is worth considering.

PS I don't have a lift yet but my list is AEV, Teraflex, Rock Krawler and Metalcloak. In that order because I don't plan to do a lot of advanced off-roading and am probably more focused on overlanding and wanting good daily driver.
Fully agreed! A bit more money out of the gate for the Metalcloak True Dual Rate kit or the Rock Krawler equivalent, but they can both be completed in time a la carte as funds allow. In the end, it'll be less money spent because it keeps one moving in a forward direction vs doubling back and starting all over in the future.
I am fully in agreement with u guys on spend a little more and get a better setup. I am certainly considering holding off and going with one of those kits. The one thing I did forget to add and the overlanding comment above made me think about this. As I don’t see me overlanding but I do have a side by side that I have to trailer to my riding areas. So that combined weight is right handy to 2100#’s so tailoring a kit towards the added weight might be the direction I need to go with the lift and tire setup also. Still have a lot of decisions to make. Lol Thanks for the help and info so far. Much appreciated

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am fully in agreement with u guys on spend a little more and get a better setup. I am certainly considering holding off and going with one of those kits. The one thing I did forget to add and the overlanding comment above made me think about this. As I don’t see me overlanding but I do have a side by side that I have to trailer to my riding areas. So that combined weight is right handy to 2100#’s so tailoring a kit towards the added weight might be the direction I need to go with the lift and tire setup also. Still have a lot of decisions to make. Lol Thanks for the help and info so far. Much appreciated
One option is to install higher spring rate rear coils to maintain a near level Jeep when towing. Only downside is having a stiffer feeling rear when not trailering.

The second option is air "helper" bags for the rear. They are simply cylindrical shaped bags with Schrader valves. When deflated they slip in between the rear spring coils, and when inflated are captured inside the springs. You simply need an air compressor to inflate them until the Jeep levels out with the loaded trailer hitched up. Deflate and remove them when not needed.

A third possible option is a load level hitch assembly. I'm not at all familiar with them to describe how they work. I'm not even sure if I got their name correct.

OP
OP

TIrvin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One option is to install higher spring rate rear coils to maintain a near level Jeep when towing. Only downside is having a stiffer feeling rear when not trailering.

The second option is air "helper" bags for the rear. They are simply cylindrical shaped bags with Schrader valves. When deflated they slip in between the rear spring coils, and when inflated are captured inside the springs. You simply need an air compressor to inflate them until the Jeep levels out with the loaded trailer hitched up. Deflate and remove them when not needed.

A third possible option is a load level hitch assembly. I'm not at all familiar with them to describe how they work. I'm not even sure if I got their name correct.
I understand what you’re saying there that bag setup might be the way to go for when I tow sounds simple enough and I don’t need to worry about the ride when not towing. The AEV and the rock krawler system says it has triple rate springs would the have effects when towing? It says also it has comfort and stability for DD. I also believe the aev and RK system mentions built with the idea of added weight from bumps, winch, and spare ect…. But RK mentions if building a heavy/ over lander to go 1” up in coils. I understand overall it can have a stiffer ride with a lift. Just as long as it’s not stupid stiff. Lol I have also read in the forum tires can play a part in that which I get that as well but that’s another story in itself. Lol these 2 kits the ARV and the RK sound like decent setups out of the box with a slightly higher price tag but getting quality stuff as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I understand what you’re saying there that bag setup might be the way to go for when I tow sounds simple enough and I don’t need to worry about the ride when not towing. The AEV and the rock krawler system says it has triple rate springs would the have effects when towing? It says also it has comfort and stability for DD. I also believe the aev and RK system mentions built with the idea of added weight from bumps, winch, and spare ect…. But RK mentions if building a heavy/ over lander to go 1” up in coils. I understand overall it can have a stiffer ride with a lift. Just as long as it’s not stupid stiff. Lol I have also read in the forum tires can play a part in that which I get that as well but that’s another story in itself. Lol these 2 kits the ARV and the RK sound like decent setups out of the box with a slightly higher price tag but getting quality stuff as well.
I'm a Metalcloak guy myself, so I am more familiar with their components. They are more akin to Rock Krawler than to aev, meaning more geared towards higher amounts of articulation that keeps the tires on the ground through deeper terrain.

Metalcloak uses dual rate springs. The softer section of coils are designed to fully compress at normal ride height, essentially acting like spring spacers, but when articulating offroad will extend and help keep the springs from falling out. The rest of the spring is at a rate meant to be a little stiffer than factory springs, but will maintain at or above advertised ride height after adding extra weight like rock sliders, tailgate reinforcement, winch, etc. My 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger sat at just under 4" of lift after the above items plus more.

Triple rate coils are the same as above, except the main use able spring has 2 different rates. The softer of the 2 is mainly to provide a bit more of a plush on road ride, because not much suspension travel is used on road. Offroad, they provide a bit more of a progressively firmer feel as the axle moves closer to the bumpstops.

Worth noting at this point, is that the spring rates mentioned so far are actually smaller differences. This is no where near as different as towing springs vs regular springs. In this context, the terms firm and stiff are referring to just enough to prevent sagging under the advertised height after adding weight from other mods, and being able to easily bottom out when dropping off of steps and ledges.

I've never heard any complaints about Metalcloak being too firm. They sell their springs according to 2 door or 4 door. For example, my previous 3.5" springs would give 4.5" on a 2 door, and my current 4.5" springs would give 5.5" on a 2 door. I've heard on several occasions the comments about Rock Krawler springs being a bit on the soft side, so it makes sense that they would recommend say 3.5" springs for a heavy 4 door that only wanted a 2.5" lift.

Both of these brands, if done right, will make the Jeep ride and handle better than stock.

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Also don’t discount Rancho 2” Sport Lift (3 1/2” for Sport and which I have but have not installed yet) which is supposed to have gotten 3” on a Rubicon. @wibornz can give a better review! I ordered the RS9000 adjustable shocks AND got these from Northridge 4X4 WITH the Rancho Geometry Correction Bracket for just over $700!!!

FYI…I originally was going the cheaper way with ordering the RC 2 1/2” spacer lift and RC geometry correction bracket for $300 but decided to sell them instead of installing because of the awesome price reduction I got for the Rancho kit I really wanted and I do have just under 48k miles on OEM suspension shocks and springs. I will be going 315/70R17 for tires size and AEV JK Borah wheels.

My future setup will be MC Game Changer 3 1/2” with 37s

Last edited:
OP
OP

TIrvin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a Metalcloak guy myself, so I am more familiar with their components. They are more akin to Rock Krawler than to aev, meaning more geared towards higher amounts of articulation that keeps the tires on the ground through deeper terrain.

Metalcloak uses dual rate springs. The softer section of coils are designed to fully compress at normal ride height, essentially acting like spring spacers, but when articulating offroad will extend and help keep the springs from falling out. The rest of the spring is at a rate meant to be a little stiffer than factory springs, but will maintain at or above advertised ride height after adding extra weight like rock sliders, tailgate reinforcement, winch, etc. My 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger sat at just under 4" of lift after the above items plus more.

Triple rate coils are the same as above, except the main use able spring has 2 different rates. The softer of the 2 is mainly to provide a bit more of a plush on road ride, because not much suspension travel is used on road. Offroad, they provide a bit more of a progressively firmer feel as the axle moves closer to the bumpstops.

Worth noting at this point, is that the spring rates mentioned so far are actually smaller differences. This is no where near as different as towing springs vs regular springs. In this context, the terms firm and stiff are referring to just enough to prevent sagging under the advertised height after adding weight from other mods, and being able to easily bottom out when dropping off of steps and ledges.

I've never heard any complaints about Metalcloak being too firm. They sell their springs according to 2 door or 4 door. For example, my previous 3.5" springs would give 4.5" on a 2 door, and my current 4.5" springs would give 5.5" on a 2 door. I've heard on several occasions the comments about Rock Krawler springs being a bit on the soft side, so it makes sense that they would recommend say 3.5" springs for a heavy 4 door that only wanted a 2.5" lift.

Both of these brands, if done right, will make the Jeep ride and handle better than stock.
Ok I got ya thanks for spelling all that out and taking the time to explain. I think I will now just search the lift I want and if towing ends up being an issues once I do the lift I will look into the air bag helpers just for towing only times. I am in no way in a rush so I have time to read more reviews on lifts and find the kit I want. Plus save for it. I have read some posts on here and reviews on sites to buy about a few brands metalcloak, Clayton, teraflex have good results as it seems read some others RC and a few others that have mixed reviews. Again thanks for your help and explaining things now to get the final decision and money. Lol

OP
OP

TIrvin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also don’t discount Rancho 2” Sport Lift (3 1/2” for Sport and which I have but have not installed yet) which is supposed to have gotten 3” on a Rubicon. @wibornz can give a better review! I ordered the RS9000 adjustable shocks AND got these from Northridge 4X4 WITH the Rancho Geometry Correction Bracket for just over $700!!!

FYI…I originally was going the cheaper way with ordering the RC 2 1/2” spacer lift and RC geometry correction bracket for $300 but decided to sell them instead of installing because of the awesome price reduction I got for the Rancho kit I really wanted and I do have just under 48k miles on OEM suspension shocks and springs. I will be going 315/70R17 for tires size and AEV JK Borah wheels.

My future setup will be MC Game Changer 3 1/2” with 37s
haven’t read anything on that lift. I will look into reviews and such thanks.