Sponsored

Hemi 6.4L 475hp swaps - where is the data?

outatime7

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2door
When I scour Instagram, it seems like AMW 4x4, DCD customs, and a few other shops are cranking out 6.4L Hemi swaps for the JL, yet I can't seem to find a single before and after, or otherwise comparison video showing how fast these things can put down the 0-60, quartermile, etc. compared with stock. How is this possible?
Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
I cant speak for JL hemi swap, but can for TJ Hemi.
It's not fast. Yes, it is faster then the 6 that was there before. It's about the torque. The V-8 torque just makes these Jeeps jump. At any speed they move out with a tap of the throttle. You don't need to floor board it to move. I live in hilly country, my JL ( 3.6 auto ) shifts from 8th to 5th climbing hills, the TJ just stays in overdrive and keeps pulling at 1800 rpms.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
When I scour Instagram, it seems like AMW 4x4, DCD customs, and a few other shops are cranking out 6.4L Hemi swaps for the JL, yet I can't seem to find a single before and after, or otherwise comparison video showing how fast these things can put down the 0-60, quartermile, etc. compared with stock. How is this possible?
Not saying there's no benefit to putting on a 6.4 but if you're after everyday performance, they can't beat a supercharged 3.6 because of the power to weight ratio.

The 6.4 swap will have better dyno numbers but it'll also be close to 450 lbs (200 kgs) heavier which affects acceleration, corner handling, braking, etc. none of which are compromised when you put a supercharger on.

If you're going to spend at least 40+ grand fully build everything (transmission, axles, brakes, etc.) for a proper engine swap that will make you feel like you did an upgrade over what a supercharger can give, look for an engine that can make at least 800 hp at the crank.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Not saying there's no benefit to putting on a 6.4 but if you're after everyday performance, they can't beat a supercharged 3.6 because of the power to weight ratio.

The 6.4 swap will have better dyno numbers but it'll also be close to 450 lbs (200 kgs) heavier which affects acceleration, corner handling, braking, etc. none of which are compromised when you put a supercharger on.

If you're going to spend at least 40+ grand fully build everything (transmission, axles, brakes, etc.) for a proper engine swap that will make you feel like you did an upgrade over what a supercharger can give, look for an engine that can make at least 800 hp at the crank.
To get Hemi level power you'd need to be running 14psi (or more) of boost and no way that is happening with the factory compression ratio.

I've been lucky enough to drive a Gladiator with a 6.4L 475hp Hemi and it was absolutely fantastic. One day I will do the same for my JLUR.

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
To get Hemi level power you'd need to be running 14psi (or more) of boost and no way that is happening with the factory compression ratio.

I've been lucky enough to drive a Gladiator with a 6.4L 475hp Hemi and it was absolutely fantastic. One day I will do the same for my JLUR.
I did say a 6.4 will have better dyno numbers.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
I just picked up a Lincoln with the 2.7 ecoboost. Dang that is a nice small V-6 with some serious bottom end torque. Found one that was tuned....Wow. I could do that.
Sponsored