Sponsored

Help with sidesteps/running boards

Cheff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JL Moab
As a general matter, the answer is yes, I’ve reviewed all of the previous threads, including the sticky, on this topic.

I’m looking for side steps or running boards (not nerf bar style) that have a step “cut out” such that the actual step is lower than the rest of the running board. My wife is 5 ft (4’ 11”, actually) and would like something that is a bit better lower for her to step up on. Not looking for the mechanical ones. For reference, I have a ‘19 Moab. She likes the stock Sahara side steps, but I really don’t want to go from my steel sliders to plastic.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
As a general matter, the answer is yes, I’ve reviewed all of the previous threads, including the sticky, on this topic.

I’m looking for side steps or running boards (not nerf bar style) that have a step “cut out” such that the actual step is lower than the rest of the running board. My wife is 5 ft (4’ 11”, actually) and would like something that is a bit better lower for her to step up on. Not looking for the mechanical ones. For reference, I have a ‘19 Moab. She likes the stock Sahara side steps, but I really don’t want to go from my steel sliders to plastic.

Did you look at the Hide-a-Step option?

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
so your taking off the performance mopar sliders and putting on sahara side steps?
please PM me when they are off if you want to sell them lol

Honestly, I would tell my wife to suck it up, I wouldn't remove awesome step sliders just because she is short lol

OP
OP
Cheff

Cheff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so your taking off the performance mopar sliders and putting on sahara side steps?
please PM me when they are off if you want to sell them lol

Honestly, I would tell my wife to suck it up, I wouldn't remove awesome step sliders just because she is short lol
Ha. I’m totally with you. First off, no plastic, so not doing Sahara steps (was just a point of reference). I love the sliders on the Moab. I don’t even use them to step into the Jeep, but they are definitely serviceable as steps. Just exploring whether there’s anything out there that would have that scalloped out kind of step in steel. Love the Roam ones, but no interest in waiting for months to receive them. Status quo is for my wife to suck it up.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
When I was shopping, there were several that were steel with loops fabricated onto them for steps, which sounds like exactly what you want.

I ended up going with the factory OE step rails for multiple reasons.

Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ha. I’m totally with you. First off, no plastic, so not doing Sahara steps (was just a point of reference). I love the sliders on the Moab. I don’t even use them to step into the Jeep, but they are definitely serviceable as steps. Just exploring whether there’s anything out there that would have that scalloped out kind of step in steel. Love the Roam ones, but no interest in waiting for months to receive them. Status quo is for my wife to suck it up.
How about the LoD Destroyer?

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR

My wife is tall, but her mother is an occasional passenger and, at 83, not exactly nimble. My solution? Cheap plastic kids step stool. After she clambers in, I toss it in the back and pull it back out at the restaurant. Works like a charm and did not require me to permanently butcher my vehicle. Your wife is probably a more regular user, but maybe the idea could be adapted & adopted?

OP
OP
Cheff

Cheff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think ROAM has something similar, but I've had my eye on the LōD Destroyer too.
Thanks for the suggestions so far (everyone). I like the Roam, but again, not willing to wait forever as they seem to be super behind on orders. Otherwise I’d order the Roam. The LoD Destroyer is also nice (similar to Roam), but is a lot more. Not out of the question, but when there seem to be so many options in the < $600 range, it’s hard to justify $800+. Looking at the hide a step now. Trying to figure out if it can be installed over my mopar sliders.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Looking at the hide a step now. Trying to figure out if it can be installed over my mopar sliders.
The MORE page says it works with the Rubicon rails but I see you have the performance rock rails. You might have to ask them.
Sponsored