help with rear bumper install - license plate light problem

funglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS North Edition
I installed a Westin WJ2 rear bumper and i love it. However It required me to install some LED bolt lights on the relocated license plate bracket. I spliced into the old harness for the rear license plate light and one of the two used LEDs worked. The other started smoking. So i disconnected the bad one.

Later i went to drive the car and the other LED is not working. I then crawled under the car when it seemed the led wire was not getting power (with a voltmeter) --neither is the spliced wire. And i pluged the old OEM light back into the harness (which is now barely visible from the bumper) and it did not work.

I checked the 2 40 amp external wiring fuses and they looked fine. What on earth happened? IT seems my other lights are working fine. I am puzzled but it seems like a relay or something is bad. the parking sensors on the same harness all work fine. I checked them each and they are all 4 working as they should.

My immediate problem is getting some current to get the LED working so i am not pulled over--but long term want to address the fact the OEM harness does not have power any longer.

any thoughts?
Sponsored