Sponsored

Help with Lemon JL (Actual Lemon, not Hellayella)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for all the encouragement. I just stopped by the dealer and got a printout of the service history among the countless times they’ve tried to fix the same issue.

The engine misfire happens at the worst times resulting in stumbling and loss off power. Then magically it goes away by the time I reach the service department. A code is typically stored, although there are times when the check engine light has come on without storing a code.

I take this vehicle deep into the wilderness here out west and wonder if I’ll come home. It’s what a Jeep is for, right?

I’m getting the name of an attorney recommended by someone at the dealer, having success in this area and going down that path next. I’ve been patient long enough and it’s time to resolve this issue.
We're very sorry to hear of these ongoing concerns with your Wrangler, longlivethemanual. Our team would be happy to look into this further on our end; although if you have already obtained legal counsel, we are unable. If you'd like to proceed with us, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Just an update to provide useful information for anyone also finding themselves with a lemon JL. In the end, FCA agreed to buyback my vehicle as it clearly met the requirements defined under the law. I was provided an offer consistent with how the law defines the compensated value, which is fair. I will surrender it in the coming weeks as a check request just needs to be processed.

Some notes and lessons learned to pass along... Document EVERYTHING including service appointments, receipts with description of issue and what they "fixed" including part numbers etc. Also document number of days and overnights you lost access to the vehicle. Even if you stop in the dealer for a quick read of a check engine light, document it as a service appointment including notes that explicitly say the check engine light was on when brought in, not just the code was read. Know the law as you can look it up for your state. Some states are better than others for the consumer. Many states also require you to write a "demand letter", notifying the manufacturer of the problem and your intention to demand a lemon law buyback. FCA will drag their feet every step of the way, clearly to wear you down. The people are nice, but it's the process that's difficult. Don't give up. You can also find great attorneys specializing in this who get paid out of the settlement (not your money) if that's what it comes to. I didn't have to go down that path. I can recommend one though, licensed in OR, WA, PA and NJ.

For me I'm happy to finally have this part of the story near the end. What was turning into something positive, I now have another challenge. Knowing I had an agreement coming, I asked the dealer to start building an order for a replacement with Nacho color. He built it no problem and just stayed on hold, but the process to get the final agreement in place took longer than I was told. Once it was done, I called the dealer to pull the trigger on the order . He told me Nacho is NO LONGER AVAILABLE for ordering! Thanks FCA for a moving target! The website has all kinds of colors, but good luck ordering them. I don't know why they play these games. I really want a color, no offense to all the shades of gray out there, and Nacho is at the top. The excitement of finally having a Jeep that works has faded again. I don't know whether I should wait for Nacho to come back or just buy a Bronco or give up. I want a Nacho 2-door JL. Anyone know something more on Nacho availability would be great to hear.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Just an update to provide useful information for anyone also finding themselves with a lemon JL. In the end, FCA agreed to buyback my vehicle as it clearly met the requirements defined under the law. I was provided an offer consistent with how the law defines the compensated value, which is fair. I will surrender it in the coming weeks as a check request just needs to be processed.

Some notes and lessons learned to pass along... Document EVERYTHING including service appointments, receipts with description of issue and what they "fixed" including part numbers etc. Also document number of days and overnights you lost access to the vehicle. Even if you stop in the dealer for a quick read of a check engine light, document it as a service appointment including notes that explicitly say the check engine light was on when brought in, not just the code was read. Know the law as you can look it up for your state. Some states are better than others for the consumer. Many states also require you to write a "demand letter", notifying the manufacturer of the problem and your intention to demand a lemon law buyback. FCA will drag their feet every step of the way, clearly to wear you down. The people are nice, but it's the process that's difficult. Don't give up. You can also find great attorneys specializing in this who get paid out of the settlement (not your money) if that's what it comes to. I didn't have to go down that path. I can recommend one though, licensed in OR, WA, PA and NJ.

For me I'm happy to finally have this part of the story near the end. What was turning into something positive, I now have another challenge. Knowing I had an agreement coming, I asked the dealer to start building an order for a replacement with Nacho color. He built it no problem and just stayed on hold, but the process to get the final agreement in place took longer than I was told. Once it was done, I called the dealer to pull the trigger on the order . He told me Nacho is NO LONGER AVAILABLE for ordering! Thanks FCA for a moving target! The website has all kinds of colors, but good luck ordering them. I don't know why they play these games. I really want a color, no offense to all the shades of gray out there, and Nacho is at the top. The excitement of finally having a Jeep that works has faded again. I don't know whether I should wait for Nacho to come back or just buy a Bronco or give up. I want a Nacho 2-door JL. Anyone know something more on Nacho availability would be great to hear.
Hey. Did you hire an attorney? While your vehicle was in the shop, did fca open up a star case? Did fca try to fix on it first before they decided to buy back your vehicle?

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Hey. Did you hire an attorney? While your vehicle was in the shop, did fca open up a star case? Did fca try to fix on it first before they decided to buy back your vehicle?
I was prepared to retain an attorney, but ended not needing to because FCA finally saw my case was clear. I had a few escalated cases open while trying to get it fixed. I don’t remember it being called star, but yes I had a case manager trying to coordinate help getting the issue resolved. It was in the dealer at least 9 times in an attempt to fix the same issue so they must have figured that was enough. My state law is three attempts. Some require you to allow a last attempt but I don’t know the details around that. Ironic part is I’m about to turn it in and the check engine light came back on. In the end I appreciate FCA seeing it reasonably. Good luck if you’re up against a similar situation.

Sponsored

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
I was prepared to retain an attorney, but ended not needing to because FCA finally saw my case was clear. I had a few escalated cases open while trying to get it fixed. I don’t remember it being called star, but yes I had a case manager trying to coordinate help getting the issue resolved. It was in the dealer at least 9 times in an attempt to fix the same issue so they must have figured that was enough. My state law is three attempts. Some require you to allow a last attempt but I don’t know the details around that. Ironic part is I’m about to turn it in and the check engine light came back on. In the end I appreciate FCA seeing it reasonably. Good luck if you’re up against a similar situation.
Yes. I bought a brand new 2020 lemon car in the state of Texas back in November 2020. The day of purchase check engine and stop/start light came on. Had to take it in the dealership day after purchase. Since November 2020 and to this day(every month) it's been going in the shop for same issue.

While fca was in the mix, did your case manager by any chance offer you like car payments back while you waited to see if they were going to buy your vehicle back. How long did it you have a case opened with fca? My case worker told me it will take 6-8 weeks for fca to determine if they will buy it back. Did yours take that long or was it shorter? I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
@longlivethemanual have your dealer keep checking back week to week- even day to day. I had a similar issue with Punk'n Orange. I was almost ready to move on to my 3rd color choice (because #2 was Mojito! and that was discontinued) and I got a message from my contact telling me Punk'n was able to be ordered again. He had no idea why, but asked if i wanted that instead. I immediately told him yes, and the rest is history.

I know my sales person. He's an acquaintance of my brother. He played it straight with me through the whole process. It depends on the dealer, but sometimes they don't get any sort of updates as to why things aren't available- they just aren't. At my dealer, factory/special orders had to go through the GM too, so it took a couple days to get everything locked in.

good luck, hope this helps you get your Nacho Jeep. I love the bright colors too, and Nacho is no exception. It's awesome.

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Yes. I bought a brand new 2020 lemon car in the state of Texas back in November 2020. The day of purchase check engine and stop/start light came on. Had to take it in the dealership day after purchase. Since November 2020 and to this day(every month) it's been going in the shop for same issue.

While fca was in the mix, did your case manager by any chance offer you like car payments back while you waited to see if they were going to buy your vehicle back. How long did it you have a case opened with fca? My case worker told me it will take 6-8 weeks for fca to determine if they will buy it back. Did yours take that long or was it shorter? I really appreciate your help.
I've not heard of FCA making payments and I'd expect they would not do that for several reasons. In fact, my buyback agreement even says I would need to continue making any payments that might be due even while the buyback check is being processed. My situation has lasted almost two years, with a previous buyback request denied. The final time I took a firm stand and insisted on a buyback will be 3 months start to finish for me. They definitely like to take it slow.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
I've not heard of FCA making payments and I'd expect they would not do that for several reasons. In fact, my buyback agreement even says I would need to continue making any payments that might be due even while the buyback check is being processed. My situation has lasted almost two years, with a previous buyback request denied. The final time I took a firm stand and insisted on a buyback will be 3 months start to finish for me. They definitely like to take it slow.
For this same vehicle they denied your buyback on the first time you asked them to buy it back?

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
For this same vehicle they denied your buyback on the first time you asked them to buy it back?
Yes, same vehicle. I didn't push it hard enough and continued with more service appointments. Then enough really became enough.

Sponsored

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Yes, same vehicle. I didn't push it hard enough and continued with more service appointments. Then enough really became enough.
Oh heck no. See my vehicle now is shop for 3 weeiks. I been dealing with fca for almost 4 months now. My case working has given me my first payment that i made back.
The first time when you went the process trying to get fca to buy it back, how long did it take them to let you know you got denied?

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Oh heck no. See my vehicle now is shop for 3 weeiks. I been dealing with fca for almost 4 months now. My case working has given me my first payment that i made back.
The first time when you went the process trying to get fca to buy it back, how long did it take them to let you know you got denied?
It was fairly quick. Be sure to keep track of days/nights lost.