Help with getting a fair deal on a Moab

Aimbriano

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 4Runner, 2018 Audi Q7
Hi all! Ive been in the market for a wrangler for the past few months, but would prefer to buy something off lease or on a trade in rather then buy new. I am constantly looking at whatever rubicon inventory that hits the web in the tristate area. The other day i found a mint condition Moab, that checks off all of my boxes. However i feel like the dealer is asking way too much for it. Heres the run down:

-2019 Moab original sticker is $57,280
-Current asking price from dealer two. years later $51,995 with 19k miles

Im coming from a 2016 toyota 4runner which theyre giving me $32,500 on trade in. What would you feel like a fair asking offer for this wrangler should be?

For reference is the window sticker and carfax. Thanks for any help i can get. Really excited to switch over to my first wrangler.

Window Sticker
Carfax

imagejpeg950.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg
Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
-2019 Moab original sticker is $57,280
-Current asking price from dealer two. years later $51,995 with 19k miles
The used car market is hot, so the price are inflated. You are benefiting from that pricing with your trade as well. If you are willing to travel to one of the discount dealers, you can easily get 10% off the MSRP. One of the issue I see with buying a $57k Moab that is 2 years old, is that 10% off is the dealers asking price. The MSRP price has probably gone up 1000-1500 but even if it cost $55K and you get the MOAB for $50k, that is only a savings of $5k on a used car that is at least 2 years old.

OP
OP

Aimbriano

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The used car market is hot, so the price are inflated. You are benefiting from that pricing with your trade as well. If you are willing to travel to one of the discount dealers, you can easily get 10% off the MSRP. One of the issue I see with buying a $57k Moab that is 2 years old, is that 10% off is the dealers asking price. The MSRP price has probably gone up 1000-1500 but even if it cost $55K and you get the MOAB for $50k, that is only a savings of $5k on a used car that is at least 2 years old.
Thanks for your reply, yeah at this price point ill be better off buying a new rubicon with similar specs. I have a friend who works at a honda dealer, that also has a sister store jeep dealership. He looked into the vin for me and mentioned retail should be 42-45k. But then again this is a hot comodity and jeeps fly off the shelves pretty quickly. Im going to try and off $45k take it or leave it to see if they bite

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Thanks for your reply, yeah at this price point ill be better off buying a new rubicon with similar specs. I have a friend who works at a honda dealer, that also has a sister store jeep dealership. He looked into the vin for me and mentioned retail should be 42-45k. But then again this is a hot comodity and jeeps fly off the shelves pretty quickly. Im going to try and off $45k take it or leave it to see if they bite
How long has it been on the lot? There’s no harm in offering what you are willing to pay to see if they’re willing to bite.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I get that the market is hot and Wranglers hold value, but that price seems crazy! Don’t get me wrong the Moab is a great special edition... Just get a new Rubi imo!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Aimbriano

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get that the market is hot and Wranglers hold value, but that price seems crazy! Don’t get me wrong the Moab is a great special edition... Just get a new Rubi imo!
Yeah i agree the price is high, but thats dealerships for you. I emailed the lady who i dealt with and told them my best offer was $46k, lets see what happens. If it works fine, if not im going to get a new rubicon. Ive been holding off on a new bc i was hoping for the right used deal.

Ron, its only been listed for a couple of days. So not sure how eager they are to let it go at a lower price

OP
OP

Aimbriano

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best the dealer said they could do is $49,195 im in the process of pricing out a new rubicon with leon from criswell to see how much a new rubicon comes out to. At the end i think the pricing is ok even for the used considering theyre giving me good value for my trade in.

OP
OP

Aimbriano

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im due to pick up my moab tomorrow, I priced out a new rubicon with the exact same features that this current moab has. At the end of the day with 7% below invoice it came out to $65k before taxes and fees. No way am i looking to spend that much on a new Wrangler. The trade in value theyre giving me for my 4runner is helping me offset the purchase price. Im looking forward to my new ride
Sponsored