Sponsored

Help with Exhaust Decision

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Borla S-Type and like it. I isn't completely drone free, but low enough at cruise that I don't find it irritating. The cabin noise from wind is more bothersome than the exhaust by far on the freeway. I wish I could have found a good A-B comparison of it with the MagnaFlow but couldn't find anything that would sway me away from the Borla. I think it sounds good, but then again, I had a Civic Si with an aftermarket exhaust that I thought sounded really good too. I don't mind a little roar from non V8s, I just hate the high pitched noise of those fart cans that some street racer boys put on. @CarbonSteel The fit and finish on mine was superb, but I haven't seen the MagnaFlow. What didn't you like about the S-Type?
Have a read about my experience with Borla:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1408264
Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
@CarbonSteel Wow, sounds like a sucky experience. Didn't read the whole thread, but seems like most of your problems were related to the black coating? I have stainless, so I'm not worried about that. How would you compare sound? (BTW, thanks for your response. ;) ).

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
@CarbonSteel Wow, sounds like a sucky experience. Didn't read the whole thread, but seems like most of your problems were related to the black coating? I have stainless, so I'm not worried about that. How would you compare sound? (BTW, thanks for your response. ;) ).
Mine has done the same thing. I just took some high temp coating paint and sealed it up. Really dint give a đź’©. I got the sound i wanted. And anyone who stop and talks Jeep always says that is a pretty color. They really dont know all the small details that differ from all the other jeeps.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I wouldn’t touch it if I were you.

These engines don’t sound that great. Unless you have a glorious sounding motor to start with, like a 392, screwing around with the exhaust on a run-of-the-mill V6 or 4-cyl, all you get is more of the same shitty noise. To make matters worse, often times you end up adding obnoxious drone in freeway driving.

Automakers go through great lengths to develop the exhaust systems we get from the factory. The fact that we can’t hear all those ugly noises means precisely that they did a good job.

Just my two pesos.

Maybe there's a calling for fake engine noise via the speakers, Ă  la Mercedes-Benz.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The Borla droned on long trips. The MF has a nice sound while cruising and lets you know its there when getting on it. I prefer the MF hands down over the Borla.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
I did and I like the sound. It gets a little loud/rumble when you apply a lot of pedal but otherwise nice in my opinion.

And the install was easy and you don't have to remove the tow hook with the Red Rock.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I wouldn’t touch it if I were you.

These engines don’t sound that great. Unless you have a glorious sounding motor to start with, like a 392, screwing around with the exhaust on a run-of-the-mill V6 or 4-cyl, all you get is more of the same shitty noise. To make matters worse, often times you end up adding obnoxious drone in freeway driving.

Automakers go through great lengths to develop the exhaust systems we get from the factory. The fact that we can’t hear all those ugly noises means precisely that they did a good job.

Just my two pesos.
X2

I modified my 2019 JLUR’s exhaust only because I wanted more ground clearance and reduced risk of crunching my exhaust. I dropped into one of our custom muffler shops and had a much better system welded up. Once the routing was done the shop owner offered to slide a variety of different cans on to the pipe to check for sound before welding. The six cylinders are capable of making a variety of loud and unpleasant sounds, but no cool ones. (I feel the same way about my 6 cyl Raptor. Wish I’d bought the 8.) Who wants the Jeep version of the silly little Honda’s, Toyotas, and Subarus than run around making loud angry bee noises?

dougfitz

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL
Go with the magnaflow. You won’t be disappointed. It looks the best, isnt loud, and adds some bass to the exhaust note. It’ll take a week or so to break in. At first it’s a little louder than stock and sort of sounds like a v6 sports car but once the packing breaks in it quiets down and smoothes out.

75A08221-6F7C-46AF-B269-4DBFF26D65AB.jpeg
Agreed - just updated mine Love the additional feedback from the exhaust

9055448C-D563-4E7C-AC88-1AA32FC4A0B5.jpeg

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Looks pretty cool, but hangs down at least two inches farther than it has to. I’d be crunching them. Also, I have an ARB exhaust jack. They’re really slick, but you can’t run them off of a dual exhaust with the OEM set up. You CAN, of course, run the jack off of a standard air pump/fitting, but it’s much slower going, and not everybody has a built-in air/CO2 source with them all the time.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Go with the magnaflow. You won’t be disappointed. It looks the best, isnt loud, and adds some bass to the exhaust note. It’ll take a week or so to break in. At first it’s a little louder than stock and sort of sounds like a v6 sports car but once the packing breaks in it quiets down and smoothes out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help with Exhaust Decision 9055448C-D563-4E7C-AC88-1AA32FC4A0B5
did you have to modify the pipe for it to fit? I've read that the inlet pipe did not fit over the JL's tailpipe as both pipes were the same diameter. As a workaround, some had to open the inlet of the muffler out more so it would fit into the pipe.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
did you have to modify the pipe for it to fit? I've read that the inlet pipe did not fit over the JL's tailpipe as both pipes were the same diameter. As a workaround, some had to open the inlet of the muffler out more so it would fit into the pipe.
My Magnaflow (I have the V6) slipped on without any issues, great setup IMO. Maybe the very first pipes they released had this issue but has since been remedied.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help with Exhaust Decision IMG_0571.JPG

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone worried about smashing those tips on the rocks? At least the stock setup is tucked up a little but I've managed to mash mine on the rocks dripping off a ledge. Had I had the aftermarket setup like these it would have been even worse.
Lol. That’s the first thing that popped into my brain. That type of exhaust wouldn’t work for me. I went with AFE’s axle back (the muffler version) and am very pleased with it. It’s a high tuck quality piece.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Negative. Pipe fit perfect. Was pretty snug so I had to twist back and forth while pushing it on. But it fit great and lined up perfect. From what I understand they corrected that issue
Sponsored