First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
I am looking to replace my stock exhaust on my 18 Rubicon. Just want the black dual exhaust look with a little more sound and power, but not extreme on sound. I found the Red Rock axle back and it has the look and sound I want and the price is less than the MagnaFlow or other popular brands. My question is: will I be missing out on a good upgrade if I go with the Red Rock?
Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I love the look of the dual black tips but like my boring stock sound so I have my eyes and ears on this topic.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t touch it if I were you.

These engines don’t sound that great. Unless you have a glorious sounding motor to start with, like a 392, screwing around with the exhaust on a run-of-the-mill V6 or 4-cyl, all you get is more of the same shitty noise. To make matters worse, often times you end up adding obnoxious drone in freeway driving.

Automakers go through great lengths to develop the exhaust systems we get from the factory. The fact that we can’t hear all those ugly noises means precisely that they did a good job.

Just my two pesos.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Go with the magnaflow. You won’t be disappointed. It looks the best, isnt loud, and adds some bass to the exhaust note. It’ll take a week or so to break in. At first it’s a little louder than stock and sort of sounds like a v6 sports car but once the packing breaks in it quiets down and smoothes out.

75A08221-6F7C-46AF-B269-4DBFF26D65AB.jpeg

Sponsored

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
This is the Red Rock that I am looking at. For the price, it sounds pretty good to me but I am far from experienced in replacement exhausts

https://www.extremeterrain.com/redr...-axle-back-exhaust-black-tips-j133189-jl.html
I’m sure you’ll be happy either way. It looks very similar to the magnaflow so I like that part about it and the price tag definitely looks better as well lol. I’ve never heard how it sounds though so I can’t comment on that.

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thsnks.
Yeah, the Red Rock also doesn't have the bend or the constriction of flow per the description.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
If anything needs a tech upgrade it would be mufflers.
I'm sure there is/should be a gadget to change sound on the fly.
Doesn't the 392 have a "I paid a lot of money for this engine" button?

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's either gonna be the Red Rock or the Rough Country for me. Both around $300. Leaning towards the Red Rock.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Is anyone worried about smashing those tips on the rocks? At least the stock setup is tucked up a little but I've managed to mash mine on the rocks dripping off a ledge. Had I had the aftermarket setup like these it would have been even worse.

Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
It is all about waves, or frequencies if you want. Get it wrong and you will most definitely have a droning sound inside the Jeep at certain RPM - It is simple principles of sound wave science (Sound waves resonating).

Be honest, all these aftermarket mufflers causes droning. It is more a question if you are prepared to live with it or not.

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m not a fan of loud exhaust on anything smaller than a V8 either typically but I saw some YouTube videos of the Dynatrac muffler delete that I thought actually sounded pretty good on the 3.6. Point of it is more for clearance but might be worth checking out. Cheap too.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Be honest, all these aftermarket mufflers causes droning. It is more a question if you are prepared to live with it or not.
Not the Magnaflow, it's drone-free, but my previous Dynomax delete pipe was for sure!
Can't go wrong w/ the Magnaflow if you're wanting better volume at high RPMs or WOT but very close to stock otherwise. And the fit, finish, and overall build quality is top notch.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Not the Magnaflow, it's drone-free, but my previous Dynomax delete pipe was for sure!
Can't go wrong w/ the Magnaflow if you're wanting better volume at high RPMs or WOT but very close to stock otherwise. And the fit, finish, and overall build quality is top notch.
@MikeJLURubi - another vote for MagnaFlow. I had the Borla Touring and Type S and the MagnaFlow is far and away in fit, finish, and sound versus the Borla.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I have the Borla S-Type and like it. I isn't completely drone free, but low enough at cruise that I don't find it irritating. The cabin noise from wind is more bothersome than the exhaust by far on the freeway. I wish I could have found a good A-B comparison of it with the MagnaFlow but couldn't find anything that would sway me away from the Borla. I think it sounds good, but then again, I had a Civic Si with an aftermarket exhaust that I thought sounded really good too. I don't mind a little roar from non V8s, I just hate the high pitched noise of those fart cans that some street racer boys put on. @CarbonSteel The fit and finish on mine was superb, but I haven't seen the MagnaFlow. What didn't you like about the S-Type?
Sponsored