Sponsored

Help with Daily Driver Tires/Wheels for Sahara

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU, Rivian R1S, '99 Cherokee XJ
I'm been tirelessly reading posts in the "Wheels and Tires" section but haven't found what I'm looking for. I am a total newbie and really need a "Wheels & Tires 101" course. Anyone have a good site or know if a good newbie post?

I'm looking for something that won't be too loud on the highway but also makes my Sahara more aggressive looking. I don't want to lift (yet) and will be spending nearly 100% of my time on roads. But I do live in Mass with lots of snow and some beach driving. I know virtually nothing about sizing, etc. I do know I like the basic looking wheels. Black matte, etc. versus chrome-y look.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? How loud to tires get when you add the aggressive tread?
Sponsored

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm been tirelessly reading posts in the "Wheels and Tires" section but haven't found what I'm looking for. I am a total newbie and really need a "Wheels & Tires 101" course. Anyone have a good site or know if a good newbie post?

I'm looking for something that won't be too loud on the highway but also makes my Sahara more aggressive looking. I don't want to lift (yet) and will be spending nearly 100% of my time on roads. But I do live in Mass with lots of snow and some beach driving. I know virtually nothing about sizing, etc. I do know I like the basic looking wheels. Black matte, etc. versus chrome-y look.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? How loud to tires get when you add the aggressive tread?
I used https://tiresize.com/ to help get me up to speed. Try to get similar sized tires to the factory size to maintain a similar mpg. It sounds like you want to get All Terrain tires with the mountain+snowflake symbol so that they’re snow rated. I also used https://www.tirebuyer.com to get an idea of what tires come in which sizes. I’ll probably eventually switch over to 285/70R/17 from the Sahara’s OEM 255/70R/18. So the equivalent 17” size is 255/75R/17. You’ll have to play around with measurements to see what you want but I believe the largest the Sahara can handle with no lift is 33’s

OP
OP
LHB

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Lurvis33. What do people think about adding stock Rubicon JL wheels/tires to a Sahara? There seem to be plenty for sale on this forum. I imagine one could find a good price for stock Rubicon set?

Moondog2525

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl sport s
One thing to consider is that the larger you go with the tires the worse your mpg will get. I put big ass tires and wheels on my 2014 grand Cherokee and legit lost 5 mpg.

Reactions: LHB

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
You want tires that are great for 100% pavement and winter driving in New England. Use the stock tires.

To get that "aggressive" look you will be sacrificing the two important pieces you want. For comfort and low noise it is stock. For winter conditions tires with sipping that are designed for this are best. "Aggressive" looking tires are for off road use. Generally they don't have sipping which is good for icy conditions and they have larger lugs for off road applications.

There is no aggressive looking tire that is going to give you good on pavement performance. Are there some that will do both? Yes but they are really not that aggressive looking and you sacrifice the things that are important to you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LHB

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any thoughts on putting the Rubicon Stock Wheels/Tires on there? BFGoodrich KO2 LT285/70R17? Seems plenty of people are selling them at competitive prices on this site. I know I'm sacrificing some road performance (louder, MPG, etc.) but what can I say, i'm vain!

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Any thoughts on putting the Rubicon Stock Wheels/Tires on there? BFGoodrich KO2 LT285/70R17? Seems plenty of people are selling them at competitive prices on this site. I know I'm sacrificing some road performance (louder, MPG, etc.) but what can I say, i'm vain!
Sure others have done it. One member bought a Rubicon and did not like them. This member put on the tires that come with a Sport model. For him this was a better setup for pavement that he was looking for. You know you are going to make "some" sacrifices so as long as you are OK with that go for it. I mean it won't be horrible. There will be a difference but you will only know if you try it. Keep your stock set in case you find that you are not happy with the change.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I would recommend rubicon stock tires. The 285/70/R17 KO2's. Whether you want the whole wheel and tire or not depends on if you have 17 or 18 inch rims IIRC one of the Sahara options is an 18 inch wheel.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
It sounds like the KO2s are a great option for you.

Other ones I’ve seen in this category are the Nitto Ridge Grapplers - which have a huge following - but do not technically have the snowflake which sounds important to you. Some people say it’s great in the snow and talk as if that’s a red tape label that maybe Nitto just chose not to apply for, but I don’t know to be honest.

Another one worth looking st is the Goodyear DuraTrac - these look aggressive, will have no road noise for you from my experience (~30k miles) and are snowflake rated and did awesome in snow for me.

KO2 or DuraTrac or Ridge Grappler.

Last thought - pay attention to “Load Rating” and see if you can find something C rated. That will give you a softer ride for on road use (D and E are a stronger sidewalk meant for more off road use, but may give a slightly harsher ride on road).

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase

Im a daily Driver of apx. 20miles into work and back with multiple days of driving around to Job sites and I chose this option because I wanted the aggressive look and feel of my Rig . The JL is a whole new animal and Im very Impressed with both response and noise in town . With the Toyo open country MT they do start to growl passed 45mph but not as bad as I expected ..." I can still carry on a conversation "

If you dont want to Lift you could go as High as a 33" Tire and 18" rim in something more on the road friendly quiet type Rubber

IMG_78921.jpg

20180324_120418.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
LHB

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. I'm going to buy KO2 wheels/tires from a local forum member who upgraded his Rubicon set. Seems like the best bang for the buck. Down the road maybe I'll give the ridge grapplers a shot.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Thanks everyone. I'm going to buy KO2 wheels/tires from a local forum member who upgraded his Rubicon set. Seems like the best bang for the buck. Down the road maybe I'll give the ridge grapplers a shot.
I think this is a good move, fiscally a great option and it sounds like they tick all the boxes for you.

Plus, it’s cool to help another forum member out.

Congrats!

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
It sounds like the KO2s are a great option for you.

Other ones I’ve seen in this category are the Nitto Ridge Grapplers - which have a huge following - but do not technically have the snowflake which sounds important to you. Some people say it’s great in the snow and talk as if that’s a red tape label that maybe Nitto just chose not to apply for, but I don’t know to be honest.

Another one worth looking st is the Goodyear DuraTrac - these look aggressive, will have no road noise for you from my experience (~30k miles) and are snowflake rated and did awesome in snow for me.

KO2 or DuraTrac or Ridge Grappler.

Last thought - pay attention to “Load Rating” and see if you can find something C rated. That will give you a softer ride for on road use (D and E are a stronger sidewalk meant for more off road use, but may give a slightly harsher ride on road).
Those are all great choices. I chose the Duratracs. They are not noisy at all on the road. On my Sahara, I went with 295/70/17. They are 33.5X11.6. I live in the mountains so flexing is not an issue for me when getting to my house. The 285/70/17 Rubi take offs are a very nice option also. I chose a little more height on the sidewall. I have the E rated also, not a big deal for me. I run them at 35psi.

20180330_162849.jpg

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Those are all great choices. I chose the Duratracs. They are not noisy at all on the road. On my Sahara, I went with 295/70/17. They are 33.5X11.6. I live in the mountains so flexing is not an issue for me when getting to my house. The 285/70/17 Rubi take offs are a very nice option also. I chose a little more height on the sidewall. I have the E rated also, not a big deal for me. I run them at 35psi.

20180330_162849.jpg
Hey @Bingy have you tried a chalk test to play with your PSI at all? You might be able to run a lower PSI to get a better ride and possibly more even wear. I haven’t run your exact tires but the sweet spot on my 285/70r17 load D DuraTracs was between 30-32 if I recall correctly - so for your slightly larger tire and stiffer sidewall, I wonder if you could run 29 or 30 or so and get a better ride.

I really don’t know at all - just a thought :)

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
That may be a perfect little task for me today before the final 4 starts. I will give it a go and see. I tell you what...it is very cool to chat with all of you across the country and even in Canada to share ideas. People taking the time to help others to make the JL the best it can be...
Sponsored