Sponsored

Help with build...dealer says I must have LSD???

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Apparently lsd is required for manual. Does include Dana 44 and AT tires (Bridgestone, I believe.) Price increase is $590 MSRP. Ironically it’s still considered an “option”, but required for manual.

Is this for Sport, Sport S and Saraha?

Why would jeep make the manual tranny standard equipment at a certain MSRP price point, then force you to add a $595 option?

This is moronic at best.

Is this some kind of recent development by Jeep engineers?
Sponsored

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
DIrect from FCA

Ordering Updates:
JL Wrangler Sport/Sahara - DEM Manual Transmission requires the DSA axle until further notice.

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have been told the same thing, and I was wondering if someone had a notice of the requirement. As some dealers say I need it, some don't. If it is required thats a little scary. If it's a recall? Why isn't it being addressed?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Any new information on this?

Does the manual transmission require $595 LSD Option now?

Anyone know why?

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
;) I must admit, the thought did cross my mind that your dealer might be a "dealer" of a different sort, selling Lysergic acid diethylamide (i.e. the other LSD), or that you were taking this psychedelic drug given some extremely unusual configuration request for your new rig.

Fortunately, limited slip differential is the better "Family Feud" answer on a Wrangler board.

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I really would like to just see more technical information from the manufacturer regarding this matter. While I believe the sales individual, I'd like to verify (trust but verify..). I really would never complain about the D44.

I do believe I found out where the issue lies. That is, in the configuration, if you select All-Season it does not require the LSD (D44/DSA). If you select All-Terrain, it forces you to choose both DSA (D44/LSD) and the upgraded polished metal rims. I'm really lost.

To people's knowledge, can you have All-Terrain tires of any variety on a D35 (ish, if thats what we're calling the stock axle) ?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I really would like to just see more technical information from the manufacturer regarding this matter. While I believe the sales individual, I'd like to verify (trust but verify..). I really would never complain about the D44.

I do believe I found out where the issue lies. That is, in the configuration, if you select All-Season it does not require the LSD (D44/DSA). If you select All-Terrain, it forces you to choose both DSA (D44/LSD) and the upgraded polished metal rims. I'm really lost.

To people's knowledge, can you have All-Terrain tires of any variety on a D35 (ish, if thats what we're calling the stock axle) ?
You've got it backwards. The tires come with the LSD or the upgraded wheels. Not the other way around.

Look at post #17. From a dealer guy who is quoting from the factory. None knows why. That's the whole story.

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
You've got it backwards. The tires come with the LSD or the upgraded wheels. Not the other way around.

Look at post #17. From a dealer guy who is quoting from the factory. None knows why. That's the whole story.
Thank you, still confused thou, would like further info from the Manufac.

Dash

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 stingray, 2002 F-250, 2016 stingray, 2017 BMW M240i,
If you order LSA, then all-terrains follow. But why must we upgrade the wheels? I don’t expect an answer, simply voicing concern over .com not meshing w “order computer”. Roughly $800 for unneeded wheels is a kick in the junk.

Sponsored

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
If you order LSA, then all-terrains follow. But why must we upgrade the wheels? I don’t expect an answer, simply voicing concern over .com not meshing w “order computer”. Roughly $800 for unneeded wheels is a kick in the junk.
Even if the wheels are a web-site glitch. I wish the site was more transparent as to what the issue is. In the end a D44 is a nice thing to have, with that being said, what's wrong with the other one?

Dash

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 stingray, 2002 F-250, 2016 stingray, 2017 BMW M240i,
Even if the wheels are a web-site glitch. I wish the site was more transparent as to what the issue is. In the end a D44 is a nice thing to have, with that being said, what's wrong with the other one?
From what I have read here, nothing. Most say can come in handy in slick situations. Some may figure “overkill” if not a rock climber. I may do a lil off road but no climbing. Mostly driving around O’ahu.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
And why is it required with the manual tranny and not the auto?
That's my biggest question here. Is it due to the axle housing or the open diff that is not compatible with the manual tranny?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
;) I must admit, the thought did cross my mind that your dealer might be a "dealer" of a different sort, selling Lysergic acid diethylamide (i.e. the other LSD), or that you were taking this psychedelic drug given some extremely unusual configuration request for your new rig.

Fortunately, limited slip differential is the better "Family Feud" answer on a Wrangler board.
The "other" LSD would result in the limited TRIP differential.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help with build...dealer says I must have LSD??? {filename}

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Think it was forum member ThirtyOne told me the requirement to purchase the alternate wheels when selecting the LSD uprated rear axle is a Jeep website mistake. He said you can just purchase the axle without the wheels.

As to why the Jeep would make the LSD uprated axle a requirement when purchasing the manual transmission - just guessing but here are some possible reasons:

1) Manual trans can result in more shock load to the axle compared to an auto trans, hence Jeep wanting a stronger rear axle to handle the load.
2) Something to do with driveshaft angle or length makes the uprated rear axle a better choice with the manual trans.
3) Jeep wants to make some extra cash (not unheard of when manufacturers bundle or require additional items when one item is selected).

For my part, I'm glad Jeep offers the uprated rear axle since I go off-road and would like the extra strength.
Sponsored