Sponsored

Help with build...dealer says I must have LSD???

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Think it was forum member ThirtyOne told me the requirement to purchase the alternate wheels when selecting the LSD uprated rear axle is a Jeep website mistake. He said you can just purchase the axle without the wheels.

As to why the Jeep would make the LSD uprated axle a requirement when purchasing the manual transmission - just guessing but here are some possible reasons:

1) Manual trans can result in more shock load to the axle compared to an auto trans, hence Jeep wanting a stronger rear axle to handle the load.
2) Something to do with driveshaft angle or length makes the uprated rear axle a better choice with the manual trans.
3) Jeep wants to make some extra cash (not unheard of when manufacturers bundle or require additional items when one item is selected).

For my part, I'm glad Jeep offers the uprated rear axle since I go off-road and would like the extra strength.
I had it explained that the additional wheels are for the Terrain tires. You apparently have a selection of two varieties. Either Bridgestone or Goodyear (TDB or TRR respectively). Apparently if you select or somehow TRR is selected it then wants to put the additional wheels on the jeep. It must be some odd ordering option, but, that on some level makes sense. Not that the tires won't fit on either wheel, but maybe Jeep wants you to pair the Goodyear (TRR) with the enhanced wheels.

Still want to know what the issue is with the Manual and the regular axle.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
When I did the on-line build, Jeep website, the LSD included your choice of tires. No requirement for wheels. This is the Sport build. Since that option is Dana 44, better tires, it seems a good choice.

Dash

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 stingray, 2002 F-250, 2016 stingray, 2017 BMW M240i,
When I did the on-line build, Jeep website, the LSD included your choice of tires. No requirement for wheels. This is the Sport build. Since that option is Dana 44, better tires, it seems a good choice.
Yes, you can accomplish what you described...on the .com website. However, the dealer cannot accomplish the same on “order computer”.

JLpaulo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
For the Sport, that is correct. I just tried adding LSD on a Sahara and it forces the a/t tires AND upgraded wheels (extra $895)

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Occum's Razor says the explanation is probably that they just had a supply issue with the open diff for the 6MT, and the LSD is the only diff they have on hand for the 6MT. There is an open diff available for the Rubicon 6MT, but that's for the bigger axle/different final drive.

Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
I ordered a Sport S w/ manual 11/26. Since there’s been no movement on my build I reached out to Jeep Chat earlier this week and just received this response:

“Dear Thomas This Wrangler has an option that is on a material restriction - 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION+ DANA M200 REAR AXLE (DEM + DRZ) – are not slated to begin production until mid-February. We would encourage you to contact us back in late-February for an update. Thanks Customer Care ”

Seems there’s either a supplier issue (but isn’t the DRZ the same axle on the auto) or a mechanical issue w/ the transmission and the standard axle. Which may be why new orders are required LSD w/ manuals.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I ordered a Sport S w/ manual 11/26. Since there’s been no movement on my build I reached out to Jeep Chat earlier this week and just received this response:

“Dear Thomas This Wrangler has an option that is on a material restriction - 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION+ DANA M200 REAR AXLE (DEM + DRZ) – are not slated to begin production until mid-February. We would encourage you to contact us back in late-February for an update. Thanks Customer Care ”

Seems there’s either a supplier issue (but isn’t the DRZ the same axle on the auto) or a mechanical issue w/ the transmission and the standard axle. Which may be why new orders are required LSD w/ manuals.
That is interesting. The driveshafts are probably different with the various axle/trans combinations.. If the issue is not an axle or transmission shortage, instead it could be a driveshaft shortage. Just speculation.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

“Dealer says I must have LSD”...... uh. this thread disappointed me. i feel betrayed

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That is interesting. The driveshafts are probably different with the various axle/trans combinations.. If the issue is not an axle or transmission shortage, instead it could be a driveshaft shortage. Just speculation.
This kind of makes the most sense if the 6MT/D44 uses a different driveshaft than the 6MT/D35.

Does anyone have access to JL parts list?

Last edited:

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Ordering manual for Sport S REQUIRES LSD. But DOES NOT require the upgraded wheels. It does make you choose all terrain tires. The code for Goodyear is: TTC.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I was under the impression that all Manuals had the D44 LSD axle. Thats probably why the dealer is having trouble moving forward without it. Just go with it. Its honestly under 600 bucks and a huge improvement in AXLE.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Please lend your expertise,

Gave a deposit Tuesday for a Sahara Unlimited with manual transmission.
Options:
LED
Trailer Group
Dual Top
Cold Weather
Electronic Group

Dealer called me today saying the FCA contacted them and my build must have the Limited Slip Diff. Does this seem right? He mentioned if I drop the Trailer Group from the build it might not require it but then tried to execute that and the system wouldn't allow it.

Help me help the dealer please.

TIA

Greg

Build attached...

jeep.jpg
Snell it’s none of my business and I can’t spend your money but if you live in New Jersey you may wan’t to have that limited slip.
Sponsored