Sponsored

Help with build...dealer says I must have LSD???

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Please lend your expertise,

Gave a deposit Tuesday for a Sahara Unlimited with manual transmission.
Options:
LED
Trailer Group
Dual Top
Cold Weather
Electronic Group

Dealer called me today saying the FCA contacted them and my build must have the Limited Slip Diff. Does this seem right? He mentioned if I drop the Trailer Group from the build it might not require it but then tried to execute that and the system wouldn't allow it.

Help me help the dealer please.

TIA

Greg

Build attached...

jeep.jpg
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if it's required with the tow group but would make sense.

With that said I would highly recommend the $595 option for the LSD and upgraded D44. To me that is one of the no-brainer addons. LSD will help you a bit in the snow although not completely required by any means.

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
I'm not sure if it's required with the tow group but would make sense.

With that said I would highly recommend the $595 option for the LSD and upgraded D44. To me that is one of the no-brainer addons. LSD will help you a bit in the snow although not completely required by any means.
I hear you but don't feel like I need it. I have a rear drive BMW 3 series that has a manual and 6mt with snowtires on it now. I don't have a lsd on that and do just fine. I could justify the Auto 4wd too but again don't feel like i need it as i am trying to keep costs down.

In daily driving would the D44 Axle be noticeable? Does it changing the gearing too so that i might affect the way the 6mt operates?

Appreciate the input though!

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you but don't feel like I need it. I have a rear drive BMW 3 series that has a manual and 6mt with snowtires on it now. I don't have a lsd on that and do just fine. I could justify the Auto 4wd too but again don't feel like i need it as i am trying to keep costs down.

In daily driving would the D44 Axle be noticeable? Does it changing the gearing too so that i might affect the way the 6mt operates?

Appreciate the input though!
In day to day driving you won't notice a different from the D35 to D44 but the latter is quite a bit more stout.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Please lend your expertise,

Gave a deposit Tuesday for a Sahara Unlimited with manual transmission.
Options:
LED
Trailer Group
Dual Top
Cold Weather
Electronic Group

Dealer called me today saying the FCA contacted them and my build must have the Limited Slip Diff. Does this seem right? He mentioned if I drop the Trailer Group from the build it might not require it but then tried to execute that and the system wouldn't allow it.

Help me help the dealer please.

TIA

Greg

Build attached...

jeep.jpg
If dropping the Trailer Group still requires you purchase Limited Slip Diff, I wonder why? Does that mean the Sahara model requires LSD? Or is their some other option you included, that requires LSD? For reference, the LSD does not seem required on a Sport model, even after adding the "Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group".

Sponsored

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
If dropping the Trailer Group still requires you purchase Limited Slip Diff, I wonder why? Does that mean the Sahara model requires LSD? Or is their some other option you included, that requires LSD? For reference, the LSD does not seem required on a Sport model, even after adding the "Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group".
Interesting find. Thank you!

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Procrastinator
Interesting find. Thank you!
I should mention - I was basing that off the Jeep.com build options. I don't know if there might be some other restrictions when you actually order a JL at a dealership. I am hoping the Jeep.com site is accurate, because I actually want a Sport model with the LSD (Dana 44), but without the trailer tow/electrical group.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
For reference, here is the order guide. It definitely does not have an dependencies in your build. Just for Selec-Trac. But it could be inaccurate. There is some funny stuff with DSA and All-Terrain tires that is also not reflected in the order guide.

2018_wrangler_4_door_jl_12_21_2017-4-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Dealer just called back and said all manual transmissions require the Anti Slip Diff. Does that make sense?? Frustrated!

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Dealer just called back and said all manual transmissions require the Anti Slip Diff. Does that make sense?? Frustrated!
Following. This is a weird thread. LSD required for manual transmission? Then shouldn't it be standard now because all wranglers currently have manual as standard before upping to auto. Have you asked for the FCA contact person to get an explanation? I would. I can't see why a manual trans needs a limited slip.

Sponsored

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Following. This is a weird thread. LSD required for manual transmission? Then shouldn't it be standard now because all wranglers currently have manual as standard before upping to auto. Have you asked for the FCA contact person to get an explanation? I would. I can't see why a manual trans needs a limited slip.
"Dealer Guy" in other thread (ask the dealer) just confirmed this too. Others have mentioned an issue with manuals (hence no production) and it now seems likely that has to do with the Anti Slip and or the Dana 35 vs the Dana 44. Maybe Jeeps solve is the Dana 44? Either way I feel like i am going to get screwed and have to pay the $500, in a week Jeep will likely include the 44 on all manual purchases for no charge (my luck).

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Procrastinator
"Dealer Guy" in other thread (ask the dealer) just confirmed this too. Others have mentioned an issue with manuals (hence no production) and it now seems likely that has to do with the Anti Slip and or the Dana 35 vs the Dana 44. Maybe Jeeps solve is the Dana 44? Either way I feel like i am going to get screwed and have to pay the $500, in a week Jeep will likely include the 44 on all manual purchases for no charge (my luck).
This is an odd situation. Assuming the LSD is still coupled with the up-rated strength Dana 44 rear axle, why would Jeep want it required for the manual trans. I don't think the LSD aspect would be required. Unless Jeep envisions some traction issues with manual trans, that don't occur with the automatic. Not seeing how that would present a significant difference requiring LSD.

Might the manual transmission require some additional strength in the rear axle, due to more drivetrain shock (lack of smoother auto trans fluid "cushion")? Or is there some reason having to do with driveshaft coupling and the Dana 44 having different dimensions? Hard to tell at this point.

Could also just be Jeep wanting extra cash out of the deal.

DarkWater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
Maybe you can answer my question about ordering...I apologize in advance if I should be on another thread!

I am in the process of ordering my Rubi JLU and the dealer said they cannot find or the Heritage Tan soft top option isn't in their system? It's on the Jeep build site and doesn't mention late availability...

My question, is then, does anyone know what that code is or is it just completely unavailable at this time?

Thanks guys!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Oh great. MSRP is now going up even further.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Apparently lsd is required for manual. Does include Dana 44 and AT tires (Bridgestone, I believe.) Price increase is $590 MSRP. Ironically it’s still considered an “option”, but required for manual.
Sponsored