Help with Aftermarket Heated Seats

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
I took my 21 JLURD to a reputable shop today, to have aftermarket heating pads installed in both my driver and passenger front leather seats. I bought this rig used (from FL), so it does not have the factory cold weather package.

They removed the seats and started to strip the seat covers, then stopped when they saw the weight sensors (with the water mechanisms). They would not install the heating pads in the leg section of either front seat. They said the heat would expand the water and cause sensor errors. They even called a vendor and received confirmation.

I saw a video of all four pads being installed in a 2021 Gladiator with the same seats (Rubicon leather), but that doesn’t prove they did or didn’t receive errors after the install. I need your help getting to the bottom of this. Anyone with a 2021 (or newer) Rubicon that has added heated pads to leather seats, PLEASE let me know which pads were installed, and if anything special was done to prevent errors from the weight sensors. If the cloth seats have the same sensors, then I welcome that feedback as well.

Thanks in advance!

Keep Jeep’n
Sponsored

OP
OP

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
Quick update and more confusion…

I called two dealers and got the phone numbers for their companies that do the aftermarket heated seat installs for them.

It was a 50/50 split on the findings. Half said they install the lower pads and the other half said they do not. When pressed for reasons for not installing, I essentially got “because.”

Anyone else that has added aftermarket heated seats, please let me know which heating pads were installed and if any errors occurred, or any additional changes were necessary.

Loccusst

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have a 2022 JLU Sahara with cloth seats and live in Iowa. You better bet the first thing I looked into was installing heated seats. I installed them this fall myself after watching a few videos specific to the Jeep. Since I used to work as an aftermarket automotive installer I have experience installing in other cars so it wasn't my first rodeo ripping the seats apart and running the wires, I just wanted see what I might be up against in the Jeep. I used the Doorman kit for both seats and so far I have not had any issues, looking for wood to knock on. Because of the design of the Doorman kit and the design of the seat, I installed the heating element towards the front, under the legs and not right under the but area for the lower cushion. The back portion of the seat has the heat element installed in the lower back area for now, I think I will move them up higher this spring. I also use the heated seats about every day here in Iowa currently. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
@Loccusst —>Thanks for the confirmation and info. I am working on the install now. Where did you end up mounting the on/off switches? Can you grab a photo? I was probably going to mount mine in front of the gear shifter, but I would love options.

Keep Jeep’n

Loccusst

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
@Loccusst —>Thanks for the confirmation and info. I am working on the install now. Where did you end up mounting the on/off switches? Can you grab a photo? I was probably going to mount mine in front of the gear shifter, but I would love options.

Keep Jeep’n
I purchased this guy (Rough Country MLC-6) and popped out the far left and right switches. The ones for the seat heaters fit right in. It was perfect so I could install my lights and have all the switches together.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/roug...ht-controller-lower-dash-mount-kit-70964.html