Sponsored

Help! Waiting on 2020 JL Order

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
It is simply a matter of the factory getting around to fixing whatever the issue was.
My point is though that I would LOVE to know what they fixed, incase it shows up as a problem again once in my possession.
Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
My point is though that I would LOVE to know what they fixed, incase it shows up as a problem again once in my possession.
I understand. But that’s not going to happen. Arguably I can see why, people would forever be second guessing. Just remember the factory is probably 100x more qualified to fix than your local dealer.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
If it goes into I status, does that mean there was an issue found or just that it’s waiting on the inspection to complete?

I’m not sure if it’s the status, or time in the status, that is cause for concern.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
If it goes into I status, does that mean there was an issue found or just that it’s waiting on the inspection to complete?

I’m not sure if it’s the status, or time in the status, that is cause for concern.
Inspection just means that the build is complete and the Jeep is now being checked to make sure everything works as it should. If it stays in inspection for a long time, it could be that there's a problem and it's waiting to be fixed. Or at least that's how I understand how it works.

RT-Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've been stuck in "I' for 33 days now and have joined the frustration party. It would be nice if FCA can give some kind of "whats wrong" status just to curve that frustration. I have no idea if inspection is backed up, if its missing a lug nut, or if they put the wrong motor in it. Would be nice to get something after knowing its been sitting for that long.

Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
There's no official word from FCA on this. I had plenty of time to research this in my 30 days waiting, so I dug in across multiple forums, platforms, etc, and here is what I learned from scouring posts over the last 3-4 years (anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if you see an error or omission):

• If the inspection passes, the process of "being in I status" seems to take 1-3 days at most.
    • Be aware that the status updates aren't perfect - so it is possible that Jeep cares tells you you are in "I" status even though it has moved on to a new step but somehow didn't get updated in the system. (This isn't too likely but appears to happen occasionally)
  • If inspection fails, the Jeep is moved into some sort of holding area/parking lot - or perhaps any sort of parking lot - in, around, next to, near the factory, but almost definitely not into a clearly ordered first-in, first-out queue.
  • The process for picking which-Jeeps-get-fixed-when seems to have an element of chaos to it. Maybe they have 10 jeeps where the leather seats had a tear and they are waiting for "seat day" to fix them all. Maybe they just have a list and whichever jeep is easy to find gets fixed first. Maybe Bob was sick one week and he's the guy who does the best transmission repairs. Dunno. But eventually someone finds your Jeep.
  • Once it is in repair, it's not like it goes back to the assembly line. It gets pulled into a repair bay, a different worker figures out the problem and the solution, and fixes the Jeep much like it would be fixed by your local dealer - but let's be honest, all these guys do is fix wranglers day in and day out, so I think it is a safe bet that they are going to do a better job than your local dealer would.
Problems seem to be almost anything - cosmetic damage, a cross-threaded bolt or nut, wrong item installed on the line, or an actual component failure. In very, VERY rare cases they'll issue a rebuild and the Jeep will get built again with a new VIN number. (I imagine this would be the case for only the most dramatic of failures)

The actual process of fixing the Jeep doesn't seem to be the hold up in 97% of the cases. The hold up appears to be the time it takes from something being flagged to the Jeep being picked off the lot and pulled into the repair bay. (of course, component shortages could impact this) One thing I could not figure out is if vehicles that need to go "to body vendor" get sent there before or after being fixed - my Rubicon, for instance, never showed that status, it went from Staging, to Assembly, to Inspection, to Shipping.

Anyway, hope that is helpful. FCA will also never tell you what the issue was, and as far as I can tell Jeep Cares probably doesn't even know the process above, and certainly doesn't have any insight to the inner workings or the actual repair. Once my Jeep was repaired and released from "I" status it was on its way to the dealer within 48 hours and was delivered within a few days.

I've "lightly" inspected my Jeep and can't find any obvious repairs, although one of the plastic fender liners was scuffed and out of place when I took delivery. Could be a clue or a fluke.

OP
OP

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
There's no official word from FCA on this. I had plenty of time to research this in my 30 days waiting, so I dug in across multiple forums, platforms, etc, and here is what I learned from scouring posts over the last 3-4 years (anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if you see an error or omission):

• If the inspection passes, the process of "being in I status" seems to take 1-3 days at most.
    • Be aware that the status updates aren't perfect - so it is possible that Jeep cares tells you you are in "I" status even though it has moved on to a new step but somehow didn't get updated in the system. (This isn't too likely but appears to happen occasionally)
  • If inspection fails, the Jeep is moved into some sort of holding area/parking lot - or perhaps any sort of parking lot - in, around, next to, near the factory, but almost definitely not into a clearly ordered first-in, first-out queue.
  • The process for picking which-Jeeps-get-fixed-when seems to have an element of chaos to it. Maybe they have 10 jeeps where the leather seats had a tear and they are waiting for "seat day" to fix them all. Maybe they just have a list and whichever jeep is easy to find gets fixed first. Maybe Bob was sick one week and he's the guy who does the best transmission repairs. Dunno. But eventually someone finds your Jeep.
  • Once it is in repair, it's not like it goes back to the assembly line. It gets pulled into a repair bay, a different worker figures out the problem and the solution, and fixes the Jeep much like it would be fixed by your local dealer - but let's be honest, all these guys do is fix wranglers day in and day out, so I think it is a safe bet that they are going to do a better job than your local dealer would.
Problems seem to be almost anything - cosmetic damage, a cross-threaded bolt or nut, wrong item installed on the line, or an actual component failure. In very, VERY rare cases they'll issue a rebuild and the Jeep will get built again with a new VIN number. (I imagine this would be the case for only the most dramatic of failures)

The actual process of fixing the Jeep doesn't seem to be the hold up in 97% of the cases. The hold up appears to be the time it takes from something being flagged to the Jeep being picked off the lot and pulled into the repair bay. (of course, component shortages could impact this) One thing I could not figure out is if vehicles that need to go "to body vendor" get sent there before or after being fixed - my Rubicon, for instance, never showed that status, it went from Staging, to Assembly, to Inspection, to Shipping.

Anyway, hope that is helpful. FCA will also never tell you what the issue was, and as far as I can tell Jeep Cares probably doesn't even know the process above, and certainly doesn't have any insight to the inner workings or the actual repair. Once my Jeep was repaired and released from "I" status it was on its way to the dealer within 48 hours and was delivered within a few days.

I've "lightly" inspected my Jeep and can't find any obvious repairs, although one of the plastic fender liners was scuffed and out of place when I took delivery. Could be a clue or a fluke.
That's a good write-up flot & pretty much my understanding too. Like I said earlier, for those stuck in "I" purgatory for over a month, it's probably better not to know. It is worth the wait though:

IMG_9639.jpg
Sponsored