Help understanding payload

Az1919

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Hi, I hope someone can help clarify a question I have about payload.

The sport S automatic with 4.10 axle has a listed payload of 1535 pounds.

However if I add the following will that payload number decrease or is it built into the equation?

1) Trac-Loc
2) Convience group
3) Cold weather group
4) 7 inch radio group
5) Active Safety Group
6) Advanced Safety Group
7) Auxiliary switch group
8) Cargo management group
9) Premium Audio
10) Trailer brake control

The list above may seem pedantic but when it come to payload my wiggle room is limited. I will be using the vehicle as my daily driver plus throughout the year as a tow vehicle for either a 19 foot airstream or a 23 foot model. Towing either shouldn’t be an issue but with a family of 4 (two adults, two kids) payload is the critical factor. I figure 650 pounds for the family and another 600 to 800 pounds for tongue weight and hitch. That would put me around 1400 pounds of payload. In the list above I didn’t even include the tonneau cover and Bedliner which I assume would decrease payload.

It’s either a Gladiator or a F150 xlt. I’d prefer the Jeep but if my final payload number is much below the stated figure I’ll have to buy a pair of truck nuts and go F150.

Any clarifying thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Payload is the total that you can add to the curb weight that your tires, suspension, axles and frame can carry.
That represents the total number of what your truck weighs plus whatever you put into your truck.

So the heavier the truck gets, the less you can add to the payload.

That's why the automatic has a 50lb less of payload because the transmission itself weighs 50lbs more.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Assuming you are still in the shopping phase, scour your local dealers and find a truck that matches as closly as possible to your target build and put eyes on the door tag.

The key metrics are GVW and GVCW. GVW is obviously just the maximum the vehicle itself can weigh. GVW - wet curb weight = cargo capacity allowable. GVCW is truck plus trailer and tongue weight counts as cargo weight. As you already have a handle on, balancing the maximum weight of the trailer, the correct tongue weight for good balance and track and the weight of the trailer can be a beautiful dance or a rude pig wallow depending on how near the limits you are. The final wrinkle is front and rear axle loading, it is possible to get all loaded up and hitched up and ready to rock but have your rear axle be over weight despite not maxing out overall. Bad times st the uhaul corral!

To answer your initial question, no its not baked in with love. The base base sport s max tow with no options can payload that but everything you add has a weight value associated to it. Hence why its important to look at tags that correspond to target builds.

Looking at the attached for a 2015 JKUR with just a hard top note the GVWR versus the listed payload. 850 pounds for people, pooches, food and clothes but the GVW IS 5700 pounds. 4850 wet curb? But the axles are rated at 2275 front and 3200 rear for 5475. GVCW IS 8325 with a 3500 GTW and 350 tongue. So some of the tongue weight is accounted for but oh my, with a full load and max trailer this would one wild ride. And by wild I mean going slow, big turns, no rapid anything and a hawks eyes on everything. Aint it fun?

Jeep Gladiator Help understanding payload 20200730_093525

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
If you are still shopping don't take every thing the salesman tells you about capacity. While shopping I found out my wife had a better understanding of tow ability than the salesman at the Ford lot or the three Jeep lots we looked at.
Sponsored