JeepScrub

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro SS, 2017 Chevy Cruze, 2021 JLU coming
Greetings!

I'm Jared. I'm absolutely brand new to all of this Jeep stuff. I've always been a huge GM homer and as such have almost exclusively owned Chevs all my life.

After going to TrailHero last October in my friends Agility Customs built JLU, I was HOOKED! I'm now selling my insanely modified 2016 Camaro SS to shift gears completely and get a 2021 Rubicon. I plan to do a solid adjustable 3" lift and run 37's with bead locks. Don't have plans to get anywhere near where some of you do with mods but will likely spend around 10K on mods.

After spending a few days at TrailHero, it was very easy to see that the Jeep community is EXCELLENT and I very much look forward to making new friends and memories. As stated, I'm incredibly green and could use all the help I can get about what to get and why. Feel free to chime in!

Thank you in advance!

Jared
Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepScrub

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before I get flamed.... I DID use the search function and have spent a LOT of time researching already. Just wanted some more input if thats okay. I plan to daily the Jeep sometimes but want it very capable still. I'll be driving it to events so I plan to purchase extra drivelines. If there is anything else you think I should keep on hand, let me know. Thanks again!

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
My garage currently has has about $2,000 in mods in boxes, another 3k are sitting at the dealer (lift and tires), I just spent lunch picking out another $800 mod.... AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY WRANGLER YET! Hooked is a nice way of putting it! Here is a fun place to start:

Welcome :like:

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Save your $10k. Wheel your Jeep in Its stock form to gauge its and your capabilities. Then look into mods that will help you get the most out of your rig, i.e. lift, larger tires, wheels etc. Probably one of the best ways to keep you from buying a bunch of non essential mods. But hey, that’s just my take. In the end it’s your money, rig and your preference.

OP
OP

JeepScrub

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put 80K in my Camaro and I'll never go that crazy again. I keep hearing that the JL Rubicons are pretty stout in stock form. Is this not accurate? I won't be leaving it stock. Just not how I roll :CWL:. I'm gonna follow my buddy where ever he goes for the most part. I wanted to run 37's as i'm told thats about the limit without having to go full retard on the mods. Are the places saying it will hold up just trying to sell me a bill of goods? I know the steering may need the assist but I HATE how numb it makes the steering feel so i'd like to leave that be for now.

Thank you all for the input so far. It is very helpful. :fist bump:

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. I've got 1.5k (Canadian Pesos) wrapped up in my winch and mount, 3.5k in just wheels, looking at 3k lift, 1200 for shocks, 2k for tires... I don't have my jeep yet either!

OP
OP

JeepScrub

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol. I've got 1.5k (Canadian Pesos) wrapped up in my winch and mount, 3.5k in just wheels, looking at 3k lift, 1200 for shocks, 2k for tires... I don't have my jeep yet either!
Thank you!

I'm getting the steel bumpers so I believe there will be the spot for the winch already but I could be wrong. A winch will come but not in the first 10K. There is lots to consider. I may spend a little more than 10 but i'm definitely not going for having the best and baddest. Just capable and sexy. I don't like the look of a Jeep at all in stock form.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A stock Rubicon will allow you to do 95% of the trails out there. A Rubicon with 35-inch tires will allow you to do 98% of the trails you will ever encounter. A Rubicon with a 3-inch lift and 37-inch tire will allow you to 99% of the trails out there.

As you can see, it is diminishing returns...

The most I’d do to a Rubicon is add a 2-inch lift and 35-inch tires. Done.

I’d spend the rest of my time and money getting a good winch and learning to pick my lines.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepScrub

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A stock Rubicon will allow you to do 95% of the trails out there. A Rubicon with 35-inch tires will allow you to do 98% of the trails you will ever encounter. A Rubicon with a 3-inch lift and 37-inch tire will allow you to 99% of the trails out there.

As you can see, it is diminishing returns...

The most I’d do to a Rubicon is add a 2-inch lift and 35-inch tires. Done.

I’d spend the rest of my time and money getting a good winch and learning to pick my lines.
Excellent feedback! Thank you!

Alright, you've talked me into a winch also. I know it's probably silly but I just can't make myself like the Rubicons on 35's. Personal preference is all but It looks much meaner on 37's. On TrailHero, I paid pretty close attention and the people on 35's had a significantly harder time on some of the 8-9 trails than the people on 37's and 40's it seemed. I'll never be going over the crazy scary stuff like "you gotta be nuts" but I don't plan on taking many if any bypasses if I can help it. 🤞

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
You will blow by the $10K in a jiffy.

I would actually wheel it or hang out with a few Jeep folks that your buddy runs with first before piling in money.

Sadly this forum will be no help on mods as they are so personal. Just look at one suspension/lift thread and you will get about 10 different guys saying theirs is the best and they have had a bunch of things.

It really comes down to personal preference but I have found asking your immediate wheelers around you most often you will get the best opinions. Not many people here after spending tens of thousands of dollars on mods are going to tell you what they chose was crap.

Enjoy the journey but be sure in a few months when you pass $10K you let us all know so we can say we told you so.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Are you planning on buying a JLR or JLRU ? You don't need to go as high on a 2door .... also which engine option are you leaning 🤔
This is the best time to get wrangler because there are so many engine choices... also given they all have ESS now, you can choose between the different aux power options like a beefier alternator or small 12v aux battery or the larger 48v aux battery.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent feedback! Thank you!

Alright, you've talked me into a winch also. I know it's probably silly but I just can't make myself like the Rubicons on 35's. Personal preference is all but It looks much meaner on 37's. On TrailHero, I paid pretty close attention and the people on 35's had a significantly harder time on some of the 8-9 trails than the people on 37's and 40's it seemed. I'll never be going over the crazy scary stuff like "you gotta be nuts" but I don't plan on taking many if any bypasses if I can help it. 🤞
Yes, 37” tires look great, but they come with all sorts of side effects.

You will need to significantly beef up your steering and suspension components, replace the driveshafts, regear, etc. You will also lose one or two of the top gears on the automatic transmission. Your MPG, ride and handling will go to shit. And don’t expect to get much money for any of it when you sell the Jeep.

Your buddies will give you the thumbs up. But your girlfriend and your dog will refuse to climb into the Jeep. You will need to get a new bird and a rescue dog...or take the cat.
Sponsored