Sponsored

Help! Snapped my axle on my 2022 JLUR Xtreme Recon and I need advice!

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
blown head gaskets, “quiet coolant leak” that was seeping into the block…warped my cylinders without any notice or warning beforehand.

no puddle or visual coolant leak. Received zero low coolant light/errors, received no engine light, received no high temperature light. Only knew i had a problem when the jeep idled really rough.

had no coolant in reservoir…so i filled it and maintained it until I could get it to a dealer (rarely drove it). First dealer thought EGR cooler (which is not covered under my EW). after this, I received the ESS light only.

Took it to a 2nd dealer…they opened the engine to find coolant in cylinders and warped cylinders beyond repair. Engine was burning the coolant and this is why there were no visual leaks (no puddles under the jeep).

edit: this happened @ 61k miles (1k miles beyond PTrain warranty). Only thing that saved me was my extended warranty that kicked in and only paid $100 deductible for a brand new engine.
Ouch... My mechanic friends always recommend checking your coolant levels each week when you put gas in the vehicle. It is a good way to identify these issues before they cause significant damage.

You were very lucky with this one.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Would you drive into a brick wall at 20 mph if your suspension (springs) sat between the steel bumper and frame ends and not expect to break something, or that it would be covered under warranty?

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Looking at the pic, I don't think OP jumped it so much as flopped it down hard in a ravine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Snapped my axle on my 2022 JLUR Xtreme Recon and I need advice! 1663777467091

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch... My mechanic friends always recommend checking your coolant levels each week when you put gas in the vehicle. It is a good way to identify these issues before they cause significant damage.

You were very lucky with this one.
After this experience, I will. I thought I would have sensors to notify me of any of these issues, since that is their purpose. Out of all the years I’ve driven and the different types of vehicles I’ve been familiar with, this has never happened. Definitely a first-time situation, hoping it is the last time.

Personally, I think I had faulty sensors. Or maybe the intense heat/humidity of my location affected them or made them faulty.

I’ve posted my invoice and description of work in another thread if you are interested in seeing it.

Thanks for the recommendation. 🙏🏽

Sponsored

snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU)
The factory front axle has a known week spot due to the FAD.

One option is to replace the D44's with D60's or D80's, which is a relatively expensive option, probably north of 20k

IMHO, there are a few options to make the JL axles stronger. Here are my recommendations.

1. Hydraulic bump stops.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Snapped my axle on my 2022 JLUR Xtreme Recon and I need advice! 1663777467091

More info is found in the link below:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/manual-2-door-rubicon-bikini-build.48532/page-2

Another option is to stiffen the factory front axle by using a weld on kits like the one Artec sells, as shown below:

https://www.artecindustries.com/jlapexftruss
https://www.artecindustries.com/jlinnerc
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/manual-2-door-rubicon-bikini-build.48532/

Since a new axle is going to be installed, not a bad time to do those upgrades to a stock axle.
Solid advice....I just did the Artec armor package from my front axle for just this reason. Hydro stops are next! :)

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
After this experience, I will. I thought I would have sensors to notify me of any of these issues, since that is their purpose. Out of all the years I’ve driven and the different types of vehicles I’ve been familiar with, this has never happened. Definitely a first-time situation, hoping it is the last time.

Personally, I think I had faulty sensors. Or maybe the intense heat/humidity of my location affected them or made them faulty.

I’ve posted my invoice and description of work in another thread if you are interested in seeing it.

Thanks for the recommendation. 🙏🏽
I have seen things like this before. The sensors will work if a radiator hose bursts and there is a sudden increase in the temperature.

When there is a slow leak like this, the sensors will respond when the overflow bottle is empty and the coolant levels in the radiator start to get low. By then some kind of damage may have taken place.

Sometimes an early warning signal will show up as the a/c not blowing as cool as normal. This is a result of additional heat coming from the engine. I have seen this take place even before the temperature gauge reacts.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the pic, I don't think OP jumped it so much as flopped it down hard in a ravine.

I think his belly is on the hump, I bet the wheels were up in the air and broke when came back down…..

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Except thats a Rubicon in their commercial. They are portraying it as king of the sand ripping around. They should have just did a rock crawling commercial then. That's my point. Don't false adverise. And they released this commercial at the same time the new Bronco was released. Which is a vehicle that is made for that type of off roading.

maxresdefault.jpg
When the Rubicon came out there was a commercial of a 2door Rubicon climbing a waterfall like it was nothing.

It was real footage of a professional driver. A noob going over that waterfall could easily roll over his stock Jeep. Does that mean Jeep has to cover that under warranty?

That's an absurd claim. It assumes the vehicle capability is all that matters off road and drivers skill is meaningless.

When you are offroading there is a lot of driver skill involved. You need to understand the weaknesses of you as a driver and your vehicle to reduce risk of vehicle damage, total loss, injury or death.

Tire manufacturers sometimes claim to have the best traction on rain or whatever. Then some jackass decides he is the next Michal Schumacher during a rainstorm, slides off the road and totals his car. Is he gonna make a warranty claim to the tire company?

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I think his belly is on the hump, I bet the wheels were up in the air and broke when came back down…..
Agree they were in the air and broke when it come down, but I think OP drove through the grass behind the Jeep, dropped into the ravine where the Jeep sits now, and it stopped dead. There's no wheel ruts in the sand behind the Jeep, so I think it's a flop and not a pop up the hump.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Why is there a flag on your VIN?
I peeled the "Wrangler" and "Unlimited" decals off. LOL

OP. Sorry to hijack.

I had the dealer swap out my stock tires with 35s at delivery. I wheeled her that week. Scraped a bit and dinged a few things underneath. I just needed to get her a little higher and added a lift and 37's. That led to bigger obstacles. The rear passenger axle seal developed a leak. I bring her in and the dealership flagged it as heavily modified and owner misuse. I thought it was just the one dealership and went to another one 15 miles away. They say the same thing. I fixed it myself with new chromoly axles. LOL. Then the radio goes out. I bring her in to another dealership while on a cross country RV trip. They said my warranty is void because I installed a CoolTech wire harness for towing. I said screw it and went mod heavy on a 10 month old JLUR.
She hasnt been in the dealership bay for over 2 years. Now I have full body skids, high tuck exhaust/muffler loop delete, etc.(all in the vehicle showcase) I decided to try a mod friendly dealership 200 miles away to get the steel steering box. They said "sure" even with all new steering components, knuckles, etc. They did an 180. They said someone went out of their way to notify Jeep for the VIN "Flag" or "permanent warranty claim denial" Oh well. 3 years has passed.

Moral of the story. If you want Warranty work done, keep it the way you received it and have them do all the maintenance. Or stay away from a Service department that thinks they own stock and goes out of their way to screw an owner.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen things like this before. The sensors will work if a radiator hose bursts and there is a sudden increase in the temperature.

When there is a slow leak like this, the sensors will respond when the overflow bottle is empty and the coolant levels in the radiator start to get low. By then some kind of damage may have taken place.

Sometimes an early warning signal will show up as the a/c not blowing as cool as normal. This is a result of additional heat coming from the engine. I have seen this take place even before the temperature gauge reacts.
….you know…the a/c not blowing as cold could’ve been a thing. Maybe I assumed it was just super hot outside because we hit triple digits around this time. I also don’t run my a/c a lot…so maybe if I had ran it normally, I would’ve noticed a difference. Thanks for this tip!