Sponsored

Help! Snapped my axle on my 2022 JLUR Xtreme Recon and I need advice!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Again, the shop doing my gears had them stacked up like cord wood, busted right through the FAD casting.
Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
2,800 miles and 2 months on my beautiful black JLUR and I snapped my axle while in the sand dunes. Here's my questions. Any advice you can give me is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
1 - My insurance is covering it, but I'm trying to get Jeep to cover this under the warranty. So far, the service manager is telling me no, it's not covered. But I wasn't going over 20 mph in the sand and hit a bump that was 2 - 3 feet high. I did NOT catch any air, but had a hard hit at the bottom. Not axle breaking in my opinion, but here I am with a broken axle. I've been told that I can request that a Chrysler rep come look at it, but that if I do they will still deny it and they will red-flag my VIN so that any future warranty requests will be denied. Hearing that really pissed me off. What the f*ck do I have a warranty for if they won't fix anything? Does anybody else have experience with their warranty getting red-flagged? I've read over the warranty and it has these 2 exclusions that are vague.
• Abuse or negligence
• Misuse, for example, driving over curbs or overloading
In my opinion, a Jeep Wrangler with stock 35" tires and a 2.5" lift is meant for off-roading, therefore, this wouldn't be considered misuse or abuse. What do you guys think?
2 - I've read through the owner's manual and it mentions an Event Data Recorder (EDR). What do you guys know about this? Will it tell me exactly how fast I was going when my axle snapped? Because that would be handy information when talking to Jeep about this.
3 - Is the front axle breaking on a 2022 JL a common occurrence? Is this a defective part?
4 - What is a more sturdy replacement part for the front axle? I'd rather not have this happen to me again and if I can spend a few extra bucks on an axle that won't break then I'd rather do that.

20220907_081655.jpg
20220905_194641.jpg

20220905_194549.jpg
Broke Axle Shaft, Housing or both? If its both you are hosed for sure. If its just the housing you chance.

I broke my axle shaft rear driver's side. My jeep was may 2 weeks old maybe a couple of hundred miles. They looked at and determined it a bad shaft to begin with, it had an internal flaw. I asked HOW did you know? He said it was simple, they took it apart and the axle was rusted internally, badly, so it had to be a bad shaft from the factory.

Your housing may have a bad weld or was not inserted far enough. Never seen a break, but seen bends and collapses.

What I find shocking is the weight of today's jeeps. My TJ Rubicon with every option on it IIRC was around 34xx lbs. Now it seems Jeeps are heading towards 5000 lbs.

Going back to the 60s Chev (Camaro) and Chrysler (Dodge/Plymouth). Built COPO cars. Usually in runs of a few hundred and the cars were BARE BONES STRIPPED DOWN. Options were tans and engines, that was it.

IF I WERE JEEP. I offer up COPOs or something a bit similar in a Rubicon format, options engines from V6 to full out 426 Hemi and trans and D 60 axles.

Jeep could put us into this for well under $40k. It would be built by Jeep for Off road only (mods to make it street legal in your state would have to be done) and prob a min of any kind of warranty.

There is NO radio, heater, AC or much else. In fact Chev called me a couple of years ago and offered me a COPO Camaro and we talked about it, but they stressed it may not meet your states licensing requirements, IOW you might need to make some mods to license to drive it on the street. After much talk and discussion with my wife I ended up turning them down, if it had been a Corvette I would have JUMPED...note the COPO Camaro was $150k depending upon engine choice, or you could buy all of the engines they offered I think there 4 engines you could get.

The COPOs were built for ÂĽ mi or circle track use.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The problem with a "COPO" like jeep is the same as with the past cars offered that way. It takes engineering hours, and a dedicated production system (COPOs were essentially hand built, hence the $150k tag). So, leaving things off a Jeep could very well cost FCA more to produce. The limited sales of specialty vehicles is the issue driving cost.
Sponsored