Sponsored

Help! Snapped my axle on my 2022 JLUR Xtreme Recon and I need advice!

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
my guy at the 4x4 shop in town tells me that I can't break a Dana 44. I'm still waiting on his quote, but that's likely what I'll go with. The Jeep service center quoted $3,850 for the part to replace the stock axle. The waiting period without my JLURXR is excruciating. It's September and going into October, the best time to go Jeeping in Moab. 😭😭😭
I totally feel your pain about not having your Jeep. I was without mine for 44 days. I was hurt! If it wasn't for my dad's 3500 cummins diesel, I would've lost my mind lol. Driving his dually made me miss my Jeep a lil less.

Once your jeep is fixed, you'll forget about the anguish you had while waiting lol. It'll literally feel like you've gotten a new Jeep again (depending on the wait).
Sponsored

Reactions: KNN

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I totally feel your pain about not having your Jeep. I was without mine for 44 days. I was hurt! If it wasn't for my dad's 3500 cummins diesel, I would've lost my mind lol. Driving his dually made me miss my Jeep a lil less.

Once your jeep is fixed, you'll forget about the anguish you had while waiting lol. It'll literally feel like you've gotten a new Jeep again (depending on the wait).
I'll be driving my 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins a little more. My daughter will be using my Jeep more and more now. I don't trust her in the big diesel truck. Just too big for a 16 yr old girl, new to driving.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
You hit a 2'-3' "bump" while going 20mph? You don't think that constitutes misuse "like driving over a curb"? Lol. That isn't what Jeep means by "offroading". That's fast and high enough to get air and obviously cause major damage. You will never get this warrantied.
I get it, you're angry and are looking to deflect some of the culpability here. Unfortunately, it falls square onto you. Let insurance pay for it, get a new axle and move on.

If it makes you feel any better, definitely one of the gnarliest pictures on here for trail damage. If internet points are your thing, you get a lot for this.
Definitely agree.
Disclaimer: I'm not calling OP a liar or saying anyone is wrong in their assessment.
What I am saying: I've only ever seen this happen once, and it was a pic of a 2018 JLUR that was airing it out over the dunes (possibly Pismo, I know it was CA somewhere) and snapped the axle at the Front Axle Disconnect on landing- looks to be the exact same place or very close, if I'm seeing that right.
Normally I don't side with dealers- but man, it's really hard to see a dealer covering this under warranty. I know the FAD is the weak point but based on my limited experience, I've only ever seen this a few times, and one was confirmed someone was jumping the Jeep.
Hope it gets sorted for you, OP.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Disclaimer: I'm not calling OP a liar or saying anyone is wrong in their assessment.
What I am saying: I've only ever seen this happen once, and it was a pic of a 2018 JLUR that was airing it out over the dunes (possibly Pismo, I know it was CA somewhere) and snapped the axle at the Front Axle Disconnect on landing- looks to be the exact same place or very close, if I'm seeing that right.
Normally I don't side with dealers- but man, it's really hard to see a dealer covering this under warranty. I know the FAD is the weak point but based on my limited experience, I've only ever seen this a few times, and one was confirmed someone was jumping the Jeep.
Hope it gets sorted for you, OP.
Insurance has them covered. Dealer wouldn't cover.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be driving my 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins a little more. My daughter will be using my Jeep more and more now. I don't trust her in the big diesel truck. Just too big for a 16 yr old girl, new to driving.
Haha...yess! My dad's is a 2005 3500 4x4 cummins extended cab dually. Once she gets used to driving the Jeep she'll be able to drive your truck with no issues. Because my Jeep is lifted, that really helped with driving my dad's truck. I just had to remember that it was longer than usual, and wider at the back. Having the mirrors set just right helps with awareness and dimensions.

I love his truck... I told him I might have to take it from him lol. 😂 :devil:

Sponsored

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
my guy at the 4x4 shop in town tells me that I can't break a Dana 44. I'm still waiting on his quote, but that's likely what I'll go with. The Jeep service center quoted $3,850 for the part to replace the stock axle. The waiting period without my JLURXR is excruciating. It's September and going into October, the best time to go Jeeping in Moab. 😭😭😭
I had a much less extreme accident with my XR axle. Was able to confirm it hadn’t been bent once it came off, but the shop and insurance said to replace.

I ended up going with a ProRock 44, fully built with RCVs, that took 3 months to deliver and install.

The wait was excrutiating, but at least I could still drive my Jeep. I would never recommend putting another factory dana 44 on the Jeep. Use the money for a better and stronger axle. Dynatrak, Currie, etc.

Reactions: J0E

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I had a much less extreme accident with my XR axle. Was able to confirm it hadn’t been bent once it came off, but the shop and insurance said to replace.

I ended up going with a ProRock 44, fully built with RCVs, that took 3 months to deliver and install.

The wait was excrutiating, but at least I could still drive my Jeep. I would never recommend putting another factory dana 44 on the Jeep. Use the money for a better and stronger axle. Dynatrak, Currie, etc.
What happened to yours?

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
What happened to yours?
I was driving on a class VI (unmaintained road) in the winter going about 15 mph and the front drivers tire fell through snow crust and bounced hard in a big hole. I was probably going about 15mph.

Bent the passenger side tie rod end and drag link end. My shop also told me that the C on the drivers side was pushed back about 3/8” of an inch, however, when we pulled the axle out we couldn’t find any sign of that in person. I was already running a MetalCloak 3.5” Gamechanger and they measured front to rear tires on both sides to compare the difference. My guess is the control arms were off (the same shop installed a ProRock44 and didn’t update the front control arms before telling me it was finished = bad spring alignment and bump tower rub).

My steering wheel was turned about 90‘ after the accident, but after a rough alignment on the shop, I drove the Jeep on and moderately offroad for another 4000 miles without any unusual wear on the tires. So if there really was a bend, it couldn’t have been impactful.

With my Gamechanger, I only run 1” of bump on the front and rear because of the massive XR bump stop towers, and I have extensively flexed the Jeep to confirm the shocks aren’t over compressing and that there isn’t any rub (37” K02s, chopped fenders, aluminum liners).

What I learned is don’t drive that fast over terrain that is that unknown. It cost me about $2K out of pocket for the ProRock44 and install, after I sold my axle to another shop for $1K.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was driving on a class VI (unmaintained road) in the winter going about 15 mph and the front drivers tire fell through snow crust and bounced hard in a big hole. I was probably going about 15mph.

Bent the passenger side tie rod end and drag link end. My shop also told me that the C on the drivers side was pushed back about 3/8” of an inch, however, when we pulled the axle out we couldn’t find any sign of that in person. I was already running a MetalCloak 3.5” Gamechanger and they measured front to rear tires on both sides to compare the difference. My guess is the control arms were off (the same shop installed a ProRock44 and didn’t update the front control arms before telling me it was finished = bad spring alignment and bump tower rub).

My steering wheel was turned about 90‘ after the accident, but after a rough alignment on the shop, I drove the Jeep on and moderately offroad for another 4000 miles without any unusual wear on the tires. So if there really was a bend, it couldn’t have been impactful.

With my Gamechanger, I only run 1” of bump on the front and rear because of the massive XR bump stop towers, and I have extensively flexed the Jeep to confirm the shocks aren’t over compressing and that there isn’t any rub (37” K02s, chopped fenders, aluminum liners).

What I learned is don’t drive that fast over terrain that is that unknown. It cost me about $2K out of pocket for the ProRock44 and install, after I sold my axle to another shop for $1K.
Man, that sucks. Glad to see you're good now though.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
Fwiw, most of the folks in my Jeep club upgrade their axle shots to chrome moly as an early mod. We do a lot of wheeling and the stock axle shafts do break. Sometimes it doesn't seem like they should but they do - prior stress, defects whatever. Shafts aren't nearly as expensive for your 44 as the dealer is quoting and you can replace them yourself if you have some skills. Then you can have the stockers to take along for spare parts.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Fwiw, most of the folks in my Jeep club upgrade their axle shots to chrome moly as an early mod. We do a lot of wheeling and the stock axle shafts do break. Sometimes it doesn't seem like they should but they do - prior stress, defects whatever. Shafts aren't nearly as expensive for your 44 as the dealer is quoting and you can replace them yourself if you have some skills. Then you can have the stockers to take along for spare parts.
Read the first post.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
I did read the post but should also looked at the pics. That's not just an axle shafts. My apologies and condolences...

OP
OP
lott007

lott007

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer

is the dana 44 the factory axle? I thought it was an upgrade to the factory axle.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
is the dana 44 the factory axle? I thought it was an upgrade to the factory axle.
Dana 44 refers to the general ring and pinion size of the axle, and also rough sizing on the axle shafts. Axle housing dimensions and construction falls outside of that designation. There's a wide variety of Dana 44 axles. Aftermarket D44s tend to be much beefier than the OEM axles, with much thicker axle tubes, some have rotated housings, most have caster-corrected construction too to account for lift. An OEM D44 and an aftermarket D44 can be very, very different.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase
2 feet of air (allegedly) in a solid axle at speed is extreme. Moreso in an XR with the 8 foot bumpstops. It's physics. It came down with like 5k of weight on that stock strut and spring while the bumpstop was pushing in the opposite direction. Add in the FAD location as well.

Jeep meant for us to take our time over obstacles and enjoy nature. They brought out the Mojave JT for Ferris Bueller's Day Off style hooning. ;)
FAD?
Sponsored