Sponsored

Help! Rust area on brand-new JLUR 2021

cdliao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2021, Volvo XC90
I am newbie to the wrangler world and first thank people in the forum, it was very helpful. I bought brand-new JLUR from dealer on May 14th, 2021. Today, when I was checking the underneath, I noticed that there is an area on the frame under the driver seat, which seems to be rusted and covered with coating. The rust seems to be only on the surface. It seems to be coated with the existing rust at factory or something bad happened at dealership. My wrangler was built Dec 2020, and has been on dealer lot for quite a while (only 10 miles on the speedometer when I test drove). I am seeking for advice on: 1. whether this is normal or an issue; 2. If it is an issueI, what would be my stratagem as I am most likely to be turned back by dealership with a "normal" explanation if I directly go to the dealership. I am attaching the pictures. Thank you very much.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Rust area on brand-new JLUR 2021 20210524_173114

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Rust area on brand-new JLUR 2021 20210524_175110
Sponsored

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
Dang that’s ugly!

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
That's a flaw that made it through quality control.

Take it to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty.

HellaTaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
IMO if your shoe size and mileage are the same, I wouldn't leave the dealership until you're 100% satisfied. @JeepCares can probably help here as well.

OP
OP
cdliao

cdliao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO if your shoe size and mileage are the same, I wouldn't leave the dealership until you're 100% satisfied. @JeepCares can probably help here as well.
Thanks (And thank the repliers above as well). What kind of fix that dealer may approach. Sand out and re-coating? Or this may be more serious and require replacement of this part of the beam(not sure whether this is even possible)?

I guess I will also go to some independent bodyshop and get some initial investigation.

Sponsored

lishmac

First Name
SHLI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
this is bad, get a body shop inspect it and ask them how bad is this and how would they fix it. If the body shop think it is really bad, ask for another vehicle, if it is repairable (in the body shop's word not dealer's) let warranty take care of it

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks (And thank the repliers above as well). What kind of fix that dealer may approach. Sand out and re-coating? Or this may be more serious and require replacement of this part of the beam(not sure whether this is even possible)?

I guess I will also go to some independent bodyshop and get some initial investigation.
Are those holes or is it just bubbling? Hard to tell in the photo.

If it's holes then it's not going to be an easy fix. It would require cutting out a section of frame and welding. (I'd strongly be pushing for a refund or a replacement in that case) If it's just bubbling then they'll likely use a flap disk to take it down to bare metal, prime, and paint. - easy fix.

OP
OP
cdliao

cdliao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

If it's holes then it's not going to be an easy fix. It would require cutting out a section of frame and welding. (I'd strongly be pushing for a refund or a replacement in that case) If it's just bubbling then they'll likely use a flap disk to take it down to bare metal, prime, and paint. - easy fix.
Indeed, It is not holes. I was able to touch the other side and it looks fairly smooth to me.

Thanks. It looks like bubbling. Also, I was able to utilize the vent on the side to reach, cleanup and take photos from inside. It seems clean to me. Still a bad quality control though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Rust area on brand-new JLUR 2021 WechatIMG1140

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Indeed, It is not holes. I was able to touch the other side and it looks fairly smooth to me.

Thanks. It looks like bubbling. Also, I was able to utilize the vent on the side to reach, cleanup and take photos from inside. It seems clean to me. Still a bad quality control though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Rust area on brand-new JLUR 2021 WechatIMG1140
Good to hear. If it was me I'd just take some sandpaper to it or a wire wheel and spray it with some gloss or semi-gloss Rustoleum (whichever matches best). If you're going to take it off-road a can of paint that matches the frame will be a good thing to have around to touch up areas you've hit. Especially, if you're in an area that salts the roads.

SupK

First Name
Sup
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler
Were you able to get the dealership to fix this? What did they do to fix this?
Sponsored