Sponsored

Help! Registering out of state lease in CA.

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
Just got back from the DMV where I was unsuccessful in registering my new Jeep. Does anyone here have experience of doing this with their brand new out of state lease?

The DMV reps can’t agree on what I need to bring to the office. I’ve been told title, certificate of origin, power of attorney, statement of origin by one person and then just temp registration from state of sale and smog by another. I feel totally lost. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just got back from the DMV where I was unsuccessful in registering my new Jeep. Does anyone here have experience of doing this with their brand new out of state lease?

The DMV wants all kinds of paperwork that I don't have. Title, certificate of origin, power of attorney. I feel totally lost.
Call the lease company. It was a pain when I did it in NC. Make sure you have the list of things you need them to send you.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
The lease company should be able to re-title it in CA so you can register. They’ll charge you, and it may change your lease payments. But if you don’t, you might end up owing taxes in 2 states for 1 car depending on laws. I had a drag out fight over this because my bank was taking taxes as part of my lease but not actually paying so the state came after me. I eventually got a military spouse from the county tax office that told me this was normal willfull negligence by the bank when dealing with military customers. They know we’ll pay to stay out of trouble and they’ll pocket the taxes you already paid. She delighted in taking them to town.
Sponsored