Sponsored

HELP PLS!!!! Jeep Service Center returned my JLU with NO OIL after routine oil change.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How can a engine run for 5 to 6 miles, with no engine oil in it?
Remember the old Slick 50 ads driving with no oil lol.

Sorry opp for your headache. The underside of Jeep would be soaked with oil, at least a 91 chevy truck is from experience but had plenty of smoke so able to get it shut down in time.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Where's the OP of this thread? Was it ever stated what motor this happened to?
For there to be no trace of 5-6 qts of oil on a driven jeep they would have had to be driving in a full wash bay w/ undercarriage jets cleaning the chassis, then a full dry, OP didn't say anything about driving through a car wash in that 5-6 mile run.

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP PLS!!!!  Jeep Service Center returned my JLU with NO OIL after routine oil change. e80c662d9eb718208f6a27f9e14f10c7

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Absolutely not legally permissible. Safety recalls are issued specifically for any failure that is commonly resulting in engine stalls while driving. The engine can burn up for all anyone cares, you have time to safely pull over and stop the vehicle. That is the responsibility of the driver.
Well, that's not true. I understand if you abruptly kill the motor, but this could be a controlled event just like with boat engines or DEF vehicles. If you fail to add DEF to a truck, it will be reduced HP until you fill it up. You can certainly reduce the vehicle's RPMs to a level that reduces harm to the engine and allows the driver to pull over. There are a ton of "messages" for other faults yet a person is just supposed to react to a dash light? Come on, there are better ways to address this to reduce or eliminate damage.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well, that's not true. I understand if you abruptly kill the motor, but this could be a controlled event just like with boat engines or DEF vehicles. If you fail to add DEF to a truck, it will be reduced HP until you fill it up. You can certainly reduce the vehicle's RPMs to a level that reduces harm to the engine and allows the driver to pull over. There are a ton of "messages" for other faults yet a person is just supposed to react to a dash light? Come on, there are better ways to address this to reduce or eliminate damage.
Whatā€™s not true?

With low oil pressure, the whole dash lights up red and tells you exactly what is happening.

There is no RPM that is safe for an engine with no oil pressure.

Sponsored

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Whatā€™s not true?

With low oil pressure, the whole dash lights up red and tells you exactly what is happening.

There is no RPM that is safe for an engine with no oil pressure.
The whole dash lights up? I guess I need to see what displays but I've been told it's just the dash light. I'm saying it's not true there's a way to shut these engines down....reduce power and alert the driver within a given amount of time to pull off. Abrupt cutoff, 100% agree with you on the safety issue and rules.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
While the dealership failed to put oil in the jeep, the OP screwed up. The Low Pressure light went on and he still drove to get his daughter from school then drove another 5 miles home. If the low pressure light comes on, you pull over and turn the vehicle off. This is common knowledge. 15 year olds in Drver Ed are taught this....

He stated that he limped it home. You can't "limp" a vehicle home with no oil. A low tire or a car that is idling funny can be slowly limped. Just like a person with a pulled muscle or stubbed toe can limp home. You can't limp home with no blood or oil for that matter....

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
While the dealership failed to put oil in the jeep, the OP screwed up. The Low Pressure light went on and he still drove to get his daughter from school then drove another 5 miles home. If the low pressure light comes on, you pull over and turn the vehicle off. This is common knowledge. 15 year olds in Drver Ed are taught this....

He stated that he limped it home. You can't "limp" a vehicle home with no oil. A low tire or a car that is idling funny can be slowly limped. Just like a person with a pulled muscle or stubbed toe can limp home. You can't limp home with no blood or oil for that matter....
It's been a while since I took driver's ed but I can promise that was never covered. I know because my father taught me about those things (way before the internet, forums, etc.) but I can promise you if my wife saw that light, she would continue to work and then call me :) Actually, she wouldn't because she seized a Trans Am engine without checking the oil and ended up paying for the engine replacement many years ago. She's gun-shy now :).

Anyways, it's 2022...seriously, there's gotta be a better way. If my ABS has an issue I get a dash message, email, notice in the mail, service appointment scheduled, etc. :)

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
It's been a while since I took driver's ed but I can promise that was never covered. I know because my father taught me about those things (way before the internet, forums, etc.) but I can promise you if my wife saw that light, she would continue to work and then call me :) Actually, she wouldn't because she seized a Trans Am engine without checking the oil and ended up paying for the engine replacement many years ago. She's gun-shy now :).

Anyways, it's 2022...seriously, there's gotta be a better way. If my ABS has an issue I get a dash message, email, notice in the mail, service appointment scheduled, etc. :)
I taught summer school Driver Ed for years to get out of the house/keep busy. There is a whole unit on dash lights, their meanings, and what to do for each of them. Even videos šŸ˜†.

Sorry about the Trans Am, and wives says husbands don't listen or pay attention...

Canes_JL

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4xe / 2023 Rubicon XR
Clubs

Didnā€™t read all 6 pages butā€¦..

Several years ago a similar situation occurred with my wifeā€™s ford fusion. Quick Lube did in fact feel it back up however the below person drained it not realizing it was the same vehicle. Got the usual run around claiming something happen after she left and they werenā€™t responsible.

Called the manager and told him ā€œmy lawyerā€ who I had not retained needed to know where to send the request for the video footage the manage had mentioned was reviewedā€¦.the store itself or a corporate office.

30 minutes after that phone conversation I get a called back. They ā€œreviewedā€ the footage again, was accepting responsibility of the damages and replaced the motor of their dime.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You donā€™t engage limp mode unnecessarily. In the case of low engine oil pressure, the vehicle will run like absolute shit as the VVT system fails.

There is no way to not know exactly what is happening, unless your dash is covered in faded Polaroids of you and your friends in bikinis.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This why the people that work for dealerships get a rep for being scummy. It's not a company that's scummy. It's people. The people that the OP has dealt with are trying to cover their asses, probably without the upper management finding out. The OP will find out if the upper management are honorable people if he speaks with them about this.

I'm dealing with a small store that went under while my very expensive saddle was on consignment. I confronted the owner a couple days ago. She's just going to steal it. Scummy people are regular people that do scummy things when the chips are down.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
You obviously have never heard of a ā€œdouble gasketā€ situation......a situation in which a spin-on oil filter is replaced....replaced without wiping down the oil filter base....where the previous oil filter gasket is still stuck to the oil filter housing.

The above reason is why I asked the OP what engine was in their Jeep in post #2.
In the hundreds of oil changes I've done, I've never had this happen, and I've never heard of it happening. I would still not expect it to leak out at the rate the dealer is trying to tell him it did, that was my general point.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
In the hundreds of oil changes I've done, I've never had this happen, and I've never heard of it happening. I would still not expect it to leak out at the rate the dealer is trying to tell him it did, that was my general point.

It can, it has, and it leaks like crazy.
Sponsored