Sponsored

HELP PLS!!!! Jeep Service Center returned my JLU with NO OIL after routine oil change.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Totally agree as a life long oil changer. But hard to pass up freebees.
I guess the moral of the story is 'check your work' and check other's work.
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Victory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 - 2 Door Base Sport MT w/ half doors
If there was NO oil you wouldnā€™t have made it out of the dealership, it would have seized on the dealer as he moved it out of the bay.
Iā€™m not familiar with the JL dipstick as my JL is still in order, but it could be a little more than 1 qt low and not show at all on the stick.

Since it took a few miles for the low oil pressure light to come on, I think they are likely somewhat telling the truth about the leak. My guess though is they reinstalled the drain plug by hand and forgot to put a wrench on it to tighten up. As you drove it loosened up more.

either that or they didnā€™t count the quarts going in and filled it too low.

If the engine did not overheat you are likely fine. I know itā€™s not ideal, and while it is possible some damage could have been done to the bearings, my guess is itā€™s fine without overheating.

I would get an oil analysis done (send my own not rely on the dealer to tell you what was found).
It would be nice if they gave you an extended warranty for piece of mind, but it doesnā€™t sound like you should have major damage.

Iā€™ve started up an engine with no oil replaced after a change. It took less than 10 seconds to seize up, with a terrible noise.

Last edited:

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Synthetic oil has a lot of amazing properties that allow an engine to run even if removed...not forever but certainly a fair amount of time. You can certainly run for about 5-10 minutes and not have a significant issue. Also depends on idle or load, etc. Now if you were on a 30 minute drive, that's probably really bad and some damage was certainly done.

That said, 100%/no chance the oil filter gasket would have been compromised and there wasn't a ton of oil all over the engine and transmission that would have dripped all over the place. The only way is when you came to that one location and the light came on, the oil would have had to dump out within seconds. Even then, you'll have oil everywhere.

I suspect they forgot to fill the engine or maybe just a quart or two was present. I would press them on how clean your driveway is and then set the expectations. Yelling does nothing but seeing the Service Manager and/or GM would be first stop to getting to right.

1. Definitely need an oil analysis.

2. 100% extended warranty coverage for the engine for anything oil related failure in the future, no compromise here. Unless they tear down the engine, best you'll know is some wear for an oil analysis. So it's either a new motor (highly unlikely) or warranty (very likely).

3. Free oil changes (at least three).

If they aren't willing to do all of these things, you're going to need to see a lawyer and just remember you'll bear the initial costs until the case traverses the system. Avoid this if all possible but you clearly have a case IMO (I've watched a lot of YouTube legal videos). That's humor before anyone gets spun up :)

Take pictures of your driveway, underside of the jeep, and pull a sample of oil ASAP regardless of the path you take. It will be apparent if the jeep was cleaned or there's no real trace of oil blown all over the place.

If the dealership screwed up (it happens) and you're reasonable, I think they get to right pretty easy. If not, do what you need to do.

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Any updates to the situation?

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
All the oil CANNOT leak out of your Jeep without there being evidence somewhere on the underside of the vehicle. I had an oil change at a non-dealership one time and the tech apparently didn't put an oil on the filter gasket. I started smelling burning oil and thought it was another car. Then I realized it was coming from my Jeep. The little ridge in the oil filter had torn when the tech tight the filter down. (older Jeep) It was fine on the drive home, there was no oil on my garage floor. It made such a mess on the underside of the Jeep the shop took the Jeep an pressure washed the underside of the Jeep. It was a mess...

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
As others have said, losing all your Jeep's oil in such a short space should leave an obvious pool or trail that should be easy to see. Since you drive a familiar route, if you can't find it, they're lying to you.

For everyone saying the dealership owes you a new engine... do you really want the idiots who couldn't remember to put oil in your engine as part of an oil change to do a complete engine swap???

Sponsored

Northernlites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Retired
I had a classmate in Vo-Tech (auto repair) back in 1979 that was hired at Sears Auto Service Center as a lube technician after we graduated. His very first oil change was a new Cadillac. Couple hours later the Cadillac came back in on a flatbed tow truck. Guess what he forgot to do? Sears paid for a new Cadillac motor and my classmate got fired. Sh*t happens!

Omen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys 2.0
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Manager
Another Jeep oil change thread. You think people would stop going to Jeep dealers for an oil change. Jeeps are for the enthusiast. Enthusiasts change their own oil and take pride in it.
While I agree with the sentiment that Jeep owners are *usually* enthusiasts, there are some places in this country that make getting rid of used engine oil more difficult than it needs to be. I live in such a place and it is just easier to have my dealer change the oil and responsibly deal with the waste. Used tires are even worse around here. Oil, coolant, and tires just have to get handled elsewhere. Some of the easiest stuff to do, but the hardest to clean up.

With all of that being said, do I need to turn in my Jeep enthusiast card?šŸ˜

Omen

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I literally can't believe they let the vehicle leave the service department having drained the oil, but likely failing to add new oil. They sent the technician this morning with 6 quarts of oil and it still wasn't full. There was not a drop of oil in the engine.

I'm concerned as to what damage I have done in that 6-7 miles of driving with zero oil.
I thought these engines only took 5 quarts now? How'd they put 6 quarts in and still not show full on the dipstick? Would seem like they don't know anything about this vehicle if they sent the guy out to put in 6 quarts...