Sponsored

HELP PLS!!!! Jeep Service Center returned my JLU with NO OIL after routine oil change.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In the hundreds of oil changes I've done, I've never had this happen, and I've never heard of it happening. I would still not expect it to leak out at the rate the dealer is trying to tell him it did, that was my general point.
OB, it can happen. I've read numerous accounts of it. But like you, I've never had it happen to me. But then, I wipe down the engine gasket surface before installing a new filter.

But more specifically to the point of this conversation, no, it cannot happen on a JL with a cartridge type filter that goes into a housing.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
I took my Wrangler for a routine oil change yesterday. Dropped the Jeep at 8am, was called at 3pm to say it was ready to collect. About 3 miles after collecting the Jeep (was actually very nicely cleaned for me free of charge), the low oil pressure light came on. I picked my daughter up from school and drove home while trying to call the dealer - of course it was after 5pm by then and no one answered. Obvious thought was that there was low oil - they'd failed to top it off properly. No apparent leaks under the car.

I limped home - about 5 miles from where I picked up my daughter and parked my car. The oil dipstick was completely dry!

I called the dealer first thing this morning and they sent out a technician.

ZERO oil in the engine.

After a day reviewing the situation, they are claiming that there was a leak in the oil gasket and that the engine had dumped all it's oil during the first mile or so after I picked up the Jeep.

Something doesn't add up to me.

There was no smoke coming from the engine, no apparent leak when I stopped to collect my daughter after driving about 2 miles from the dealer. Where could the oil have gone??? Could the engine really have let go of 6 quarts of oil without any obvious signs from the driver's seat??

They say that there's "no lasting damage to the engine" but none of this really adds up to me.

Any thoughts? My JLU is 3 years old but "was" in immaculate condition, having only done 8600 miles.

Not sure what to do...
Contact a lawyer, he can hire a forensic engineer to review the engine issue, dont touch anything, you obviously had oil in it when you dropped it off.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
No it isn't. Not if you want things done right. It took 3 years for dealers to learn these motors take 5 quarts not six. And many still do it wrong. People think it's a good idea because the dealership might spot some other issue...really? Some 18 year old lot jockey? This is a perfect example of why you don't. Most can't even put the right amount of air in the tires.
This, This, This ^^^^^

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Say it again, there's no F'n way you lost 5-6 qts of oil in a 6 mile run without having any oil residue on your Jeep, it would be spattered on quite a large area if the leak was that severe. Not sure how far into the pan the dipstick reaches but I'm guessing there's still at least 3 qts in the motor when the dipstick shows dry. If you didn't notice any noises, clunks etc the Jeep may have been severely under-filled, maybe the tech got a text from his girlfriend, got distracted, pulled away from the job and just didn't complete the fill. That seems the most logical scenario to me, much more logical than dumping 5-6 qts of oil that magically left no trace. And a Jeep running w/ no oil that still runs & sounds like it's got oil, that's also a stretch.
At any rate hope this gets handled, and if you get back to a happy place w/ this, NEVER go to a dealer to change the oil.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'm feeling the need for some reason, to come to the defense of dealers and oil changes. There are a whole lot of mechanics that work at dealers that are competent. Many of them are far more capable and have more experience than a decent portion of this group.

Granted the oil changer is likely a rookie but a good service department manager would have this under control. I personally haven't experienced blatant misconduct but I tend to DIY or go to a local mechanic where I have a built a better relationship.

What I find with dealer shops is they are bound by very rigid protocols and have to follow a 'script'. Good dealers work to please their customers... whether it be sales or service.

Some mechanics that 'get it' and have the gumption, move to an independent shop and thus have more say in the matter.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The whole back of the bumper, spare tire, inboard sides of rear tires and God knows half the underside, would be coated with oil, IF, it had draIned during a drive of any speed over about 10 mph. I speak from first hand experience.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I guess the filter housing could have been cracked by being cross threaded or too heavy a hand. The oil would dump into the engine valley. Still, should be able to smell it and see a drip that looks like a bad rear main seal.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Not sure what to do next.
Sounds like you're going to have to sue them.

Or you can review what the NY DMV can do here. https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/know-your-rights-auto-repair
Since DMV licenses shops in NY, the threat of losing their license to operate should get a reaction.

Seems like following the process with DMV and getting an attorney to write a letter stating exactly what restitution you are seeking is a reasonable path. So, that would require you to decide what you want from them.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I guess the filter housing could have been cracked by being cross threaded or too heavy a hand. The oil would dump into the engine valley. Still, should be able to smell it and see a drip that looks like a bad rear main seal.
There would have been a smoke plume seen on Google Earth.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Synthetic oil has a lot of amazing properties that allow an engine to run even if removed...not forever but certainly a fair amount of time. You can certainly run for about 5-10 minutes and not have a significant issue. Also depends on idle or load, etc. Now if you were on a 30 minute drive, that's probably really bad and some damage was certainly done.

That said, 100%/no chance the oil filter gasket would have been compromised and there wasn't a ton of oil all over the engine and transmission that would have dripped all over the place. The only way is when you came to that one location and the light came on, the oil would have had to dump out within seconds. Even then, you'll have oil everywhere.

I suspect they forgot to fill the engine or maybe just a quart or two was present. I would press them on how clean your driveway is and then set the expectations. Yelling does nothing but seeing the Service Manager and/or GM would be first stop to getting to right.

1. Definitely need an oil analysis.

2. 100% extended warranty coverage for the engine for anything oil related failure in the future, no compromise here. Unless they tear down the engine, best you'll know is some wear for an oil analysis. So it's either a new motor (highly unlikely) or warranty (very likely).

3. Free oil changes (at least three).

If they aren't willing to do all of these things, you're going to need to see a lawyer and just remember you'll bear the initial costs until the case traverses the system. Avoid this if all possible but you clearly have a case IMO (I've watched a lot of YouTube legal videos). That's humor before anyone gets spun up :)

Take pictures of your driveway, underside of the jeep, and pull a sample of oil ASAP regardless of the path you take. It will be apparent if the jeep was cleaned or there's no real trace of oil blown all over the place.

If the dealership screwed up (it happens) and you're reasonable, I think they get to right pretty easy. If not, do what you need to do.
Are you actually suggesting that the OP goes back to these people for more oil changes?

[emphasis added by me]

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURXR Tuscadero, 2023 JLURXR Reign
If they have a camera in their repair area, they could check the video to see if they forgot to refill the oil - which they should for insurance purposes - and likely already have given the situation.

Chances are that the tech got distracted while doing your oil change and simply just forgot to refill the oil. End of shift / other vehicles to work on at the same time / inexperienced tech - anything could’ve happened to lead to this… but regardless, they own it. Ask about the video. 🤷‍♂️
I’d ask to see the oil puddle of it leaving the shop. Furthermore, wouldn’t they have noticed a giant leaking puddle?
Sponsored