Sponsored

HELP PLS!!!! Jeep Service Center returned my JLU with NO OIL after routine oil change.

Senator71

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I took my Wrangler for a routine oil change yesterday. Dropped the Jeep at 8am, was called at 3pm to say it was ready to collect. About 3 miles after collecting the Jeep (was actually very nicely cleaned for me free of charge), the low oil pressure light came on. I picked my daughter up from school and drove home while trying to call the dealer - of course it was after 5pm by then and no one answered. Obvious thought was that there was low oil - they'd failed to top it off properly. No apparent leaks under the car.

I limped home - about 5 miles from where I picked up my daughter and parked my car. The oil dipstick was completely dry!

I called the dealer first thing this morning and they sent out a technician.

ZERO oil in the engine.

After a day reviewing the situation, they are claiming that there was a leak in the oil gasket and that the engine had dumped all it's oil during the first mile or so after I picked up the Jeep.

Something doesn't add up to me.

There was no smoke coming from the engine, no apparent leak when I stopped to collect my daughter after driving about 2 miles from the dealer. Where could the oil have gone??? Could the engine really have let go of 6 quarts of oil without any obvious signs from the driver's seat??

They say that there's "no lasting damage to the engine" but none of this really adds up to me.

Any thoughts? My JLU is 3 years old but "was" in immaculate condition, having only done 8600 miles.

Not sure what to do...
Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
It’s miserably apparent the dealership was the last one to touch it.

With that being said......dealerships can file a claim on their own insurance....or eat the engine replacement.

You say there was no oil leak....dealership says there was one. This is proof you’re gonna be involved in an uphill battle....IMO.

Push this horrible experience up to the General Manager....and the owner of the franchise.

What engine is in your Jeep?

Good luck.....

OP
OP
Senator71

Senator71

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I literally can't believe they let the vehicle leave the service department having drained the oil, but likely failing to add new oil. They sent the technician this morning with 6 quarts of oil and it still wasn't full. There was not a drop of oil in the engine.

I'm concerned as to what damage I have done in that 6-7 miles of driving with zero oil.

Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I agree with the OP on this one
Seems very odd to me too, you bring the car in for service and it’s obviously not leaking or I’m sure the tech working on it would have noticed the oil marks and leaking area when vehicle was on the lift for service, but he leaves the dealer to only drive a few miles and didn’t notice anything? I would go back and trace your route and see if you find any sign of an oil puddle at the school where you stopped or possibly a trail of oil underneath the jeep if you’re driving and leaking oil it should get splashed across your bottom of vehicle if it leaked out 6 quarts in a few miles, def worth checking, I don’t know about the dealer reputation but I wouldn’t trust them without any evidence to back up their claims in my opinion, keep us posted! Hope you get this resolved

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
First mistake was having a dealer do an oil change. Almost no one wants the dealer oil change.

When the product is free, you're the product.

Pretty sure I'd trade the rig in and get a new one.

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
what oil gasket? there are many to choose from....I can believe they button it up and forget to fill - but if there is a gasket leak that can dump 6 qts within a mile - you could easily find the oil leak on the street and your jeep AND if you fill the engine again - even though there may be internal damage - it would pour out of the gasket without the engine on with a leak that severe- I call bs.....

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Another slimy dealership not taking responsibility for their screw up. You should elevate this to the GM or higher. You are owed something, preferably a new engine on their dime.

I could be making this up, but I'm pretty certain there was a post recently where someone went in for an oil change and ended up with 10 quarts in the engine. The joke was some poor soul left the dealership with no oil. Well that poor soul was you.

Side note, I thought the JL only took 5 quarts. Does it depend on the engine?

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
if there is a gasket leak that can dump 6 qts within a mile - you could easily find the oil leak on the street
That much leak it would be all over the dealer's service bay, the dealer's lot, the underside of the jeep, etc. And if they work on it and there is a gasket that fails and leaks that much, it's on them or it's a warranty situation.
But I agree don't take the Jeep to the dealer for an oil change.

Justmefor23

First Name
Whatever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
I took my Wrangler for a routine oil change yesterday. Dropped the Jeep at 8am, was called at 3pm to say it was ready to collect. About 3 miles after collecting the Jeep (was actually very nicely cleaned for me free of charge), the low oil pressure light came on. I picked my daughter up from school and drove home while trying to call the dealer - of course it was after 5pm by then and no one answered. Obvious thought was that there was low oil - they'd failed to top it off properly. No apparent leaks under the car.

I limped home - about 5 miles from where I picked up my daughter and parked my car. The oil dipstick was completely dry!

I called the dealer first thing this morning and they sent out a technician.

ZERO oil in the engine.

After a day reviewing the situation, they are claiming that there was a leak in the oil gasket and that the engine had dumped all it's oil during the first mile or so after I picked up the Jeep.

Something doesn't add up to me.

There was no smoke coming from the engine, no apparent leak when I stopped to collect my daughter after driving about 2 miles from the dealer. Where could the oil have gone??? Could the engine really have let go of 6 quarts of oil without any obvious signs from the driver's seat??

They say that there's "no lasting damage to the engine" but none of this really adds up to me.

Any thoughts? My JLU is 3 years old but "was" in immaculate condition, having only done 8600 miles.

Not sure what to do...
If 6 quarts of oil leaked while you were driving it would be all over the underside. It doesn’t fall straight down, it blows all down the frame. It would have been very obvious. If the underside was clean they screwed up.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
what oil gasket? there are many to choose from....I can believe they button it up and forget to fill - but if there is a gasket leak that can dump 6 qts within a mile - you could easily find the oil leak on the street and your jeep AND if you fill the engine again - even though there may be internal damage - it would pour out of the gasket without the engine on with a leak that severe- I call bs.....
How could any gasket fail that dumped that much oil that quickly not have oil spewed and blown all over including hot exhaust creating mass smoke and smell?? 3X experience. Edit— also a large trail of oil from the gasket fail to the side of the road.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
If they have a camera in their repair area, they could check the video to see if they forgot to refill the oil - which they should for insurance purposes - and likely already have given the situation.

Chances are that the tech got distracted while doing your oil change and simply just forgot to refill the oil. End of shift / other vehicles to work on at the same time / inexperienced tech - anything could’ve happened to lead to this… but regardless, they own it. Ask about the video. 🤷‍♂️