Sponsored

Help please. Has anyone heard of the company “DTO Customs” based in Virginia?

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, but the OP is obviously inexperienced and needs advice from those more savvy on a high $$$ transaction. We've all been there...
Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure that there are much better financial advice avenues found online rather than a Wrangler forum as evidenced by some of the bad suggestions in this thread.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Why would a business want to buy your used crap? How do you know for sure its DTO you're talking to? Have you called them or is it only "them" calling you? Their website says nothing about using 2nd hand parts in their dream builds. They're even making parts they need. Call them and offer to bring it by on a day they're open & they can give you a check for it then.

"Our custom shop can do it all. From lifts and exterior upgrades, fabrications, custom gearing, and literally every upgrade option for wheels, lift kits, tires, winches, LED conversions, custom tops, body armor, custom paint and everything in between."
Exactly what I was gonna say. How do you know it is DTO. Take it into their shop. Call them and ask them.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
I could really use some sound judgement or even the slightest inclination that I won’t get burnt.

So I have my 4.5” RK long arm coil over kit posted for sale. On here, as well as Facebook Marketplace.

long story short obviously cash is king.

they are the first people (or rather company) in this instance who has shown true interest in wanting to buy this set up rather than just kicking tires.

they are wanting to come and buy the set up off of me either this upcoming Sunday or next Sunday at the latest.

Great news.

except, they are telling me they cannot do cash, and can only write a check. Being it would be a business check and would be issued from the company.

it sounds great, and under any other circumstances I would not think otherwise.

but they are wanting to write me a $6,500 check for the kit. Not cash. And they seem like a legit business, I’ve went on their website etc, but sadly the world is corrupt now a days, and I wouldn’t be getting burnt on a couple hundred bucks and chalk it up as a loss worse come to worse, but rather $6,500 (the amount I have it listed for on Marketplace)..

Has any members on our forum done business with them directly being their custom shop or their dealership and can kind of ease my well justified weariness on this deal I have going on?

many input would be great..

thanks guys
-Nathan
i passed by them a couple of times, seems like a legit business with some nice inventory.That is all i can say.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Well that’s the thing, what could I “with-hold” from them until my money was guaranteed, in my bank, and no possible issues to occur?, I simply have the lift sitting on a pallet in my garage.
Sure I have purchase receipts,

but I’m seeing people mention cashiers check, but forgive me for maybe not being 100% knowledgeable on the ordeal, but how is a cashiers check more secure or secure in general versus a business issued check?.

and ultimately I truly appreciate every last one of your guys input, and knowledge on this going on right now, and ultimately I have to make a decision, but my biggest thing is, I’ve had a few “bites” on the listing, and tire kickers, as I had it posted a few months back, but nothing solid. Granted, I had it posted for $7,500, but even then, that was a STEAL of a price I had it listed for.

I have it listed here cheaper than what I have it posted for on Marketplace (only$500 cheaper), but still, my biggest thing is I don’t want to miss out on this opportunity when I don’t NEED the cash,

But ok plain and simple, my wife and I are renting where we live. We are having “slight” issues with the landlord. I don’t NEED to move. Not to be biased, or cocky TRULY, because I’m sure there are freaking millionaires on this forum, or those who make well over $250k a year and what I’m making is chump change, but for once in my life I’m finally doing “well” for myself, from making not even $10-15k a year as a cook a few years back. To finally making over 6 figures, stable, very generous career, etc. and things are good.

but it’s at the point now at 28 years old, I’d like to buy my first home, don’t have “quite” enough down payment for the range of-first home I’d like to buy, and there are a few promising homes in the area of im looking close to work, that I don’t NEED the money off the kit, but I also don’t want to drain my savings completely on a down payment, and I also don’t want to take a loan against myself on my 401k either.

And weighing apples to oranges, the kit? I would LOVE to put it on my rig. I’d LOVE to take her out to Moab next year. Etc etc. but I also would like to have a home, build equity, and do it “right” if you would. And if I still want to have this type of kit later on down the road after establishing equity, and having assets that aren’t degrading, then go from there.

so for me to sell the kit as stated isn’t “vital” per say, but would definitely be nice going forward into purchasing a house, from all the research I’m doing about unforeseen costs, and shit, life is life, excuse my French, but I just don’t want to be in a spot.

very unprofessional and some might say immature which is 100% right me exposing why I’m kinda desperate into my reasonings as not wanting to “pass up” this opportunity, but no family to ask their opinions too, and just figured anyone on here might have some sound judgement possibly even hearing of this company, dealing with them directly, etc.

ultimately, rambling aside, I don’t want to pass up on this offer in getting, and end up regretting it months or a year down the road ultimately breaking even or taking less all because I was sketched out by something that I had no reason to worry about in the first place…
Sell the kit. Buy a house. And take the Jeep to Moab. You dont need fancy lift kits to go offroading.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Many counterfeit bills are easy to spot if you look real quick. You can report counterfeit currency to your police department, they will write up a report, take the money and then send it to the USSS (who used to actually investigate under certain circumstances).
Personally, I wouldn’t be able to look quickly enough at numerous $100 bills and their authenticity. Additionally, it still leaves the seller short of actual funds owed. Ergo, my strong preference for cashless transactions that are easily verified but that’s just me. To each his/her own.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Why would a business want to buy your used crap? How do you know for sure its DTO you're talking to? Have you called them or is it only "them" calling you? Their website says nothing about using 2nd hand parts in their dream builds. They're even making parts they need. Call them and offer to bring it by on a day they're open & they can give you a check for it then.

"Our custom shop can do it all. From lifts and exterior upgrades, fabrications, custom gearing, and literally every upgrade option for wheels, lift kits, tires, winches, LED conversions, custom tops, body armor, custom paint and everything in between."
Only read the first page, but this is what I was thinking. Someone pretends to be with the company, only does business on Sunday so it can't be verified, pays with fake check. And I also agree that a shop wouldn't be buying used kits from random people - shops get their parts as directly form the manufacturers that they can get.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Another quick though - why not take the kit to the dealer? I'd probably have no issue accepting a check if I went into the dealer and their accountant cut my a check and PO.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I could really use some sound judgement or even the slightest inclination that I won’t get burnt.

So I have my 4.5” RK long arm coil over kit posted for sale. On here, as well as Facebook Marketplace.

long story short obviously cash is king.

they are the first people (or rather company) in this instance who has shown true interest in wanting to buy this set up rather than just kicking tires.

they are wanting to come and buy the set up off of me either this upcoming Sunday or next Sunday at the latest.

Great news.

except, they are telling me they cannot do cash, and can only write a check. Being it would be a business check and would be issued from the company.

it sounds great, and under any other circumstances I would not think otherwise.

but they are wanting to write me a $6,500 check for the kit. Not cash. And they seem like a legit business, I’ve went on their website etc, but sadly the world is corrupt now a days, and I wouldn’t be getting burnt on a couple hundred bucks and chalk it up as a loss worse come to worse, but rather $6,500 (the amount I have it listed for on Marketplace)..

Has any members on our forum done business with them directly being their custom shop or their dealership and can kind of ease my well justified weariness on this deal I have going on?

many input would be great..

thanks guys
-Nathan
If you are on here questioning…I think you already know your answer. I’d say if you‘re the slightest bit uncomfortable with the transaction then walk away. Another buyer will come along.

jmc2999

First Name
JoJo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe
The bank will immediately know if it's a good check, but will hold it to make sure there's not a lot of additional pulls on the account. If the buyer thinks it's a good deal, they'll wait for delivery or even give you a bump to deliver. Don't get too caught up in the deal.
this is false. a bank will not immediately know if another banks check is good.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Only read the first page, but this is what I was thinking. Someone pretends to be with the company, only does business on Sunday so it can't be verified, pays with fake check. And I also agree that a shop wouldn't be buying used kits from random people - shops get their parts as directly form the manufacturers that they can get.
some info you missed, it’s new in the box not used, and the place is about 4 hours away from him. I probably would drive that for a $6500 deal.

Sponsored

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
That was my initial thought, then speaking to my wife, she thought possibly otherwise
Tell them you will bring it to them at their dealership/business office and do the transaction there. Deposit the check electronically from your phone at the dealership so you have a record of the time of the deposit as well. If it all goes south, it's not unlike any other business transaction. But at least you'd know it's them and not someone else. Having a hard time believing that DTO would want your used stuff though...I dunno. Lots of scams out there.

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
It isn’t a used kit. That’s what I’m saying. It’s New in Box.

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Strange to see a thread asking if anyone heard of DTO customs when you can literally google them and see hundreds of reviews and a wide online presence. A 4 page thread could have been condensed to a no page thread if you communicated actively directly with DTO customs.
Incorrect. “Funny” being there are solid people on here that I trust. And solid people on here that have good reputations. Anyone can make an account / Google reviews etc. no need to bash here man, goodness, if you don’t like my reach out for some advice please take your negativity elsewhere

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Generally good suggestion but not necessarily true. PayPal is not a safe and guaranteed payment method. Corporate IT payment processing expert here. Check Paypal's policies or view this article for a brief summary:
Paypal Holds

If the seller has unusual activity, Paypal can hold funds for up to 30 days. If the buyer is un-verified, Paypal will hold the funds if sourced from a bank account until the funds clear. That generally takes 3-5 business days but could take up to 10 with smaller banks. Even then, once the funds are transferred, it is very easy to dispute/reverse the transaction via Paypal and very easy for a buyer to win the dispute even with proof on the seller's part. I have first hand experience with many companies on this. Just check Paypal's & other forums to see how many angry sellers there are out there. (Also, side note, many card issuers do not offer chargeback protection via the card/bank if Paypal was used as the payment method. The chargeback has to go through there.)

Other posters have already hit the mark: after independently calling the business to verify the request for purchase, go with a cashier's check. Of course, you still need to know that the cashier's check is genuine, so it's best to transact on a business day, but having already called the business, you mitigate that risk.
Ok thank you. I’m waiting on them at the moment, I’m actually going to try to sort all of this out with the gentleman I have been speaking too, who is apparently one of the Salesman / partners.

honestly you guys are lifesavers..thank you
Sponsored