Sponsored

Help please. Has anyone heard of the company “DTO Customs” based in Virginia?

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
I could really use some sound judgement or even the slightest inclination that I won’t get burnt.

So I have my 4.5” RK long arm coil over kit posted for sale. On here, as well as Facebook Marketplace.

long story short obviously cash is king.

they are the first people (or rather company) in this instance who has shown true interest in wanting to buy this set up rather than just kicking tires.

they are wanting to come and buy the set up off of me either this upcoming Sunday or next Sunday at the latest.

Great news.

except, they are telling me they cannot do cash, and can only write a check. Being it would be a business check and would be issued from the company.

it sounds great, and under any other circumstances I would not think otherwise.

but they are wanting to write me a $6,500 check for the kit. Not cash. And they seem like a legit business, I’ve went on their website etc, but sadly the world is corrupt now a days, and I wouldn’t be getting burnt on a couple hundred bucks and chalk it up as a loss worse come to worse, but rather $6,500 (the amount I have it listed for on Marketplace)..

Has any members on our forum done business with them directly being their custom shop or their dealership and can kind of ease my well justified weariness on this deal I have going on?

many input would be great..

thanks guys
-Nathan
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Izzo93
The company's website passes the sniff test, so there's that.

$6.5K is a lot of lucre to hand over to a private seller, so I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the idea that a business would want to use a check as a matter of course. It's up to you if you want to hold the line for a cash buyer only.

Here's what I did a few years ago when purchasing a used motorcycle trailer from a seller in Virginia:
  • The seller delivered it to my door (coincidentally, he was in the area to purchase a replacement trailer.)
  • I took physical possession of the trailer and gave the seller a personal check.
  • When the check cleared and the funds were deposited in the seller's bank acct., he mailed the trailer's hardcopy title to me as previously agreed upon. I in turn took the signed title to AAA, who mailed it to PENNDOT so that they could issue a PA title directly to me.

Done and done.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Typical scam. They will cut two checks for way more than you asked. Then say they made a mistake. For you to deposit the check and immediately send them back the difference. Don't give them your mail address or phone number

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Legit businesses typically like to use checks, or business only credit cards, for tax and accounting purposes. As others have said, it is a legit business. In the whole scheme of things, for a business like that, $6500 is chump change.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Hide an Apple airtag into kit you sell so you can track them down if they stiff you. And maybe demand a cashiers check, with point of sale occurring at your bank on a Saturday.

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Why would a business want to buy your used crap? How do you know for sure its DTO you're talking to? Have you called them or is it only "them" calling you? Their website says nothing about using 2nd hand parts in their dream builds. They're even making parts they need. Call them and offer to bring it by on a day they're open & they can give you a check for it then.

"Our custom shop can do it all. From lifts and exterior upgrades, fabrications, custom gearing, and literally every upgrade option for wheels, lift kits, tires, winches, LED conversions, custom tops, body armor, custom paint and everything in between."

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Ask them to use Paypal and the funds are transferred within a minute or two.

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds sketchy if they only want to do business on a Sunday (banks closed).
That thought never even crossed my mind..

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’d say “no deal” unless you bring cash.
That was my initial thought, then speaking to my wife, she thought possibly otherwise
Sponsored