Sponsored

Help please. Has anyone heard of the company “DTO Customs” based in Virginia?

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
Great advice so far, to me bottom line:

First step: Verify you are actually dealing with DTO...look their contact info up online. Send them an email verifying the sale is with them not somebody pretending to be them (use their business email, not a personal email)...it is posted on their site, just checked. Get a reply back from their business email confirming the deal. Then call them back at their online posted phone number (not a number provided in the email) and talk to somebody reconfirming. This does two things for you, the email with their business email establishes a documentation chain and the phone call overcomes the very slight potential that their business email has been compromised.

Second step: As long as first step checks out...Ask for payment as a cashiers check, money order, or if you're comfortable, business check.

Third step: Do the deal (at you local LE shop is a great idea for location)...but insist on a photo showing them taking possession and make sure the sale is documented with some type of a bill of sale.

This process will have the highest chance of (1) confirming you are actually dealing with the business and (2) making sure you have legal recourse if the business is trying to cheat you.

my 2 cents
Wow. I mean this is literally a sales guide to idiocracy as some would call it for me.

I mean I believe this is the route I legitimately will be doing step by step. I’ve reached out via email today and just waiting to go from here.

thank you so much man
Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Why would a business want to buy your used crap? How do you know for sure its DTO you're talking to? Have you called them or is it only "them" calling you? Their website says nothing about using 2nd hand parts in their dream builds. They're even making parts they need. Call them and offer to bring it by on a day they're open & they can give you a check for it then.

"Our custom shop can do it all. From lifts and exterior upgrades, fabrications, custom gearing, and literally every upgrade option for wheels, lift kits, tires, winches, LED conversions, custom tops, body armor, custom paint and everything in between."
This. What legitimate company is buying second hand parts to in turn sell to their customers as “new”? Also, the whole Sunday sale thing sounds sketchy. I’d say cash talks. If they really want it and it’s a legit deal THEY can cash their own check and give you real money…beware.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
@Izzo93
The company's website passes the sniff test, so there's that.

$6.5K is a lot of lucre to hand over to a private seller, so I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the idea that a business would want to use a check as a matter of course. It's up to you if you want to hold the line for a cash buyer only.

Here's what I did a few years ago when purchasing a used motorcycle trailer from a seller in Virginia:
  • The seller delivered it to my door (coincidentally, he was in the area to purchase a replacement trailer.)
  • I took physical possession of the trailer and gave the seller a personal check.
  • When the check cleared and the funds were deposited in the seller's bank acct., he mailed the trailer's hardcopy title to me as previously agreed upon. I in turn took the signed title to AAA, who mailed it to PENNDOT so that they could issue a PA title directly to me.

Done and done.
Shudders at the thought of registering anything in PA and notary for anything you need signed. (PA boy born and raised)

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
This. What legitimate company is buying second hand parts to in turn sell to their customers as “new”? Also, the whole Sunday sale thing sounds sketchy. I’d say cash talks. If they really want it and it’s a legit deal THEY can cash their own check and give you real money…beware.
what part of NEW IN THE BOX do so many of y9ou fail to comprehend? it has been stated several times, yet everyone wants to criticize a dealer for buying used parts.

I sold a tailgate for my super duty to a body shop for $3K when they got quotes from their local dealers for upwards of 7K..with significant delays...and the tailgate was used

Sponsored

ekometti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge 392, 2015 Cayenne S
DTO is kinda near me, they are a legit business, if not somewhat unusual for the area. They have been around at least a few years (maybe much longer) and keep a lot full of very glammed up Jeeps. Nothing really built for use, but lots of 20” wheels, low-end exterior kit and lifts. More power to ‘em if they’re turning a good business. Many or perhaps most of their Jeeps have mileage, not new. It’s an interesting model, unique for the area. No doubt they have a steady stream of customers.

They are absolutely a business that would be interested in buying a pre-owned lift kit.

wish I could give you more on their reputation, but I don’t really know it. At least they are not notorious or spoken of in curses; if they were terrible I think I’d have heard of it.

I would call their main line and make sure you’re dealing with who you think you are. If You’re truly dealing with DTO, I wouldn’t worry too much about taking their check. But I’d press for cash, it’s king.
They are also owned by country chevrolet. Country has a dealer in Warrenton, not sure where else.

CaliJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Rubicon Past: 2016 C300, 2018 JLU Sport S
Call your local escrow company and tell ask them how much they would charge for this transaction (should be less than $200). Once escrow is open, Tell the buyer to send the check to escrow. Escrow deposits the check into their trust account and tells you it’s cleared. They come grab the kit, sign a buy sheet and you both tell escrow deal is done. escrow gives you a check.

Btw I never knew how cash adverse this forum is lol I keep 10 stacks available all the time

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I could really use some sound judgement or even the slightest inclination that I won’t get burnt.
-Nathan
I'm a little late to this soiree, but maybe I can help.... I sell guns on the internet, and some are quite expensive. Like this one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/914498770

And believe it or not, I accept personal checks. Standard operating procedure is for me to hold the check until it clears. No exceptions. I ship the gun when the check clears.

In your case, you'd hold the kit until the check clears. They can pick it up when it does. Any logistics issues are his problem. This is typical for $$$ transactions involving checks. If the buyer is legit he knows this, and he won't blink an eye. If he balks, tell him if he doesn't like it, bring cash, and you'll write him a receipt.

Sponsored

JokerCA

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
how about using Zelle?...
The problem with any P2P service is the monetary limits they place on the transferring party. Majority have a daily/monthly/6 month etc threshold. From there, it also comes down to the willingness of said party (in this case the business) to utilize a P2P service. With that being said, the majority of Financial Institutions online/mobile banking platform has some type of P2P service. Seller could always ask who the buyer uses as another option.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
this is false. a bank will not immediately know if another banks check is good.
You didn't read the thread and you are quoting the last of a three comment conversation within it. The advice was to call their bank and branch. You are correct another bank would not know, you have to call the issuing bank. Best to have all the information—

Last edited:

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Incorrect. “Funny” being there are solid people on here that I trust. And solid people on here that have good reputations. Anyone can make an account / Google reviews etc. no need to bash here man, goodness, if you don’t like my reach out for some advice please take your negativity elsewhere
There is a difference between someone making an account for a handful of reviews and finding a real online presence. DTO has 165 Google Reviews, a Facebook page (over 100 votes), Autotrader (over 250 reviews), an Instagram page and sells their trucks here: https://www.countryautostores.com/dto-customs.aspx
But yea, has anyone ELSE heard of "DTO Customs"?! :CWL:
Sponsored