Sponsored

Help please. Has anyone heard of the company “DTO Customs” based in Virginia?

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
I’d 100% give them a call to make better arrangements.
As in me delivering it personally? Rather than them coming and picking it up? It is a ‘bit’ of a drive, being 4 hours away. But not unrealistically far. Not to sound naïve, but would would the more comforting aspect me to drive down there versus them coming to me?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ask them to use Paypal and the funds are transferred within a minute or two.
They way I understood it, is they would only want to issue a company / corporate/ issued check for accounting purposes?

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If your local LE agency is friendly, try this:

http://www.safetradestations.com

You can call your local LE agencies station, arrange to do the deal in person at the station with an officer present - a scammer would probably think twice about it. But still no 100% guarantee you won't get burned by a bad check which will still be a PITA to deal with all-in-all.

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Why would a business want to buy your used crap? How do you know for sure its DTO you're talking to? Have you called them or is it only "them" calling you? Their website says nothing about using 2nd hand parts in their dream builds. They're even making parts they need. Call them and offer to bring it by on a day they're open & they can give you a check for it then.

"Our custom shop can do it all. From lifts and exterior upgrades, fabrications, custom gearing, and literally every upgrade option for wheels, lift kits, tires, winches, LED conversions, custom tops, body armor, custom paint and everything in between."
Well first, it isn’t used. It’s new in the box. And the kit I’m selling literally is cheaper than what RK wholesales to like Quad, or NR, or Morris etc. and they explained to me their builds were mainly mall crawlers, and just show builds, and they were wanting to reach out and try a new platform hitting Moab etc. hence wanting to go this route on a more competitive build and actually utilize a rig not just for show.
But yes I’m with you 100%. And as I mentioned in another response I’m truly not trying to sound naive though I am responding as if I completely were.
The kit I’m selling, and not for public knowledge nor does it really matter, but I’m not losing money on the kit. Not to get into logistics, but I got this kit for a complete STEAL. As stated I have all my receipts, all my paperwork, conversations with Maureen & Adam personally from RK, so this is a legit purchase on my end. Just the company I bought the kit from (not saying any names), was advertising the kit (from what I understand via directly from Maureen at RK), and we’re making sales on the side etc., and basically the company I purchased the kit from legally had to uphold their sell to me, hence I’m selling the kit for the amount it am. I am selling the kit, literally cheaper if not the same price that big wigs like NorthRidge, Quad, Morris, get for wholesale price but cheaper.
Again, personal reasons, and just going a different direction. I made the purchase, irrationally, and life at this moment, 2+2 = 4. So for me to sell this kit at the price I am, I’m not only making money (no offense but I’d rather not state how much I paid for it), but whoever was to buy it (The company were talking about in this thread), it’s a win win.

but yes you would think I’m an idiot for even considering a check rather than cash in hand, but at the same time, I’m reading other peoples input (for instance, they have seen the shop, or it’s a common thing for big business to want to pay that way), so I feel like I’m tied up in limbo.

I just don’t want to be that guy who gets bones out of what I originally paid for the kit, and now just completely SOL..

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If your local LE agency is friendly, try this:

http://www.safetradestations.com

You can call your local LE agencies station, arrange to do the deal in person at the station with an officer present - a scammer would probably think twice about it. But still no 100% guarantee you won't get burned by a bad check which will still be a PITA to deal with all-in-all.
Ok, I will look into this. I’ve never heard of something of this nature, but 100% will give it a go. And obviously I understand I would be paying the 3rd party for their services which I would be COMPLETELY down with, just to ensure this goes down legitimately, legally, and to ease my nerves which are going 1849273918 miles per minute right now.

Sponsored

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Their website does not look like a scam. They have a huge inventory on autotrader.com They are listed on their local Chamber of Commerce website. Look I do not know, not vouching for them.

I would call them to ask to speak with the person who is offering to purchase the parts, confirms they work there. Does this person write the check? If not, ask to speak with that person. Ask for the name and branch of the bank they use for the check they will bring. Call the bank Friday afternoon, (Saturday if they are open) and ask if their balance is sufficient to cover the $6,500 check. Usually, I like to meet at a branch of their bank and cash the check. Sunday fits with their posted work hours. @cavguy suggested a good local place to meet as well. Good luck—

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hide an Apple airtag into kit you sell so you can track them down if they stiff you. And maybe demand a cashiers check, with point of sale occurring at your bank on a Saturday.
Now if you don’t mind me asking, what would the apple air tag do? Again I’m not 100% tech savvy and not sure what benefits I would have to that. Also, say worse case scenario I went that route, and worse case scenario I got boned…
What action would I take then?

ultimately, I just want to get paid, and ultimately as stated it’s a win win for both parties. I get my money back, plus a nice chunk of change, and whoever (being the custom shop), gets the kit for a better price than they would even get wholesale.

This whole ordeal just has me beyond flustered

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Their website does not look like a scam. They have a huge inventory on autotrader.com They are listed on their local Chamber of Commerce website. Look I do not know, not vouching for them.

I would call them to ask to speak with the person who is offering to purchase the parts, confirms they work there. Does this person write the check? If not, ask to speak with that person. Ask for the name and branch of the bank they use for the check they will bring. Call the bank Friday afternoon, (Saturday if they are open) and ask if their balance is sufficient to cover the $6,500 check. Usually, I like to meet at a branch of their bank and cash the check. Sunday fits with their posted work hours.
Wow this is awesome to know as well. Are banks legally obligated to answer such questions, because even then this seems like a sufficient answer to or sort of calming aspect to what I’m reaching out to yins about

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Legit businesses typically like to use checks, or business only credit cards, for tax and accounting purposes. As others have said, it is a legit business. In the whole scheme of things, for a business like that, $6500 is chump change.
Which is one of the thoughts in my mind…but they are making it seem like they CANT do cash? Like legally can business not do that? Because side note even my company, I work for one of the biggest companies in the world (Marathon Petroleum), and I work in the Midstream Natural gas aspect of things. I mean hell, I know when we have company parties we have “petty cash” allotments but that’s even creditable for up to $5,000 / day. But then again, we have “p” cards. And the company “likes” to utilize purchases via our cards and tries not to use cash at all possible. BUT, we can still use cash worse case scenario and simply get reimbursed..

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I could really use some sound judgement or even the slightest inclination that I won’t get burnt.

So I have my 4.5” RK long arm coil over kit posted for sale. On here, as well as Facebook Marketplace.

long story short obviously cash is king.

they are the first people (or rather company) in this instance who has shown true interest in wanting to buy this set up rather than just kicking tires.

they are wanting to come and buy the set up off of me either this upcoming Sunday or next Sunday at the latest.

Great news.

except, they are telling me they cannot do cash, and can only write a check. Being it would be a business check and would be issued from the company.

it sounds great, and under any other circumstances I would not think otherwise.

but they are wanting to write me a $6,500 check for the kit. Not cash. And they seem like a legit business, I’ve went on their website etc, but sadly the world is corrupt now a days, and I wouldn’t be getting burnt on a couple hundred bucks and chalk it up as a loss worse come to worse, but rather $6,500 (the amount I have it listed for on Marketplace)..

Has any members on our forum done business with them directly being their custom shop or their dealership and can kind of ease my well justified weariness on this deal I have going on?

many input would be great..

thanks guys
-Nathan
As I IM'd you - request and only accept a cashiers check. A business can easily do this and you are safe.

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
DTO is kinda near me, they are a legit business, if not somewhat unusual for the area. They have been around at least a few years (maybe much longer) and keep a lot full of very glammed up Jeeps. Nothing really built for use, but lots of 20” wheels, low-end exterior kit and lifts. More power to ‘em if they’re turning a good business. Many or perhaps most of their Jeeps have mileage, not new. It’s an interesting model, unique for the area. No doubt they have a steady stream of customers.

They are absolutely a business that would be interested in buying a pre-owned lift kit.

wish I could give you more on their reputation, but I don’t really know it. At least they are not notorious or spoken of in curses; if they were terrible I think I’d have heard of it.

I would call their main line and make sure you’re dealing with who you think you are. If You’re truly dealing with DTO, I wouldn’t worry too much about taking their check. But I’d press for cash, it’s king.

Last edited:

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Wow this is awesome to know as well. Are banks legally obligated to answer such questions, because even then this seems like a sufficient answer to or sort of calming aspect to what I’m reaching out to yins about
Banks won't tell you the balance in an account, though I have never had one not answer the question: is the balance sufficient to cash the check I am receiving. I do not know if they are required to do so; they just always have for me. Paypal is another way to pay and receive payments these days with some recourse—

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Typical scam. They will cut two checks for way more than you asked. Then say they made a mistake. For you to deposit the check and immediately send them back the difference. Don't give them your mail address or phone number
That was my initial thought. Kind of why even though (other than this forum site I don’t use social media), I use my wife’s Facebook for Marketplace. Because Craigslist anymore is 90% nothing but scammers and “can I send you a money order or cashiers check, because my husband is overseas etc etc etc”, which I almost fell trap too a few years back flipping a car I rebuilt. Got a check mailed to me for more than what I was even asking, thank GOODNESS I didn’t try to cash the check, and I called the “bank” or if I recall tried looking it up and found nothing of the sort, and actually found a bank nearby the address that was on the check mailed, and they informed me that someone In that area was going around sending out checks (that looked 100% legit might j add, being i was in possession of one), that were issued from a bank that didn’t exist etc etc.

man’s that was instantly my first thought when they mentioned the word check.

but getting to talk to him and going on their website I felt a bit more content. But as most of us are taught growing up, go with your gut…

but I mean the iPhone the gentleman (Lane) has been calling and texting on, via my iPhone says it is verified. Mannnn this freaking is rediculous

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
for 6500 I feel like you should meet them at their bank and ask them to give you a cashier's check. Ask them if they would accept a check on a Sunday for that amount and no way to verify the funds are available.

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Izzo93
The company's website passes the sniff test, so there's that.

$6.5K is a lot of lucre to hand over to a private seller, so I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the idea that a business would want to use a check as a matter of course. It's up to you if you want to hold the line for a cash buyer only.

Here's what I did a few years ago when purchasing a used motorcycle trailer from a seller in Virginia:
  • The seller delivered it to my door (coincidentally, he was in the area to purchase a replacement trailer.)
  • I took physical possession of the trailer and gave the seller a personal check.
  • When the check cleared and the funds were deposited in the seller's bank acct., he mailed the trailer's hardcopy title to me as previously agreed upon. I in turn took the signed title to AAA, who mailed it to PENNDOT so that they could issue a PA title directly to me.

Done and done.
Well that’s the thing, what could I “with-hold” from them until my money was guaranteed, in my bank, and no possible issues to occur?, I simply have the lift sitting on a pallet in my garage.
Sure I have purchase receipts,

but I’m seeing people mention cashiers check, but forgive me for maybe not being 100% knowledgeable on the ordeal, but how is a cashiers check more secure or secure in general versus a business issued check?.

and ultimately I truly appreciate every last one of your guys input, and knowledge on this going on right now, and ultimately I have to make a decision, but my biggest thing is, I’ve had a few “bites” on the listing, and tire kickers, as I had it posted a few months back, but nothing solid. Granted, I had it posted for $7,500, but even then, that was a STEAL of a price I had it listed for.

I have it listed here cheaper than what I have it posted for on Marketplace (only$500 cheaper), but still, my biggest thing is I don’t want to miss out on this opportunity when I don’t NEED the cash,

But ok plain and simple, my wife and I are renting where we live. We are having “slight” issues with the landlord. I don’t NEED to move. Not to be biased, or cocky TRULY, because I’m sure there are freaking millionaires on this forum, or those who make well over $250k a year and what I’m making is chump change, but for once in my life I’m finally doing “well” for myself, from making not even $10-15k a year as a cook a few years back. To finally making over 6 figures, stable, very generous career, etc. and things are good.

but it’s at the point now at 28 years old, I’d like to buy my first home, don’t have “quite” enough down payment for the range of-first home I’d like to buy, and there are a few promising homes in the area of im looking close to work, that I don’t NEED the money off the kit, but I also don’t want to drain my savings completely on a down payment, and I also don’t want to take a loan against myself on my 401k either.

And weighing apples to oranges, the kit? I would LOVE to put it on my rig. I’d LOVE to take her out to Moab next year. Etc etc. but I also would like to have a home, build equity, and do it “right” if you would. And if I still want to have this type of kit later on down the road after establishing equity, and having assets that aren’t degrading, then go from there.

so for me to sell the kit as stated isn’t “vital” per say, but would definitely be nice going forward into purchasing a house, from all the research I’m doing about unforeseen costs, and shit, life is life, excuse my French, but I just don’t want to be in a spot.

very unprofessional and some might say immature which is 100% right me exposing why I’m kinda desperate into my reasonings as not wanting to “pass up” this opportunity, but no family to ask their opinions too, and just figured anyone on here might have some sound judgement possibly even hearing of this company, dealing with them directly, etc.

ultimately, rambling aside, I don’t want to pass up on this offer in getting, and end up regretting it months or a year down the road ultimately breaking even or taking less all because I was sketched out by something that I had no reason to worry about in the first place…
Sponsored