Sponsored

Help plan a Route - Nashville to SC - Gear Questions, etc.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Headed to Gupton to pickup a JLUR in the next few weeks. I'm trying to map out a trip back hitting some light trails (nothing too crazy) and working my way through the Banner Elk/Boone area and over to Mt. Airy and then back home. A few questions - I haven't done a lot of off-roading in awhile, and even then it was with XJ's and Toyota pickups which weren't $40k. We had tow ropes, and just basic equipment, nothing crazy.

So, here are my questions -

1. Trails that would be pretty easy/doable and maybe have some hiking off them between Nashville, eastern TN and western NC. I'm going to take my time coming back so, I can go a bit out of the way.

2. Any recovery gear that I could either buy there or bring with me, probably buy there since I'll be flying one-way probably with a carry-on bookbag.

3. Any other tips on routes to stay off Interstates that have some good trials, bbq, anything else.

4. General recommended recovery gear if I'm out alone. In my JK now, I have basic tools, tow rope, jumper cables, tools, the basics, but I haven't been off roading in it because of it's age.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Headed to Gupton to pickup a JLUR in the next few weeks. I'm trying to map out a trip back hitting some light trails (nothing too crazy) and working my way through the Banner Elk/Boone area and over to Mt. Airy and then back home. A few questions - I haven't done a lot of off-roading in awhile, and even then it was with XJ's and Toyota pickups which weren't $40k. We had tow ropes, and just basic equipment, nothing crazy.

So, here are my questions -

1. Trails that would be pretty easy/doable and maybe have some hiking off them between Nashville, eastern TN and western NC. I'm going to take my time coming back so, I can go a bit out of the way.

2. Any recovery gear that I could either buy there or bring with me, probably buy there since I'll be flying one-way probably with a carry-on bookbag.

3. Any other tips on routes to stay off Interstates that have some good trials, bbq, anything else.

4. General recommended recovery gear if I'm out alone. In my JK now, I have basic tools, tow rope, jumper cables, tools, the basics, but I haven't been off roading in it because of it's age.
If you're picking up new, I wouldn't do any terrain where you might need recovery gear. Don't forget there is a break-in period. It's not for the engine, like many assume. That's already broken in at the factory. It's the drivetrain that needs to wear in, which the factory can't do. That doesn't necessarily need to be on-road but I wouldn't take anything more than a mild dirt road until you're through that. Read the break in process in the manual and keep in mind that it's the heating/cooling cycles that really help. Vary your speed and take breaks where the drivetrain can completely cool down.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Gaia GPS and road trippers can help you plan the best route.

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
If you're picking up new, I wouldn't do any terrain where you might need recovery gear. Don't forget there is a break-in period. It's not for the engine, like many assume. That's already broken in at the factory. It's the drivetrain that needs to wear in, which the factory can't do. That doesn't necessarily need to be on-road but I wouldn't take anything more than a mild dirt road until you're through that. Read the break in process in the manual and keep in mind that it's the heating/cooling cycles that really help. Vary your speed and take breaks where the drivetrain can completely cool down.
Good point, yeah so......scenic dirt roads then, and BBQ. But any tame trails that might be worth checking out/hiking off of. I've done a lot of the Blue Ridge around Boone to Asheville.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Good point, yeah so......scenic dirt roads then, and BBQ. But any tame trails that might be worth checking out/hiking off of. I've done a lot of the Blue Ridge around Boone to Asheville.
trailsoffroad.com has some trails in the vicinity, but that isn't my neck of the woods.
Sponsored