Sponsored

Help on spray paint rims. How do I do 5 tires in one weekend if I take them off?

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I want to spray paint my tires. I only have 1 floor jack. I am thinking to take one wheel off, spray paint it, takes about an hour? Leave it for 2 hours to dry? After 2 hours, can I mount it back? People suggest to leave it 24 hours to dry. How should schedule to paint all 5 wheels? I want to finish them in 1 weekend, 2 days.

easiest way is not taking off wheels. But it is hard to paint
Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
To answer your question, put the vehicle up on jack stands.

Other than that, I don't see this ending up well. Save up the money to have the wheels properly powder coated, it's about $100/wheel.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
You won’t have a good outcome, even rattle can paint takes days to cure and get hard. Best to just paint the spare and do one per week, with time to cure.

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
To answer your question, put the vehicle up on jack stands.

Other than that, I don't see this ending up well. Save up the money to have the wheels properly powder coated, it's about $100/wheel.
Guess I asked the wrong guy. The shop I asked quoted me $1600 for 5 wheels. And they asked for a whole week, which means I have to rent cars for a week. 2 or 3 days are acceptable

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
You won’t have a good outcome, even rattle can paint takes days to cure and get hard. Best to just paint the spare and do one per week, with time to cure.
How long does it take normally? Online searches says top clear coat takes 24 - 48 hours to dry.

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Obviously you need jack stands first and just take off all five, buy good ones with real locks, check the reviews as there are a lot of really, really bad jack stands out there and several are name brands. And obviously don't be the dink who can't find a level surface on concrete and then complains about the disaster.
Don't cheap out on the spray paint and get the clear coat stuff too, If it says "Krylon" on the can you cheaped out
There's a product thats 25 beans per can that will give it a super glossy and hard finish after the paints dry, you get one shot with that can so be ready to use it up
I had to paint a new fender last year black, used spray paint and clear coat and when it dried I buffed it, waxed it and buffed it again
Installed it and traded it in a few months later and no one even noticed but me - IT MATCHED !!!
Obviously clean these very good, lightly sand whats needed, the last cleaning should be alcohol.
If the weathers not right, wait till it is
It can be done with just a little effort and skill - you got this ! :)

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
How ever you go about this, make sure you sand/scuff/prep/etch your wheels before painting.

Reactions: J0E

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Guess I asked the wrong guy. The shop I asked quoted me $1600 for 5 wheels. And they asked for a whole week, which means I have to rent cars for a week. 2 or 3 days are acceptable
Yeah that quote is ridiculous. You can also generally pick up a set of take-off wheels for $400-$500 or an aftermarket set for $900-$1000 & sell your stock set.

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Obviously you need jack stands first and just take off all five, buy good ones with real locks, check the reviews as there are a lot of really, really bad jack stands out there and several are name brands. And obviously don't be the dink who can't find a level surface on concrete and then complains about the disaster.
Don't cheap out on the spray paint and get the clear coat stuff too, If it says "Krylon" on the can you cheaped out
There's a product thats 25 beans per can that will give it a super glossy and hard finish after the paints dry, you get one shot with that can so be ready to use it up
I had to paint a new fender last year black, used spray paint and clear coat and when it dried I buffed it, waxed it and buffed it again
Installed it and traded it in a few months later and no one even noticed but me - IT MATCHED !!!
Obviously clean these very good, lightly sand whats needed, the last cleaning should be alcohol.
If the weathers not right, wait till it is
It can be done with just a little effort and skill - you got this ! :)
Thank you. I got those paints from Mopar.
Mopar touch up, and Mopar clear top coat.

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Yeah that quote is ridiculous. You can also generally pick up a set of take-off wheels for $400-$500 or an aftermarket set for $900-$1000 & sell your stock set.
I kinda like the stock wheels. They get styles. But they are difficult to paint as not flat surface only spokes. I just want to paint spokes body color

Sponsored

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA

Were you just going to drop the entire jeep off to him, or give him the wheels without the tires mounted ?

Because maybe that price is you paying him to put the jeep on jack stands, remove wheels tires, have tires removed, etc . ..

This is for powder coating in a high temp oven correct ? not painting ... I don't think the tires go in the oven ..

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Were you just going to drop the entire jeep off to him, or give him the wheels without the tires mounted ?

Because maybe that price is you paying him to put the jeep on jack stands, remove wheels tires, have tires removed, etc . ..

This is for powder coating in a high temp oven correct ? not painting ... I don't think the tires go in the oven ..
Yes the quote is for powder coating. They need me to leave the car for a week.
I have ordered paint from dealer. I will try to do it myself first and see how that goes. Worst case I send it back to some shop

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Allow me to apply my poor man-sense, get a few cans of duplicolor or plastidip, grab a couple of rags cover brake calipers and rotors-clean rims real good individually and apply spray-this way you won't have to lift your Jeep at all. Not sure how much you're out on the trails, but once you scratch them re-apply. Saves money. hopefully this helps. Keep the Jeep wave going.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
An easy way to do all 5; vehicle on jackstands, take all 5 wheels off ; stub them well with Blue Dawn detergent , water, using Scotchbrite ( this kills the gloss, removes oils and grime. ) Use a strip of thin flashing, 3" or so wide, and run it around the tire,with the flashing edge between the edge of the rim bead and tire sidewall. Clip the ends together with clothes pins or light clamps. You can determine how much flashing you need by using math - multiply the diameter by 3.14 plus some inches for overlap. This keeps overspray off the side walls.
The flashing strips can be just one piece, that you move front to back, on each tire, or a complete set. Since the strip is easy on/off, one will do fine.
I also tape off the valve stem.
I use spray cans of Wheel Paint, and have used Krylon with excellent results.
This method eliminates masking, and lets you accomplish painting your wheels quickly.
The spray paints I use dry quickly, wheels are back on the Jeep in an hour or so dry time. 2-3 coats, 4 standard spray cans to do inside as well as outside surfaces., 17" wheels.
Clean, dry, scuffed paint surfaces a must. Using an air gun to blow any rinse water out from crevices a big plus.
Enjoy !

Reactions: J0E

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)