Sponsored

Help on Rubicon FT4WD option needed even after hours of searching!

IrishJLU21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Occupation
Computer things
Hello,

This is my first post on the forum, and it EATS ME UP to have it be a question asked many times before, but I feel like I have no other option at this point. I have been reading threads here, on Reddit, other forums, etc, for hours last night and at least 6+ today and I still can't seem to find a solid answer on this question...

What is actually inside the "Rock-trac Full Time 4wd" transfer case on a 2021 Rubicon Unlimited?? Is it purely clutches or does it still have a chain/true-lock mechanism? I've seen some posts saying it's garbage with guaranteed-to-fail clutches, others saying it's a combination of both, a lot of speculation and "I think I know what's what" type "science" so I'm so confused. Looking up the actual MP3022 transfer case and digging into the internals on the Mopar site indicate a chain, but it isn't exactly the clearest of parts diagrams I've seen so I don't even know if it's truly the right thing I'm looking at...

Anyway, the reason this is so important is that there are minimal Rubicons in my area and I'm set to buy one on Tuesday, however in my own stupidity I didn't realize until I was 75% into the process that it has the FT4WD option and now I'm kinda freaking out and wondering if I should kill the deal. To be clear, there are a few others in the area, some that don't have it, but this one has EVERYTHING I want and the only misgiving I have is the FT4WD so I don't know what to do.

To be clear, yes, I will off-road this thing, it's why I want the Rubicon in the first place. I may not be a super duper hardcore rock crawler, but I will absolutely use it as intended, at least 95% of the way. I had an 09 JK Sport S years ago and wheeled it as much as I could until a 2nd child on the way forced me to sell it and I've missed it ever since. This time around I'm in a better place overall and can get the Rubicon I've always dreamed of and that's what I'm going to do, but I don't want to spend the $$$ they cost only to find out I accidentally got an option that is helpful in some edge cases (on-road snow, heavy rain, etc) but ultimately hurts the off-road ability. I do live in the Northeast US so it's not a totally wasted option, but still, I've spent enough years driving in snow and terrible rain without such things that I mostly know what I'm doing at this point.

Again, I'm really sorry for posting a repeat topic, I hate doing it, but even with many, many hours of searching I just can't find concrete answers and this isn't exactly a cheap purchase so I wanted to try this (please don't blacklist and/or hate me for it! I'm a nice guy, I swear!)
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
These photos were helpful to me. Top is part-time. Bottom is the new auto-4WD unit..

1624239176718.png

1624239194803.png
Thats not the transfer case though as I’m sure you are aware. People who offroad a lot will likely be switching axle shafts and those that want the best will consider RCV’s which have a CV joint anyway. I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with CV’s. They are so much smoother with the locker engaged while turning. While I have tons of confidence in my RCV’s, the stock CV’s I could see holding up better to that frequent scenario as well.

To the OP, I don’t have anything definitive for you about the internals of the transfer case. There would have to be a clutch pack to allow for slippage so the full time system could function. Beyond that I don’t know. Fortunately for me I bought in 2019 when this option for a Rubicon didn’t exist. I would buy the part time model all else equal though.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Hello,

This is my first post on the forum, and it EATS ME UP to have it be a question asked many times before, but I feel like I have no other option at this point. I have been reading threads here, on Reddit, other forums, etc, for hours last night and at least 6+ today and I still can't seem to find a solid answer on this question...

What is actually inside the "Rock-trac Full Time 4wd" transfer case on a 2021 Rubicon Unlimited?? Is it purely clutches or does it still have a chain/true-lock mechanism? I've seen some posts saying it's garbage with guaranteed-to-fail clutches, others saying it's a combination of both, a lot of speculation and "I think I know what's what" type "science" so I'm so confused. Looking up the actual MP3022 transfer case and digging into the internals on the Mopar site indicate a chain, but it isn't exactly the clearest of parts diagrams I've seen so I don't even know if it's truly the right thing I'm looking at...

Anyway, the reason this is so important is that there are minimal Rubicons in my area and I'm set to buy one on Tuesday, however in my own stupidity I didn't realize until I was 75% into the process that it has the FT4WD option and now I'm kinda freaking out and wondering if I should kill the deal. To be clear, there are a few others in the area, some that don't have it, but this one has EVERYTHING I want and the only misgiving I have is the FT4WD so I don't know what to do.

To be clear, yes, I will off-road this thing, it's why I want the Rubicon in the first place. I may not be a super duper hardcore rock crawler, but I will absolutely use it as intended, at least 95% of the way. I had an 09 JK Sport S years ago and wheeled it as much as I could until a 2nd child on the way forced me to sell it and I've missed it ever since. This time around I'm in a better place overall and can get the Rubicon I've always dreamed of and that's what I'm going to do, but I don't want to spend the $$$ they cost only to find out I accidentally got an option that is helpful in some edge cases (on-road snow, heavy rain, etc) but ultimately hurts the off-road ability. I do live in the Northeast US so it's not a totally wasted option, but still, I've spent enough years driving in snow and terrible rain without such things that I mostly know what I'm doing at this point.

Again, I'm really sorry for posting a repeat topic, I hate doing it, but even with many, many hours of searching I just can't find concrete answers and this isn't exactly a cheap purchase so I wanted to try this (please don't blacklist and/or hate me for it! I'm a nice guy, I swear!)
Interested too, watching.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’ve been trying to find out the same thing. I suspect the t-case operates similar to the older Selec-trac case used in the XJ Cherokees (that didn’t use clutches) but haven’t been able to find definitive proof of how they actually work.
I believe the XJ’s with Selec-trac used a gear driven differential (that could be locked) inside the case instead of clutches which, in my opinion, would make them much more reliable than if they used clutches.

Glovetown

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
I have a 2021 non selec-trac. I have to wait a min year in Canada to order
What I really want. Just buy and drive what’s available, upgrade later. You don’t lose money on wranglers

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I added it on my JLUR order, I think I would've regretted not getting it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IrishJLU21

IrishJLU21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Occupation
Computer things
Thanks folks, I appreciate it. It's really a shame that there isn't more clear/concrete info on this provided by Jeep (or anyone, really). I thought about ordering, but with various shortages and manufacturing situations I was told it would be a pretty long wait, though I didn't dig deep enough to get full detail on what that means.

What it boils down to is of the Rubicons in my area on lots, this one has steel bumpers, dual top group, the off road camera system, on-road features I do in fact like having, etc, but also has the FT4WD system. A couple others that don't have the FT4WD are available but are missing some of the other stuff I care about - some of it easy to change aftermarket like no steel bumpers, however it's not so easy to add missing things like the radar cruise control (which sounds silly when talking about a Jeep, but once you have it and get used to it it's hard to give it up, lol) and whatnot.

One thing I did learn was that overseas this has been a standard thing in Rubicons for a while, though they have smaller tires and the non-wide axles. If it was super problematic I'd have to assume I would have found some issues posted from our friends over the pond but that's just a guess. For what it's worth, the build sheet on this one still indicates M210/M220 Wide D44s and the same tires as PT4WD Rubicons so at least there's that.

The big question is just whether or not the entire system is handled through clutches in the TC, or is there a combination of clutches for the FT/Auto mode, while still having traditional bits for 4H-PT and 4L. The fact that this system is the only thing you can get in the 4xe models and the 392 (as far as I've seen) gives me some confidence that it's still a decent system, especially when you consider the situation overseas along with it, but it would still be nice to know for sure what I'm getting.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it. The clutches in full time cases have come a long way. My old WJ had the Quadra trac with a viscous coupler and clutches for 4A. Never had a problem until the modifiers in the fluid were shot and it would bind slightly in turns. Every time I changed fluid it went back to normal. I just treated it as a reminder it was time to buy the super expensive fluid.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Thats not the transfer case though as I’m sure you are aware. People who offroad a lot will likely be switching axle shafts and those that want the best will consider RCV’s which have a CV joint anyway. I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with CV’s. They are so much smoother with the locker engaged while turning. While I have tons of confidence in my RCV’s, the stock CV’s I could see holding up better to that frequent scenario as well.

To the OP, I don’t have anything definitive for you about the internals of the transfer case. There would have to be a clutch pack to allow for slippage so the full time system could function. Beyond that I don’t know. Fortunately for me I bought in 2019 when this option for a Rubicon didn’t exist. I would buy the part time model all else equal though.
Haha, yes, that is for sure not the transfer case. I just found the photos helpful in understanding the mechanical differences between the two Rubicon 4WD systems. I'm a little surprised that none of us can find solid information about the transfer case. You would think someone would have torn one down by now.
Sponsored