Sponsored

Help on custom spare tire mountain bike carrier?

Outside360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I am looking for some help with the problem of trying to carry a full-suspension mountain bike on my Wrangler. On my JK, Saris had a fantastic double clamp rack that mounted to the spare tire carrier of the Jeep. Fit any bike. Didn't block access to the rear gate. No other levers or pins to engage or pull to move the rack. You sucked the rack into the spare tire, and it put enough pressure on it to keep it nice
saris-freedom-superclamp-2-bike-spare-tire-mounted-rack-34893-1-11-1.jpg

and quiet and secure.

Now with my JL, the backup camera doesn't allow the same mounting plate to be used on the spare carrier. On top of the Saris has quit making the rack as they said there wasn't enough demand.

Has anyone made a custom bike mount/rack that works similarly for the JL? I know I can do a hitch mount, with an extension, and then a swing arm, but, on top of that costing a pile, it's still a pain to use compared to something mounted right to the rear gate. To be clear, those hanging racks like what Thule and Yakima make for a spare tire mount, do not work well for full suspension bikes, so that's not an option.
If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.
Sponsored

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. I used the Mopar spare tire bike rack on my JK's; it was great, carried 2 bikes, was lockable, very easy to open and close the tailgate, and kept the profile down to avoid those low-hanging branches from tearing off a roof mounted rack. But the rear-view camera prevents installation on a JL. So unless I can find a suitable alternative, I will probably end up doing a camera re-location of some kind so I can use the JK rack again.

Watching thread...