Help! Northeast...

Jeep24Dmb

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Any trails at all in the northeast? I live in Mass. Anything within driving distance? I don’t see anything in the badge of honor program near here either. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

TuTTerZZ12

First Name
Ryan Tuthill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk’n
Occupation
USAF SF
Any trails at all in the northeast? I live in Mass. Anything within driving distance? I don’t see anything in the badge of honor program near here either. Thanks everyone!
Watching! I live in Maine and there seems to be a few here like 1-2 they I haven’t got to try yet but look sort of fun but as a Badge trail none even close which stinks. I’m dying to try/find some here tho I’d even travel the NH. Finding off-road trails or JL owners in Maine is RARE not a lot of interest.

OP
OP

Jeep24Dmb

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Well hopefully a few people here will help us out and let us know of some places to go off-roading in this area. Or even within a 3-4 hour drive is fine with me. Thanks!

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Currently living in Albany, NY. The Adirondacks have some occasional off road trails, but there is a lot of private land with lots of regulations. In the winter, snowmobile trails can be fun, but you'll piss off the locals if you get stuck and make a bunch of tire spinning holes in their nice trails.

That being said, two fun places to check out are Vanderwacker mountain and Crane pond are fun 2-5 mile trails with great hiking and camping and kayaking.

Locations:
Vanderwacker mountain trail:
Google "moose pond club road." The road comes off highway 28N about 10 miles north of Minerva, NY. There are several campsites (free, first come first served) near a nice river at the beginning of the road. It is a rocket trail that is maintained by the mood pond club, and could be done easily with a stock 4wd, but has great hiking and camping.

3C80F609-0C38-48BD-A2D0-549EB59CF636.png

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Crane pond:
-near schroon lake airport.
-directions: google schroon lake airport. Go straight past the airport on alder meadow road. When you go up the hill and hit a fork in the road, go left down the hill on crane pond road. Keep driving until you hit the "parking lot." There is a jeep trail to the right. Stock subarus can do the trail, but there are lots of rocks, hills, a 100 yd 6 inch (late summer) to 2.5ft (mid spring) water crossing that freezes over by November (variable ability to cross with a jeep and a winch if you fall through the 1-2ft deep ice-water). Primitive camping is available at the actual crane pond. 2 sites can be hiked to, 8 are only reachable by kayak/canoe.

And when you're done, "sticks and stones" has the best wings in the area, and lots of good beer, and a really nice setting for chilling.

9E83873B-E9A9-4429-AEA9-9BF984779C3C.png

17DD64A6-A87B-4E7A-B2CC-10D89EA11EAD.jpeg

Sponsored

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Vanderwacker mountain photo didn't load properly. Here’s a working version.

4B41CB92-99E0-4F43-9625-9578DB08D6B8.jpeg

ACDB775B-E915-48D6-B6C7-E2AE9B5CFA71.png

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Currently living in Albany, NY. The Adirondacks have some occasional off road trails, but there is a lot of private land with lots of regulations. In the winter, snowmobile trails can be fun, but you'll piss off the locals if you get stuck and make a bunch of tire spinning holes in their nice trails.

That being said, two fun places to check out are Vanderwacker mountain and Crane pond are fun 2-5 mile trails with great hiking and camping and kayaking.
Thanks for the heads up, those look like great spots.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Your best bet is to join a club, just do a search, I'm sure some will pop up. I'm sure there are some private off road parks too, I know there are some in NY (the look, but don't touch state). You can also look for class 4 roads in VT. Those are legal but unmaintained roads that most have degraded in 4x4 trails.

I didn't dig too deep, but you might find something here also:

https://www.where2wheel.com/about-w...sachusetts-jeep-4x4-and-ohv-trails-in-ma.html

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Most of the ski areas in Northern NE have service roads that allow for vehicles to ascend mts and service lifts in the summer months. Thats the closest I have seen around here .

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
NY (the look, but don't touch state).
Yeah NY truly is desolate, unless you want to snag some big fines and be impounded. The strange thing is I see a lot of lifted/extreme lifted Jeeps in my area (Westchester NY) on a daily basis. I wonder where they are going to use those lifts. I even see mudded jeeps on a regular basis.

Sponsored

Crumpzula

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Jlu
Same here. I am from orange county Ny looking for some trails. Willing to dry a lite out of the way.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
VT has a tone of class 4 roads and they force the towns to keep their maps updated and they make them publicly available, they unmaintained roads that are in different states of decay might be a bumpy dirt road might actually be a river. Almost every town will have a class 4.
http://vtransmaps.vermont.gov/mapsftp/current.asp

NH has class 6 road they are the same as a VT class 4, but they don't keep or offer system of maps you can easily find. There is Jericho state park which allows 4x4 and is the only one in the north east to do so, but the trails are hard.

Maine does not have a road class system like VT or NH but they do have lots of dirt roads and with good mapping you can make a dirt road week out there. There is also Maine Northwoods which is a massive area (3.5 million acres) owned by mostly logging companies but they allow people for a fee access to the land and camping. There is also Rocky Terrain Offroad Park

In Mass, RI, and CT its mostly densely populated private land so not much to start with, but joining a club like one that is a member of the NEA4WD they have worked out deals with local land owners to gain access to private land legally
http://nea4wd.org/
Sponsored