Help Needed with Disconnecting Genesis Dual Battery Please

RSenese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hello.
GENESIS QUESTION.png

I had a Genesis Dual battery installed on my JLUR recently- with plans to make it an overlanding Jeep. Not being electrically inclined, I decided to have my shop do it, I figured I should start learning installs with small things like sPod, lights and CB radio, instead of taking the chance of learning on something quite complex for my standards. It’s been installed and works great thus far. But I have a very amateur question that could use some help.

I’m in the process of wiring KC Rock Light kit (6 lights). I know I need to disconnect the batteries before wiring the lights it to the sPod, But at that point I become lost. Would I treat this as a normal battery and uninstall both negative terminals first, and then positive terminals?

I’ve attached a photo for reference, and I just want to make sure I have the right idea-

I think that terminal bolt at (A) (shoved under there) would come first, then (B) which would disconnect all negative, then (C) and then (D) to disconnect all positive. Similar to a single battery, but just doing negatives twice then positives twice?

And if this is correct about both negatives first then both positives second- does it matter if I start with (A) and not (B), or does it not matter and they are interchangeable- just any negative then the other negative, and the same for positives.

Label (1) and (2) and (3) is where I get a little overwhelmed, with all those additional terminals plugged in. I think I would have to loosen (1) a little to get to (A) because it’s too tight to get in there otherwise.

So I think I need to loosen (1) to get to (A) but nothing else with (1) except for clearance to (A), As far as (2) and (3) goes, I don’t need to start disconnecting all of that right? Just the main terminals A, B, C, D? I get a little overwhelmed with (1) and (2) and definitely (3).

Thanks for the help in advance-

Originally I was embarrassed and prideful and didn’t want to ask for help, but that will do me no good, so I greatly appreciate any and all assistance.

Warm Regards

EDIT: Im sorry. I don't know what the photo is here twice, and every time I try and delete one I delete both, but they are the same picture just seen twice.

GENESIS QUESTION.png
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Not a dumb question at all. As I listened to a YouTube video by several experts when installing my lights with just the standard battery . Long story short I didn’t have long enough ground wires for the light to hit the recommended location closest to the fire wall. I found this other ground. Looked just like the one closest to the firewall. Hooked up the lights with the main battery dis connected and the factory aux switches off. And the lights came on! All I can think of was the second battery the starter battery must have been in that circuit.

So with the dual battery system from genesis do you still retain the starter battery how does tha work? Wish I coul help you more.

OP
OP
RSenese

RSenese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for your response-
I caved and called Genesis, Shane the owner picked up and walked me through it in a minute and was super helpful and in no way made me feel dumb for asking-
highly recommend them not only for the product, but the interaction I had with the owner was awesome.

For anyone else that may have the same question in the future, just disconnect C and D and you are good to go.
I did it, installed the rock lights, and it looks awesome.

I have another question though, and I dont want to call Shane again so quickly, lol.

Part D, the connector for the main battery has this black rectangle that is in 2 pieces, split diagonally, It holds the screw in place so it doesn't turn when loosing and tightening. You can see it right under the nut in the photo, to the visible left of the terminal.
Well- I dropped half of it under the hood and I can't find it for the life of me.

I endlessly googled for it name so I can buy another one-
but I dont even know what it is called to find it so im in a rabbit hole trying to find it.

I could call Shane back- but I was hoping someone would know so I could avoid another ridiculous question to him.

:)

Thanks.

EDIT- to answer you question, the starter battery is removed, and now replaced with two full size batteries.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
just find one that fits the threads and use a 2 box wrenches \. I drop stuff allthe time it goes to who knows wehere under the jeep frame. maybe even it ends up inthe frame

I

noreserve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 TJ Sport
I know this one is an old post, but needs to be corrected. The correct answer is to disconnect the NEGATIVE cables (A and B in pic) from both batteries. Tape or wrap them to avoid coming back into contact with anything.
Sponsored