Sponsored

Help Needed - ABS and ESC Service light after Jumping Genesis Kit

jtjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hi,

Spend the last few days digging through all the great info on the forum but was not able to get an answer to my issue.

I have a 19 jl with the genesis dual battery kit. I let the jeep sit for a couple of weeks and ended up draining both batteries. After jump starting the vehicle, I now have a "Service ABS" and "Service ESC" light. I cannot get these codes cleared -

- I tried taking the jeep on a few long drives to charge up the battery but the service lights remain
- I disconnected the battery entirely, but no change
- Tried to clear the codes with the tazor, but no change
- looked as a few of the fuses

What seems to seperate my issues from others is that the lights are always on... not intermittent.

Any ideas what it could be? Fuses seemed to be fine, but I did not check them all. Maybe the battery sensor?

I worry that i might have fried something when jump starting. I used a pack first and then switched to conventional jumper cables.

As a further flag the batteries were super low (2.5a) so the jeep was freaking out a little when i tried to start it (wipers going off, xmas tree on the dash, saying the vehicle was not in P when it was.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
jtjk

jtjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bumping this up incase anyone has any ideas

Tamos7

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sahara, 2016 Renegade
Hi,

Spend the last few days digging through all the great info on the forum but was not able to get an answer to my issue.

I have a 19 jl with the genesis dual battery kit. I let the jeep sit for a couple of weeks and ended up draining both batteries. After jump starting the vehicle, I now have a "Service ABS" and "Service ESC" light. I cannot get these codes cleared -

- I tried taking the jeep on a few long drives to charge up the battery but the service lights remain
- I disconnected the battery entirely, but no change
- Tried to clear the codes with the tazor, but no change
- looked as a few of the fuses

What seems to seperate my issues from others is that the lights are always on... not intermittent.

Any ideas what it could be? Fuses seemed to be fine, but I did not check them all. Maybe the battery sensor?

I worry that i might have fried something when jump starting. I used a pack first and then switched to conventional jumper cables.

As a further flag the batteries were super low (2.5a) so the jeep was freaking out a little when i tried to start it (wipers going off, xmas tree on the dash, saying the vehicle was not in P when it was.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I'm watching this one to see what the experts say. I know for my daughter's 2016 Renegade, jump starting is dangerous. So much so that I purchased an external battery pack to use when needed.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Sounds like something shorted/fried. Did you jump the main battery first and then let the Jeep charge it up? The 2nd battery should have been isolated until the Jeep was running above 13.2V for 2 minutes.

How did you drain both batteries? I've got the Genesis kit and want to make sure I don't somehow kill both.

OP
OP
jtjk

jtjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like something shorted/fried. Did you jump the main battery first and then let the Jeep charge it up? The 2nd battery should have been isolated until the Jeep was running above 13.2V for 2 minutes.

How did you drain both batteries? I've got the Genesis kit and want to make sure I don't somehow kill both.
I stupidly confused the two, so I first jumped the accessory battery and then moved to the cranking after I realized my mistake.

I am actually not 100% sure. I was in and out of the vehicle allot while it was not driven, so that is how I killed my cranking battery. Not 100% on the aux as the only thing wired direct to that is my winch.. everything else is through the SPOD which should also have a low voltage cutoff

Sponsored

OP
OP
jtjk

jtjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update - Rhinebeck01 Reached out and suggested I check the fuse bar. Will test it out and update later

Vid for context

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I stupidly confused the two, so I first jumped the accessory battery and then moved to the cranking after I realized my mistake.

I am actually not 100% sure. I was in and out of the vehicle allot while it was not driven, so that is how I killed my cranking battery. Not 100% on the aux as the only thing wired direct to that is my winch.. everything else is through the SPOD which should also have a low voltage cutoff
Oh shit, this may by why you could have killed your fuse bar. Huge voltage spike there jumping the secondary battery and not the main.

Still wondering why you killed both batteries when nothing was draining off your secondary. Wonder if the isolator didn't kick off for some rare/odd reason. Mine kicks off like clock work at 12.72 volts.

OP
OP
jtjk

jtjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
realize i never closed out this thread.

My issue ended up being super simple. I just had to clear the CEL codes that were caused by running the battery down to zero . The reason my tazer would not clear the codes was that i had not recently done an update on it.

..... still adjusting to vehicles that get software updates
Sponsored