• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

California HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
If you are looking for mounting ideas for your radio, there is a great hidden spot under your steering wheel behind the knee kick dash panel.
20210130_182515.jpg

20210130_185738.jpg
Nice location. What did you do with the extra antenna cable? Where did you mount the antenna?
Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Nice location. What did you do with the extra antenna cable? Where did you mount the antenna?
I mounted a Motorola 6db antenna on the rear swing gate, used all the wire up running from the front to the rear.

I used a Kraken Offroad passenger side tailgate mount for that antenna.

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU 20210130_151955

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I am thinking to go this route with the 3dB ghost antenna and Rugged Radio mount.

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU 86F7A9B3-23EF-431D-A5E6-EBC61E483FA9

Is that the Rugged Ridge antenna mount? If so I have that one, it also mounts to the TJ, be aware that it rusts pretty quickly. I removed it, wire wheeled it and painted it again, so far so good.... not sure what paint or powder coat RR used but it failed in no time at all.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
I did an A pillar bracket from Rugged Radios. Running Midland MXT275 and their ghost antenna.

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU BB448AE2-C254-4DD3-87F2-6D6C70ABF5F8

F0983C2F-D6B8-494A-89DA-AB6D0AFFCD7E.jpeg

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that the Rugged Ridge antenna mount? If so I have that one, it also mounts to the TJ, be aware that it rusts pretty quickly. I removed it, wire wheeled it and painted it again, so far so good.... not sure what paint or powder coat RR used but it failed in no time at all.
No, these are made by Rugged Radios. It’s powdered coated really well and aluminum so no worries of rust.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mistyped... mine is by Ruged Radios too. Sounds like they upped their game from a year ago.
i bought mine about a year ago too, but have had zero issues with the powder coating.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking to go this route with the 3dB ghost antenna and Rugged Radio mount.

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU F0983C2F-D6B8-494A-89DA-AB6D0AFFCD7E

I have that mount with a regular length Midland antenna. The great thing about that location is that you can't see the antenna from the driver seat and A-pillar lights don't reflect off of it into your eyes. I like it so much I'm getting ready to install the same mount on my JK. The only downside is that it is a little flimsy, so I'm careful not to let branches or brush hit it when off-roading. I have that Ghost antenna, too, and swap it out when in trails with dense vegetation. It works well, but doesn't have nearly the range of the regular antenna. But it certainly has enough for most situations.

OP
OP
YTBlue

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU F0983C2F-D6B8-494A-89DA-AB6D0AFFCD7E

Thanks. I’m just finishing the install, and will post pictures later this afternoon, but I used the Midland 3dB Ghost antenna, too, on the passenger side. Many great recommendations, and such great advice. Thanks!

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I already had the Cooltech CB antenna mount. Im dumping CB for GMRS. Using the Midland NMO mount cable, it'll wotk with the CB antenna mount.

Just curious....why wouldn't you have used the mounting hole that's integrated with the tailgate hinge reinforcement? Seems like a much cleaner/easier option, and it's already there.

OP
OP
YTBlue

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installation complete. Here's summary:
Midland MXT275 GMRS (installed under steering wheel)​
Midland 3dB Ghost Antenna (installed on Passenger side)​
CoolTech Front Antenna Mount​
Midland MXTA24 Low Profile Antenna Cable​
CoolTech JL/JT Mic Mount​
Attached photos do NOT show the GMRS radio installed under the driver's side, as there have been several photos of great installations in this thread; besides the available room, there seems to be good ventilation. Installed the Ghost antenna on passenger side, as installation instructions recommend maintaining a minimum safe separation distance of 33.54 inches from the antenna when transmitting. Otherwise, a shoutout to CoolTech for great instructions. Midland and CoolTech did a great job getting components to me. Thanks to everyone who helped here of the Forum. Now, some pics:

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU Ghost Antenna
Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU Driver Side Mic
Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU CoolTech Mic Mount
Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU Dash with Mic-Edit

Last edited:

Greymatter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Installation complete. Here's summary:
Midland MXT275 GMRS (installed under steering wheel)​
Midland 3dB Ghost Antenna (installed on Passenger side)​
CoolTech Front Antenna Mount​
Midland MXTA24 Low Profile Antenna Cable​
CoolTech JL/JT Mic Mount​
Attached photos do NOT show the GMRS radio installed under the driver's side, as there have been several photos of great installations in this thread; besides the available room, there seems to be good ventilation. Installed the Ghost antenna on passenger side, as installation instructions recommend maintaining a minimum safe separation distance of 33.54 inches from the antenna when transmitting. Otherwise, a shoutout to CoolTech for great instructions. Midland and CoolTech did a great job getting components to me. Thanks to everyone who helped here of the Forum. Now, some pics:

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP! Need Your GMRS Antenna Mounting Recommendations for '21 JLU Dash with Mic-Edit
have you tested this setup out yet? Curious how well the ghost antenna works?

OP
OP
YTBlue

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
have you tested this setup out yet? Curious how well the ghost antenna works?
Heading to MOAB tomorrow for four days, and will be doing testing. Will report back upon my return. Thanks.
Sponsored