Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
After 53 years of marriage to the same woman, I feel qualified to say that you NEVER tell your wife what she "needs", especially a cosmetic mod, and even more so when she's already said she doesn't want it.
But.....it's for her own good 🤔🤔😒
Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
As another poster stated, a 34" tire might effect the shifting. Have you checked into this, or have any concerns about it?
I have.
I have the 3.6L/8-spd auto.
Last month I regeared to 4.56 for a few reasons. My Willys had the standard 3.45 gear sets, and with the stock 32" tires, I was never happy with the performance. The V6 isn't very torque rich in low rpms.
The change in axle ratio, with my 8-spd, really improved its gear holding ability on the freeway etc.
With my, (soon) increase to a 34" tire, it'll be just about perfect.
Not to mention the improved control while in low range/low speed trail use.
It's no Rubicon with 4:1 low, but it'll be definitely improved.
My Jeep isn't a daily driver, so I'm building a fun, mild to medium trail rig. 👌

OP
OP
Jiggs1960

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why not win the war and just do 285/70s? They look better than the 255/75's, they are just a hair taller, but the win is you can buy Rubicon takeoffs for pennies on the dollar and have a neverending supply of cheap good tires? K02's wildpeak MTs (and ATs if you buy from a gladiator)
Thanks, that might be worth considering. I read where the 285/75 17s are about the biggest tire I can put on without lifting it, that's why I was determined to go that route, but if I can pick up some Rubicon takeoffs for much less money, that might the smart thing to do.

OP
OP
Jiggs1960

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have.
I have the 3.6L/8-spd auto.
Last month I regeared to 4.56 for a few reasons. My Willys had the standard 3.45 gear sets, and with the stock 32" tires, I was never happy with the performance. The V6 isn't very torque rich in low rpms.
The change in axle ratio, with my 8-spd, really improved its gear holding ability on the freeway etc.
With my, (soon) increase to a 34" tire, it'll be just about perfect.
Not to mention the improved control while in low range/low speed trail use.
It's no Rubicon with 4:1 low, but it'll be definitely improved.
My Jeep isn't a daily driver, so I'm building a fun, mild to medium trail rig. 👌
Sounds like you know a lot more about this than I do. Ours is a 2.0 turbo / automatic. We plan on doing some off-road, but nothing extreme. Do you think 34s would be pushing it for us? I'm not interested in regearing it.
Thanks

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Sounds like you know a lot more about this than I do. Ours is a 2.0 turbo / automatic. We plan on doing some off-road, but nothing extreme. Do you think 34s would be pushing it for us? I'm not interested in regearing it.
Thanks
Your turbo 4cyl has more off idle low end torque. I think you'd be fine with the 285/75-17. 😁

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jiggs1960

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t lie Curt, I’ve been married for 32 years what’s hers is hers and what’s yours is hers
She actually enjoys driving my truck too (totally different ride), so a lot of truth to what you said.

OP
OP
Jiggs1960

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your turbo 4cyl has more off idle low end torque. I think you'd be fine with the 285/75-17. 😁
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
Have a great day

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
A Jeep and a Colorado? Sounds like a great household vehicle combo!

Regarding your original post ... Suggest leaving HER Jeep alone.

OP
OP
Jiggs1960

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A Jeep and a Colorado? Sounds like a great household vehicle combo!

Regarding your original post ... Suggest leaving HER Jeep alone.
The Colorado is fine (I got it because we wanted a vehicle with four doors, and she definitely wanted hers to be a two door model), but to be honest, I prefer driving the Jeep........ it's a fun vehicle to drive.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
The Colorado is fine (I got it because we wanted a vehicle with four doors, and she definitely wanted hers to be a two door model), but to be honest, I prefer driving the Jeep........ it's a fun vehicle to drive.
So the real answer here is that you need a third vehicle, a 2-door Rubi for yourself to do whatever you want to. Cheaper than a divorce anyways.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
My wife didn't like our Jeep when we first drove it home from the dealer. She started referring to it as "her Jeep" on Day 2. :)

303StingGray

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy 2dr
I went with the 285/75 set up on my 2 dr Willys and have no problem off roading. Got a great deal on some KO2's. They are the heavy E range but I have not had problems when going to Moad and doing the trails there. Air down and have fun with it. I did a "rubicon take-off" lift from an eco and am sitting almost 3 inches higher but I think it would look beefy at stock height. Let me know if you want some pics and I will send some over. I also have the 2.0L/8 spd auto

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This horse has already been beaten but Toyo Trail RT hands down.

"Our" Willys is actually my wife's Willys....she's wanted one all her life, and now she finally has one (maybe I shouldn't admit it here, but I have a '22 Chevy Colorado Z71). Anyway, she was fine with spending the money to put a steel bumber on it, along with KC Daylighters, but is not convinced that she needs bigger tires. I'm not looking to lift it any, but was hoping to put 285/75 17's on it. I've shown her pictures that I've gotten from here on the forum pages with the larger tires, but she's still not convinced. Any suggestions? (short of wacking her across the back of the head with a 2x4)
thanks

zzzz945.jpg

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
As another poster stated, a 34" tire might effect the shifting. Have you checked into this, or have any concerns about it?
I definitely have concerns. Although it's not related to the shift points...

OP
OP
Jiggs1960

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 285/75 set up on my 2 dr Willys and have no problem off roading. Got a great deal on some KO2's. They are the heavy E range but I have not had problems when going to Moad and doing the trails there. Air down and have fun with it. I did a "rubicon take-off" lift from an eco and am sitting almost 3 inches higher but I think it would look beefy at stock height. Let me know if you want some pics and I will send some over. I also have the 2.0L/8 spd auto
Thanks for the feedback, and the offer for pics. I've found several pictures here on jlwrangler showing the exact setup that I'm hoping to do, so thanks again, but not necessary (unless you really want to, I can look at pictures of Willy's Jeeps for hours and not get bored).
Sponsored