Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
This was the death decision that forced me into getting rid of mine a few weeks back. My wife and I are both taller and we had car seats in the back. No room. Not comfy. Forced my hand, but kind of agreed with her. Car seats are huge these days. We had to move our seats up to give room for the kids legs.

It was a sad day but I’m in therapy now working on getting better after losing the Wrangler.

Ended up buying an F150 super crew. Tons of room, more comfy, but zero fun factor. And somehow gets better MPG’s which is surprising.

I’ll miss the Jeep though, big time.
Wow Dave that really sucks that you and your wife lose “the Jeep experience” for being tall. I understand though, you can’t help how you are and the rear seats can’t be moved back. Maybe when Ford has all of their Bronco models out you guys could sit in one, see how you fit.
Your Super Crew can off road but not being able to remove the roof and doors is what stinks. I’ve gotten spoiled to the point that if it’s a gorgeous spring day and I’m in a vehicle with a solid roof, I feel like I’m in a tin can. I wanna stick my head out of the window like a dog. Lol.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wow Dave that really sucks that you and your wife lose “the Jeep experience” for being tall. I understand though, you can’t help how you are and the rear seats can’t be moved back. Maybe when Ford has all of their Bronco models out you guys could sit in one, see how you fit.
Your Super Crew can off road but not being able to remove the roof and doors is what stinks. I’ve gotten spoiled to the point that if it’s a gorgeous spring day and I’m in a vehicle with a solid roof, I feel like I’m in a tin can. I wanna stick my head out of the window like a dog. Lol.
Hopefully I don’t eat my own words down the road, but no Bronco for me. Not sure it would result in more room and it would be like cheating on the Jeep (that obviously I don’t have now) but still something wouldn’t be right.

2021/2022 Raptor is the goal here, depending on ADM silliness that dealers will play. Still not a Jeep, but more fun to drive.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Three months after I bought the new tires and wheels I am still hearing about how much money I spent. Some things you have just nod and move on.
Yeah…just got my JL last week and just told wife I’m about to spend $2k on some new bigger tires within the next few weeks. She just said try not to put it on a credit card.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
When I met my future wife years ago she was driving a rather bare and stock TJ. I'm talking no AC, soft top, and zipper half door windows. She was at the end of her line without AC so we traded cars for the summer and I was hooked. First Jeep, first manual transmission. Four months later she wanted to sell it for a regular car and since I was broke, off it went.

Twenty years later I finally bought my first Jeep, custom ordered, a 21 JLUR. As much as I wanted the 2 door I have kids and this needed to be a daily driver and 2nd as my off-road play toy. My wife hates it as much as I love it. There is zero room in the driver and passenger seats. It's so boxed in. Neither of us remember her old TJ being so tight. I know this isn't a Cadillac or fancy sports car but good grief Jeep didn't give us much room, especially in the foot well. She doesn't ever want to ride in the Jeep and complains like crazy when she has to.

Are there others out there with spouses who hate as much as you love your rig? Am I crazy or is there just not a lot of room?

When you grow up, priorities change. I had a TJ too and felt the JL to be very cramped compared to it for some reason. I think its just all the extra bloated plastic in the jeeps now. The JL also has some horribly uncomfortable seats. I had constant Thigh pain driving it.

My point is, she is right. They are a cramped and uncomfortable vehicles. Don't even get me started on the foot well. I'm not even a big guy and i couldn't stand having my fee down there. YOu have to twist in your foot etc. I ended up traded it due to mechanical issues and don't miss it one bit.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I have ....and I drive both daily...an 04 TJ and a 2Dr JL Rubicon 6 sp manual. The JL is certainly taller, wider longer. Substantially more comfortable to drive....more like a mini-van.

Theee must be some other underlying issues that are causing your spouse to dislike the Jeep.

after all everyone can tolerate....even enjoy a Jeep on some level.

Hang in there......Jeeps utility quickly grows on everyone who is exposed to it. She will come around and embrace it....or you will discover what the underlying issue is with the Jeep
Good luck.

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I have ....and I drive both daily...an 04 TJ and a 2Dr JL Rubicon 6 sp manual. The JL is certainly taller, wider longer. Substantially more comfortable to drive....more like a mini-van.

Theee must be some other underlying issues that are causing your spouse to dislike the Jeep.

after all everyone can tolerate....even enjoy a Jeep on some level.

Hang in there......Jeeps utility quickly grows on everyone who is exposed to it. She will come around and embrace it....or you will discover what the underlying issue is with the Jeep
Good luck.
Jealousy, envy, loss of your “attention”, your “happiness” that doesn’t include her.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
This was the death decision that forced me into getting rid of mine a few weeks back. My wife and I are both taller and we had car seats in the back. No room. Not comfy. Forced my hand, but kind of agreed with her. Car seats are huge these days. We had to move our seats up to give room for the kids legs.

It was a sad day but I’m in therapy now working on getting better after losing the Wrangler.

Ended up buying an F150 super crew. Tons of room, more comfy, but zero fun factor. And somehow gets better MPG’s which is surprising.

I’ll miss the Jeep though, big time.
You’ll eventually outgrow the car seats and can go back to a Wrangler. I went from compact crew cab pickup until the kids got too big for the back seat to a 7 passenger SUV with 2nd row captain’s chairs for the few times a year the grandparents would visit the little ones, and now to a JLU.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am a lucky guy, my wife encourages me to buy stuff for my Jeep and loves to Jeep and camp. I have to be careful what I show her as she will just click the buy now on it. I had over $6000 worth of stuff sitting in the garage even before I ordered the JLUR. She loves to Jeep travel. Just cam back from up north last weekend, will be heading to the Outer at Banks, Cape Lookout at the end of the month. Home for about a week and then taking her and about 20 Jeep girls camping, Then in July we should be in The UP of Michigan, then the end of August, back to the UP of Michigan and over to Wisconsin for the holiday weekend. Then Flagstaff Arizona at the end of September for overland expo west. After 31 years of marriage, I would say I scored the right girl in my teens.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I’m lucky too. My wife buys me stuff for my jeep. If she is with me when I’m browsing the 4wd retail outlets and see something I think I would like to have , she says well why don’t you get it. I would like to have the Warn 9.0rc winch, only around 47/50 lbs but I really don’t need it right now. She said if you want it I will get for you. I just said thanks maybe I will at a later date. Great marriage 21 years. 26 years to the one prior to this one. Cancer is a bitch.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Hmm . . . . JLUR vs Alimony, child support, lawyer's fees. How much do you love her, the wife that is?
As the ole saying goes ...

It’s cheaper to keep’er

Sponsored

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 black on black 6 spd 2 door
There is plenty of space in a JL unless you are Shaq or Andre the giant!

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
As the ole saying goes ...

It’s cheaper to keep’er
It only cost me $31k with legal fees and splitting of assets to get divorced from my ex-wife. (we kept our own retirements as well) My ex-wife despite her 90k salary spent like she made $110-120k, which I had to compensate for. In my case it was cheaper to divorce her.

I also disagree with other popular saying 'happy wife happy life'. You can have a happy wife but a miserable life trying to make her happy. It really is unhappy wife unhappy life, because an unhappy wife will make known if she is unhappy.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
It only cost me $31k with legal fees and splitting of assets to get divorced from my ex-wife. (we kept our own retirements as well) My ex-wife despite her 90k salary spent like she made $110-120k, which I had to compensate for. In my case it was cheaper to divorce her.

I also disagree with other popular saying 'happy wife happy life'. You can have a happy wife but a miserable life trying to make her happy. It really is unhappy wife unhappy life, because an unhappy wife will make known if she is unhappy.
I like the phrase "happy spouse, happy house". It needs to go both ways.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I guess he didn’t take the ball busting as well as I thought, he’s probably already deleted his account here. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored