Sponsored

Help! My wife HATES my new Jeep!

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
My wife is from a Jeep family, she learned to drive in a two door manual Cherokee, we still have her bone stock manual '90 YJ. She was excited when our '18 manual JLUR arrived, and she would drive it to work or around town if I wasn't using it. Then the Mopar lift and 35's went on, the winch, etc. etc. She hates the modifications and the way the Jeep drives. She has given up asking if I will return it to stock and is working on me to sell it. BUT, she says, as a trade off, she wants us to get a 2 door JL instead as long as I don't lift it. She's a keeper, and I think I can come up with a different 4x4 to use for longer camping trips and towing the dirt bikes, so in the next year or so, bye bye JLUR, I will miss you, but bring on that shorter JL wheelbase for these New England trails!
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m with UTES, after 3 or 4 Wranglers, my Wife is still not sold, weā€™ve been doing herā€™s and mine forever. I couldnā€™t get her to get a Wrangler, sheā€™s just not into the ride I guess. So, her being a Nurse,$$, she buys her own ride, she got a new Lexis last year, and a Hybrid at that. When she came home, my jaw dropped and I said ā€œI love youā€ and walked away. As long as sheā€™s happy, and yes, she pays for it on her own... Itā€™s always been hers and mine. My Harleys were the same.. But itā€™s all good on the home front this way!
Yup, wife buy's what she wants, I buy what I want, and neither once of us cares.

We even keep separate bank accounts. :)

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
My wife is from a Jeep family, she learned to drive in a two door manual Cherokee, we still have her bone stock manual '90 YJ. She was excited when our '18 manual JLUR arrived, and she would drive it to work or around town if I wasn't using it. Then the Mopar lift and 35's went on, the winch, etc. etc. She hates the modifications and the way the Jeep drives. She has given up asking if I will return it to stock and is working on me to sell it. BUT, she says, as a trade off, she wants us to get a 2 door JL instead as long as I don't lift it. She's a keeper, and I think I can come up with a different 4x4 to use for longer camping trips and towing the dirt bikes, so in the next year or so, bye bye JLUR, I will miss you, but bring on that shorter JL wheelbase for these New England trails!
Geez that sounds familiar ... Had a boat once. Wife hated it. In the end it didn't work out with her. Damn I miss that boat !!!

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
When I met my future wife years ago she was driving a rather bare and stock TJ. I'm talking no AC, soft top, and zipper half door windows. She was at the end of her line without AC so we traded cars for the summer and I was hooked. First Jeep, first manual transmission. Four months later she wanted to sell it for a regular car and since I was broke, off it went.

Twenty years later I finally bought my first Jeep, custom ordered, a 21 JLUR. As much as I wanted the 2 door I have kids and this needed to be a daily driver and 2nd as my off-road play toy. My wife hates it as much as I love it. There is zero room in the driver and passenger seats. It's so boxed in. Neither of us remember her old TJ being so tight. I know this isn't a Cadillac or fancy sports car but good grief Jeep didn't give us much room, especially in the foot well. She doesn't ever want to ride in the Jeep and complains like crazy when she has to.

Are there others out there with spouses who hate as much as you love your rig? Am I crazy or is there just not a lot of room?
I canā€™t believe that you think you donā€™t have any room. Iā€™ve owned every model from the CJ-5 on up. Each one gets slightly larger than the last. The only 2 spots where I might agree itā€™s cramped, 1) the transmission tunnel is possibly on the large side, not ridiculously so, but maybe a little. Keep in mind, I have the 6-speed manual. 2) I have to duck my head when I get in so I donā€™t smack it on the roll bar. Iā€™ve adjusted to it, and itā€™s not an issue. You do have to remember, itā€™s a Jeep. Form follows function.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
Haha...my wife begged me to get a Jeep. I always had pickup trucks. I agreed to the Jeep because I could still drive it on the beach, but I insisted it had to be a manual, since I drove manual my whole life until the last truck. She promised to learn to drive stick several times since I met her over 20 years ago. We did a few stick lessons when we were younger and again just before the Jeep arrived. She can do it now, but says it's "stupid," and "why didn't you just get automatic?"
So now she rides shotgun. She loves when the Jeep has the roof off, but does complain about comfort any drive longer than an hour due to the shifting and now bigger tires. Kids say the backseat is tight, but no complaints when the roof is off. Whatever, it's my vehicle, they can deal with it.

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Had a few jeeps over my lifetime all of which were old and beat up. When the new JL came out I splurged and ordered a JLU rubicon. Lifted it added tires and made it awesome. Didnā€™t last long before my wife was driving it as her daily and I was back in the family cruiser Ford Expedition. In the end we bought her a gladiator and got my Jeep back!

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This was the death decision that forced me into getting rid of mine a few weeks back. My wife and I are both taller and we had car seats in the back. No room. Not comfy. Forced my hand, but kind of agreed with her. Car seats are huge these days. We had to move our seats up to give room for the kids legs.

It was a sad day but Iā€™m in therapy now working on getting better after losing the Wrangler.

Ended up buying an F150 super crew. Tons of room, more comfy, but zero fun factor. And somehow gets better MPGā€™s which is surprising.

Iā€™ll miss the Jeep though, big time.

Sponsored

Jeeper84

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Tj 4.0
New to my JLUR sold my TJ last week no comparison Tj was much smaller.
if the jeep is to small take the doors off.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have had both 2 door and 4 door wranglers, the JLUR that we have has much more room than my 2 door wrangles had, even a little more than my JKU had.

We have also had many Ram trucks in the past including two 3500 mega cabs and of course that is like comparing a piper cub to a 737.

My wife just knows I will always be in a Jeep. She likes them and we travel together when ever we can. She likes going off the beaten path as well.

Her current daily driver is a new Durango, she loves it and she is able to hall the groceries, our dogs and picks up anything that won't fit in the Jeep. Nice to have options but she fully understands that as long as I have been driving Jeeps there is no chance I will ever surrender and not have a Wrangler.

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
My wife wasn't crazy about my 95 or 2014 Sahara in the past. Seemed a bit noisy and under powered. I guess she didn't get the "Jeep Thing". So I was surprised when she recently left the luxury of her Lexus GX460 to get a 21 Rubicon 4XE. She loves You never know what's down the road!

Na Kalohe

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Willys
Hmm . . . . JLUR vs Alimony, child support, lawyer's fees. How much do you love her, the wife that is?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
You think she hates it now... just wait till you tell her you want to spend thousands of dollars on a 2 inch lift to fit 35's.
Three months after I bought the new tires and wheels I am still hearing about how much money I spent. Some things you have just nod and move on.
Sponsored