First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
my wife loves my jeep. she prefers to go on long rides in her QX60, but if we're going to the beach, we'll toss the top down in the jeep and go.

i told her, just wait til i lift it, get the new wheels, and install the sun shades.
Sponsored

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

When I met my future wife years ago she was driving a rather bare and stock TJ. I'm talking no AC, soft top, and zipper half door windows. She was at the end of her line without AC so we traded cars for the summer and I was hooked. First Jeep, first manual transmission. Four months later she wanted to sell it for a regular car and since I was broke, off it went.

Twenty years later I finally bought my first Jeep, custom ordered, a 21 JLUR. As much as I wanted the 2 door I have kids and this needed to be a daily driver and 2nd as my off-road play toy. My wife hates it as much as I love it. There is zero room in the driver and passenger seats. It's so boxed in. Neither of us remember her old TJ being so tight. I know this isn't a Cadillac or fancy sports car but good grief Jeep didn't give us much room, especially in the foot well. She doesn't ever want to ride in the Jeep and complains like crazy when she has to.

Are there others out there with spouses who hate as much as you love your rig? Am I crazy or is there just not a lot of room?
Weird, I'm not a small person and of the long list of things my wife hates about my JLU (and the JLU before it, and the JKs before them) size and room is one thing she has never complained of. So yes, there are many of us out here (both male and female) with spouses who hate our Jeeps as much as we love them. But they love us just a tiny bit more than they hate the Jeep, so they deal with it. Except for those that don't, in which case the only solution is a good divorce lawyer! I mean, you do have to have your priorities in order!

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport S ecodiesel
When I met my future wife years ago she was driving a rather bare and stock TJ. I'm talking no AC, soft top, and zipper half door windows. She was at the end of her line without AC so we traded cars for the summer and I was hooked. First Jeep, first manual transmission. Four months later she wanted to sell it for a regular car and since I was broke, off it went.

Twenty years later I finally bought my first Jeep, custom ordered, a 21 JLUR. As much as I wanted the 2 door I have kids and this needed to be a daily driver and 2nd as my off-road play toy. My wife hates it as much as I love it. There is zero room in the driver and passenger seats. It's so boxed in. Neither of us remember her old TJ being so tight. I know this isn't a Cadillac or fancy sports car but good grief Jeep didn't give us much room, especially in the foot well. She doesn't ever want to ride in the Jeep and complains like crazy when she has to.

Are there others out there with spouses who hate as much as you love your rig? Am I crazy or is there just not a lot of room?

How much will you get for the trade in? The wife, not the Jeep.

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Soā€¦ has anyone else noticed that the OP hasnā€˜t been around for the last seven pages of this thread?

Sponsored

American Gladiator

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

I don't know about the JL but I have the JTR and I really love it, It will seat 4 decently. Some complain about the front seats not going back far enough but for me it's fine I'm about 6' foot & have no issues with it. I believe that the Gladiator is basically a Wrangler with a bed so I'm not sure of the cabin size difference with the JL vs. the JTR, is there any. Was going to say you could trade it in for another Jeep that fits but not sure that will help.

MissRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Husband is 6'5" and a great big boy, I'm 5'8" and a bigger gal myself. The Jeep is just big enough for us. Not as much room as a Subaru Outback or the FJ Cruisers we used to have, but not uncomfortable either. It does feel more "boxed in", but it's an off-road vehicle, not your grandma's commuter car.

We drove ours 8 hours to the Smokies a couple weekends ago. The drive wasn't the most comfortable those last couple of hours, but once you get into the mountains and take the top off, you forget all about everything else.

Anyways - your Jeep is yours, I'm assuming she has her choice of vehicle. If she doesn't like your Jeep, she can drive herself. ;)

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
My wife has been supportive since I got mine, but really didn't quite get the Jeep thing until she went off-roading this past weekend with a group of co-workers and me. As we bounced all over the place down the trails and went careening through giant mud bogs spraying slime everywhere she took a few videos and pictures (which was hilarious to watch her attempt to do that, but I digress...). In those videos you can hear her laughing the whole time. She had a blast and it was great letting her see why these things are just fun, on- or off-road. Good thing I got that positive cred, as tomorrow I am having new wheels and Mickey Thompsons installed...:CWL:

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel

Buy her some new walking shoes. Plenty of room outside.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
My wife is the one that wanted a Jeep and I stole it from her. Waiting to place an order for a 2022.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Our JL is one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever had, and I've had about 40 give or take.
Sure it can bounce and sway a bit more, but as far as the butts in the seats and overall support I can't believe how comfortable it is. And unlike something like a Yukon where it feels like you're driving your couch down the road the JL seats are perfectly set up for controlling your vehicle, at least that's my take.
I agree. The JL is one of the most comfortable vehicle Iā€™ve driven as well. In fact I just love driving it on long trips because I never get tired or sore, my partner seems to agree judging by how fast she falls asleep in them.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, in Jeeps and wifeā€™s. šŸ˜Ž

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
My wife enjoys driving my Jeep *because* itā€™s a manual. That said, she will not go in it if the doors are off or the top is all the way off. ā€œMy hair! People can see me!ā€ šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø That said, sheā€™s happy it makes me happy and so thatā€™s that. We take her Yukon if my Jeep is naked.
Same here except my wife doesnā€™t drive manual. (To which weā€™re both happy about) but as far as top open/doors off? She bitches every time like I just opened up for the first time. Beware of the tricks! Sheā€™d wait till we hit the highway and on a 75 degree day say ā€œ Iā€™m coldā€ forcing me to pitch a fit and close the Jeep. That worked exactly twice. Now I keep her scrunchy things in the glove compartment for her hair and demand she bring a jacket when we travel. Even if itā€™s 80 degrees. Iā€™m sorry but I wait through that long winter to enjoy my open Jeep. As far as using her car itā€™s a piece of crap 2009 Honda Civic that stinks of cigarettes. Using that car is only last resort.
I donā€™t mean to sound like a brute. I treat her great, give her plenty of respect and let her decide many things in the household but ā€œhoney can you close the top?ā€ OVERRULED!!

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
My ex-wife complained about every car I drove. She didn't like the performance cars, the SUV or the economy car I owned. The only car that I she liked was the Prius she insisted I test drive, which I hated and didn't test drive. My last car purchased I wanted a Mitsubishi Evolution while we were in marriage counselling, we compromised in counselling and I ending up Subaru Legacy. She went back on her word, I ended trading that model in to stop the bitching. It was the best $30k I ever spent. I still own my Legacy GT.

ShawnaTally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR Tuscadero, '21 JLR Hydro Blue
I remember feeling a little claustrophobic when I first got my JK. Compared to my mini van, it is a lot smaller in certain areas. In the van, I couldn't touch the bottom of the windshield even with my chest to the steering wheel. In the JK, I can touch the windshield and the steering wheel at the same time with one hand. My knees are also within inches of the dash, but if I move the seat back, I can't touch the pedals anymore.

I think the difference is you tend to sit more upright in a Jeep. Your feet are mostly below your knees, where in cars, your feet are out in front of you. That means you have to sit closer to the pedals and steering wheel in a Jeep than you do in a car.

It'll take a bit of getting used to. Take her for a backroads ride with the top off on a nice day, with beverage of her choice. Avoid highways and gravel. Get her a bandana for her hair, keep some sunscreen in the glovebox. That'll help!
Sponsored