Sponsored

Help, my rear control arm is wallowing out the tab where the bolt meets the frame

EQ_JLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys I’m at 42k miles so 6k out of my normal factory warranty, started noticing a clunking sound out of the rear end and noticed that the bolt that holds the control arm on my drivers side rear has wallowed out and no matter how much I tighten it it still moves whenever I start moving from a stop. I have an appointment on Monday with my local stealership but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on what I can say to them. I’m hoping this is covered by some warranty or something.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help, my rear control arm is wallowing out the tab where the bolt meets the frame A7EFEA5B-DBA8-4B63-9C61-8F13D9F99753

3F05767A-BD76-4A52-B4DA-EEE49B10EC72.jpeg

5F76A560-D0B5-435C-AE71-FE79BB52E6BB.jpeg

BC9FCA71-EF7A-4109-8A93-A08FEBCC009D.jpeg

17BFD9FA-281E-4542-9CAF-51D4C4BAFD30.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
EQ_JLUR

EQ_JLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
For transparency I’m on a metal cloak 3.5inch lift with 37’s and Bilstein shocks. Otherwise stock components.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
two way to fix this, either cut the bracket off and weld on a new bracket, or weld a grade 8 or 10 washer on outside of the bracket to repair the wallowed out hole. Any offroad shop can do it for 1 hour labor.

OP
OP
EQ_JLUR

EQ_JLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
two way to fix this, either cut the bracket off and weld on a new bracket, or weld a grade 8 or 10 washer on outside of the bracket to repair the wallowed out hole. Any offroad shop can do it for 1 hour labor.
Thanks Supermike- that sounds more than reasonable.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
it's caused by loose control arm bolt. make sure you tighten it after the repair, and check for others...

Sponsored

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
They are going to blame the lift and not cover it anyway so I wouldn’t waste your time going there. I am guessing that for a while that bolt wasn’t torqued properly. 190ft lbs is spec from what I remember. I would bring it to a body or 4x4 shop to have the hole repaired.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
If you are offroading, and it looks like you are, you should be checking these bolts and all other suspension/ steering components torque regularly. I do it every oil change. I could probably go longer but oil changes serve as a handy reminder.

OP
OP
EQ_JLUR

EQ_JLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Figured they would blame the lift, was hoping that because I didn’t change the arms I might get away with some help. Sounds like an easy fix though if it’s an hour at a local body shop

OP
OP
EQ_JLUR

EQ_JLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
If you are offroading, and it looks like you are, you should be checking these bolts and all other suspension/ steering components torque regularly. I do it every oil change. I could probably go longer but oil changes serve as a handy reminder.
I do get out and wheel regularly- I check bolts on occasion but things happen 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I like this option of welding a washer to the bracket. Be sure your washer has the same inner diameter as the bolts outer diameter.

Get a thicker washer though. I've made them with a 1" hole saw out of .250" thick steel. Works really well.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Figured they would blame the lift, was hoping that because I didn’t change the arms I might get away with some help. Sounds like an easy fix though if it’s an hour at a local body shop
Regardless of if the arms were changed or not (at that height they definitely should be), either those bolts and bushings were subjected to twisting forces outside of intended by Jeep if they were not loosened, or they were loosened and therefore, your fault. Also your warranty is expired why would they ever touch it for less than an arm and maybe a leg?

You really need to consider adjustable control arms, especially now. If the repair hole is not exactly centered, it will skew your alignment.
Sponsored