Clubs

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
Much appreciated. The bumpers are in August - partially for aesthetics, but also partially so they can settle and give me an idea of how big (or little) of lift I need. Lift/level is planned for September, along with steps (for the wife).

My *current* plan is to just get some Rubi take-off springs and a 0.5" spacer lift/leveling kit. Should give me enough so that my stock 32"s don't look stupid. Trying to hold off on 35's until next year if I can.
Ricky I've run lots of trails including the Rubicon trail a dozen times and used my winch twice. Tow strap + buddy vehicle is very economical. In your situation I'd plate diffs and control arms first, plate everything else underneath second, lift third.

I just took stock Rubicon stuff off my Jl, it's a 4 door 4xe so the springs will be way too stiff for you. Might be a positive and give you more lift, I bet you get 2+ inches out if it. Not sure where you are located but you can have it if you come pick it up, just IM or email me. I'm not willing to ship it.

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Check facebook marketplace locally for jl steel bumper. Many replace them for aftermarket, and you may find a deal there.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I just have a comment on the recovery gear. I prefer to buy once, cry once.

IMHO, if I'm stuck or trying to help others, I'll be relying on the very best gear I can get my hands on.
I went with the ARB premium kit myself. Holy crap, it was very expensive! I've only used it a few times, and never to recover myself, but I can't say I've ever said, "Wow, I wish I had bought a cheaper kit and saved money." I have long since absorbed the high purchase price of that kit, and it's just a really great kit. Everything is beefy as hell, and just exudes quality. The only thing I don't like about using that stuff is that everything goes back into the bag less clean than when it came out. It seems like a shame to get such good equipment dirty, but we live in a dirty world. It is what it is.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Air - I already have a tire pressure gauge with an easy release valve. I *might* could sneak in something like this Smittybilt, but was also kinda hoping that if I'm going to a legit offroad park, I'd be able to mooch air off someone.
I installed a full-blown on-board air system. Yes, the end result does kick ass. When I'm ready to air up, I just flip up the little cubby lid in the back, hook the bungee to one of the child seat carrier anchor point thingies, pull out my hose, and go air up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me with my "offroad basics" mods list 1627363596000

It's a cool setup, but was it really worth it?

In a word: No. If I had it all to do over again, I would have just bought one of the damn portable compressors that hooks to your battery.

1. Winch - this is where I haven't really done *any* research and would love some insight. The Badlands winch from Harbor Freight seems to be the best overall value
I went with a Smittybilt X20 10,000 lb. winch, and I have no complaints, BUT if I had it all to do over again, I probably would have just bought the damn winch at Harbor Freight. I've seen some extremely encouraging reviews of those things, and they are way cheaper. Way, way cheaper.

1627363819142.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

You all have been extremely helpful! Based on my anticipated usage and the guidance in this thread, I've made some adjustments to my plans:

1. Taking a fresh start to my bumper research. Requiring modular put me too much in a corner with options. I still want a sunken winch, OEM lights, and bar, but am open to just a full width, as long as the ends go "up", if that makes sense. There's a much bigger selection with these requirements, and it'll allow me to get one that has a decent winch support built in.

2. Going to push the winch purchase further down on my list - maybe next Spring. It sounds like it's much less of a requirement than I previously though, especially if I'm always hitting the trails with a buddy (or a few) and have a better quality recovery kit with me.

Thanks again for all of your tips and suggestions.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
If you are going to use the Element for your fire extinguisher, you should get 4 or 5 of them. Was not impressed with a single one when trying to put out an engine fire. Or at least have an ABC dry chem extinguisher in addition to the element as a backup.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
This may be a little late but that recovery kit lists a tow strap. You want a recovery strap not a tow strap, they are two totally different things designed for different uses. Someone could get hurt using the wrong one. If the company selling it doesn’t know the difference do you really want their product?

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Yep I have the hood quicklift on my Amazon Wishlist as well - it's further down the priority list, though. I figure it's brand new, I shouldn't have to open the hood too much for *at least* the first ~6-9 months.....knock on wood. ;)
Go with the RedLine Tuning hood props, they don't disappoint.
Sponsored